U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,265,128 times

Advertisements

ok...
im planning on moving winter/spring of 2011.
i grew up on a small, mostly self sustaining british farm most of the year...we lived in town, but my grandparents were rural and i spent most of my time there.
we moved here to the us when i was 16 and every ounce of me misses that little farm (which due to health reasons not long after we moved here got sold off/butchered and they only maintain a small orchard now)

we now live in the suburbs of a medium town in CT and while its a cute town and a pretty area (espcially in the fall) my little farm calls to me.
we have some chickens here at home but town rules and regs limit it to just that, chickens, no roosters and many rules...

and at 25 years old its time for me to strike out.

currently i have my own buisness working online selling handmade herbals, lotions ect...so im not worried about work at this time.
but being that im not from the us and its such a huge company, im trying to narrow down where to look for that perfect place.

so here goes:

im looking for somewhere i can get a small house and cheap land, ideally 5+ acres for under $50,000, yes i know this is a tiny amount of money but ive seen plenty of little fixer uppers with land that would suit.
im fairly handy and a cosmetic fixer is absolutly fine on that front.
quality of land...well its not too important to have prime pasture, id need most of the land open/none wooded...but brushland is fine...

im planning to set up a little homestead, so soil that would be good with amendments would be needed for a small fruit tree patch, some berry bushes and a kitchen garden, but the majority of the land would be dedicated to a small group of dairy goats, rabbits, chicken and a couple of meat pigs a year.

location: quite honestly...i just dont know, im highly attracted to coastal areas like oregon and washington, and natural areas in general like maine and the outerbanks, the veiws from the pictures of montanna, colorado and eastern tn/westen nc also attract me...
theres something about flat expanses with mountains in the distance that makes me tingle. but i also love the sound of the ocean, though lakes are also wonderfull!

id like a smaller rural town, within an hour to larger conveniences like a good hospital, a walmart, a large grocery store and general shopping.
ideally also within an hour to the ocean OR to a lake large enough to sail on and swim.

weather: this parts important.
humidity...
i can handle hot and dry...i can handle humid and cool...
i cannot however handle hot and humid...over 70% on a summer day and i melt.
i also would prefer lowering my snow totals to under 12" per year.
my biggest problem however is ice, i have an unparelelling fear of having to travel on icey roads, so avoiding places prone to ice storms and freezing rain would be great.

water acess...i need to be able to water crops, and water myself and my animals...(the reason colorado seems to be off the list).
again within an hour to the ocean or a lake would be great.

otherwise im not too fussy, id like a small town feel but preferably not a small town thats going to shun me because im not relgious, i like the neighborly feel.
a feedstore/general store. a few nice places to hang out (im not a party girl, but i do like to people watch for a local bar/pub/diner type feel would be great)
preferably somewhere that takes pride in their town...parades, county faires, social gatherings ect...
in otherwords ways to meet people that dont involve curch...

the plan is to make a list of places i want to visit and go on a couple of road trips in spring/summer to visit the places on my list to narrow it down.

2 places on my list right now are spokane wa and guntersvill al, but beyond that im absolutly clueless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ok... im planning on moving winter/spring of 2011. i grew up on a small, mostly self sustaining british farm most of the year ... we lived in town, but my grandparents were rural and i spent most of my time there. we moved here to the us when i was 16 and every ounce of me misses that little farm (which due to health reasons not long after we moved here got sold off / butchered and they only maintain a small orchard now)

we now live in the suburbs of a medium town in CT and while its a cute town and a pretty area (espcially in the fall) my little farm calls to me. we have some chickens here at home but town rules and regs limit it to just that, chickens, no roosters and many rules ...
I lived in Ct for a while also. Wanting to live in a more rural and relaxed place, we could no longer stay in Ct.

Quote:
... currently i have my own buisness working online selling handmade herbals, lotions ect ... so im not worried about work at this time. but being that im not from the us and its such a huge company, im trying to narrow down where to look for that perfect place.
That sounds great!

Jobs are few now. Keep your business going!

It may be your 'key to success' regardless of where you go.

Quote:
... so here goes:

im looking for somewhere i can get a small house and cheap land, ideally 5+ acres for under $50,000, yes i know this is a tiny amount of money but ive seen plenty of little fixer uppers with land that would suit. im fairly handy and a cosmetic fixer is absolutly fine on that front. quality of land ... well its not too important to have prime pasture, id need most of the land open/none wooded ... but brushland is fine ...

im planning to set up a little homestead, so soil that would be good with amendments would be needed for a small fruit tree patch, some berry bushes and a kitchen garden, but the majority of the land would be dedicated to a small group of dairy goats, rabbits, chicken and a couple of meat pigs a year.
Honestly that sounds completely possible.

