Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,483 times

Advertisements

What about the drivers who drive around with one headlight burned out (waiting for the other to burn out?). They have one good low-beam, and drive with their hi-beams on so they can see. Not too bright themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
How about just slowing down and let them pass you? Of course then you need to fight the strong urge to flip your brights on them.

I give a flash when high blue beams are blinding most times we are met with even brighter lights. Others around here are finding the same thing happening to them. They should be outlawed as well as driving with fog lights on when there is no fog.

We are real rural so have no street lights and need to use brights for deer, coyotes and other critters.
I hear what you are saying. One of those nearly killed me the other night. I flashed my high beams and he flashed what felt like stadium lights. He chased me down and I almost missed my freeway exit. They should be outlawed.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I hear what you are saying. One of those nearly killed me the other night. I flashed my high beams and he flashed what felt like stadium lights. He chased me down and I almost missed my freeway exit. They should be outlawed.
Oh my word I'm glad you are OK. If one chased me I'd be on the cell phone calling it in. Some people are just plain ignorant.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh my word I'm glad you are OK. If one chased me I'd be on the cell phone calling it in. Some people are just plain ignorant.
I was on a very congested Los Angeles freeway at night. It would have been nearly impossible to get that kind of information. Good thought though.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 AM

67 posts, read 435,970 times
This thread is so timely. Just last week I asked my car mechanic to lower (tilt down if possible - or something) my headlights because I keep getting flashed by oncoming vehicles, even though I'm driving with low-beams. I'm in a Ford Fusion, so it's not because my car sits high like a truck or SUV. These are the original lights that came on the car. I will usually quickly flash mine back (very quick) just to show that I'm not driving with my highs on. It's just frustrating because I even drive with my hand outstretched so that my fingertips always are touching the high-beam handle so that I don't forget that I have them on, so as I don't blind on-coming cars. My mechanic checked, and they were in alignment (or whatever they do), but he did try to tweak them down a bit.

By the way... how come they changed the high beam clicky thing from the floor to the steering column? It was much easier to just keep your left foot perched upon that little button...

And another thought. Since there's so many rules that you can't have white light showing from the rear; specifications on color of tail lights; and other vehicle safety requirements... how come there isn't (or doesn't seem to be) requirements for how high headlights are from the ground? Wouldn't a standard X inches from the ground prevent folks from getting blinded by the truck/SUV lights positioned higher up? Even though the driver is sitting higher, does the distance of the headlights from the ground make a difference in illuminating the road in front? I've always wondered.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
I can't say if the distance is the same but I know I prefer driving a van, SUV or truck just because it sits up higher. My sight range is further driving one of those. When I get in my car I have the feeling my butt is going to drag on the road.

In the city the new blue lights might not be such a big deal but country with no street lights it is. Ya know some engineer got paid big bucks to think this blue light thing up for it not to work correctly eh? No offense to engineers but I am just saying what looks good on paper doesn't always work in real life.

Light beam switch on the floor was most likely moved because the one of the floor you could fix yourself cheaply. Now you have to take every thing into a mechanic to fix. With so much computerized stuff on cars now days that means more money for parts businesses or dealerships.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The roads I take to and from my office don't have streetlights. Somehow *I* manage to navigate them with my normal headlights, but now that I do more night driving, I'm discovering a really weird phenomenon:

People using their high beams at night. Most of the people seem to be unable to see my car approaching and forget to turn their high beams off for at least a few seconds. As a result, I am temporarily blinded by at least 3 cars per night.

Lately, I have decided to turn MY high beams on if a car approaches me with his/her high beams lit to teach the driver a lesson. Cuz I'm mean. But what gives? Why can't these people drive at night without high beams?
Sometimes it helps to have the high-beams on to better see what is ahead of you or popping up from the sides of the roads. Agree that it sometimes is necessary to flash your brights briefly when someone approaching has forgotten that their brights are on. This lesson comes free of charge and the other driver should be thankful for the reminder. Sometimes if the other driver hasn't reacted quickly enough or that I suspect may not be taking his lesson to heart, I blast him once more with my brights just as we approach. It's too late for him to blast me back and there's no time for him to crash in to me to teach me a lesson! I win! Bwahahahaha!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
I have a pair of yellow lenses shooting glasses. I put them on a dusk and don't take them off until the end of my trip. I have did this for several years and can stand the bright lights off oncoming traffic. Also I can see more clearly,they don't hamper my sight and even help it. I usually forget I have them on.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM

697 posts, read 1,281,263 times
out here on the plains, we have to be careful flicking our lights because the police out here will drive with their brights on and when we come up on them and flick our lights at them attempting to get them to go to low beams they consider that reason to stop you so they can give you the DUI test and have the dogs search your car-- that how they work in Eastern SD (happen to me 2x in the last 6months) really pisses them off cause I am sober

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Now, that's pretty weird. Flicking your high beams at oncoming traffic with it's high beams on has been standard practice since my Daddy was teaching me (long before I could have a license) about driving and the basic safety rules and regulations about, oh, let's see, that would be 56 or 57 years ago now. Wonder how many people they catch that are from out of state doing that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living