Even before the housing bubble popped we were seeing fixer-uppers on 5 - 10 acres selling for $50k in this area.

In my township for example nearly everyone has some amount of livestock.

Quote:
... location: quite honestly ... i just dont know, im highly attracted to coastal areas like oregon and washington, and natural areas in general like maine and the outerbanks, the veiws from the pictures of montanna, colorado and eastern tn/westen nc also attract me ... theres something about flat expanses with mountains in the distance that makes me tingle. but i also love the sound of the ocean, though lakes are also wonderfull!

id like a smaller rural town, within an hour to larger conveniences like a good hospital, a walmart, a large grocery store and general shopping.
ideally also within an hour to the ocean OR to a lake large enough to sail on and swim.
I live in a forest with riverfrontage.

If you look at my profile, I have some pictures online.

Quote:
... weather: this parts important. humidity ... i can handle hot and dry ... i can handle humid and cool ... i cannot however handle hot and humid ... over 70% on a summer day and i melt. i also would prefer lowering my snow totals to under 12" per year. my biggest problem however is ice, i have an unparelelling fear of having to travel on icey roads, so avoiding places prone to ice storms and freezing rain would be great.
Good luck finding that combination. We see ice on roads maybe once or twice each year.

Higher tax cities like to throw salt on the roads. Our town does not, lower taxes means no salt. However no salt does not mean ice, the plows scrap off the excess snow and leave a packed layer of snow. It fills in the potholes leaving a much smoother roadway.

Warm enough to rain, but cold enough to freeze in-place is a very specific combination of elements. Which is why it happens so rarely.

What is more common here is a warm rain, that freezes at night when temps drop, leaving a layer of ice in the roadside ditches. It melts quickly the next morning with the sun. The folks who have it 'rough' are early morning commuters who are out driving while it is still dark.

I am retired so I have no need to drive before the sun comes up in the morning. You are talking about running a home-based business. So you would likewise only be driving when it is convenient for you to drive.

Quote:
... water acess ... i need to be able to water crops, and water myself and my animals ... (the reason colorado seems to be off the list). again within an hour to the ocean or a lake would be great.
Water is a big deal. Much of this nation is drought-stricken, and relies on government maintained facilities to bring them water.

Only a few small regions of the USA have been consistently drought free.

Quote:
... otherwise im not too fussy, id like a small town feel but preferably not a small town thats going to shun me because im not relgious, i like the neighborly feel. a feedstore / general store. a few nice places to hang out (im not a party girl, but i do like to people watch for a local bar / pub / diner type feel would be great) preferably somewhere that takes pride in their town ... parades, county faires, social gatherings ect ... in otherwords ways to meet people that dont involve curch ...

the plan is to make a list of places i want to visit and go on a couple of road trips in spring/summer to visit the places on my list to narrow it down.

2 places on my list right now are spokane wa and guntersvill al, but beyond that im absolutly clueless ...
Your plan sounds completely do-able to me.

Good luck

Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,065,113 times
The Pacific NW does sound ideal for you, however land prices can be pricey. You might want to pop into the Oregon or Washington forum for more specific locations if you don't find them here. I'm guessing Maine would be the other good choice, as Beekeeper has said.

My knowledge is of the northern midwest--MN, WI, MI. You could definitely do everything you want there, but it will be colder and snowier than you may want, and it definately has it's own challenges regarding gardening. Anyhow, I throw that out there because you can get land cheap and there are some very nice communities.

There is a farming/living off the land community just south of Ashland, WI. Very nice people, very beautiful area. Lake Superior is right there, with a large population of sailboaters.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM

451 posts, read 859,906 times
Any place between the Rocky Mountains and the Appalachians will land you in the climate condition labelled as, "Mid-Continental Humidic". Don't take my word for it, Google search the term and the maps that come up. Everywhere within that region will regularly have high summer temps (above 90°F) AND humidity well above 70% (and low dew points, which means sticky).

Alabama? I think you'd be sorry.
Spokane is temperate pretty much year 'round, but it rains nearly every day. Again, don't take my word for it, check here at City-Data.com by city, state.

There are some "cheap" lands in the high plateaus of Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada and even Colorado. The higher your elevation, the 'drier' your climate. But then, as you already noted about CO, water availability can become an issue.

The price of land, (even in the burst bubble market), is mostly driven by desirability. Since you can work from home, look for the remote areas (far from cities). There are some in the Anaconda environs of Montana that might work for you. I can't answer about Internet connections there though.

Good luck! Keep looking around and asking questions - you'll find your place if you look hard enough.

mg

Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM

130 posts, read 307,201 times
Quote:

2 places on my list right now are spokane wa and guntersvill al, but beyond that im absolutly clueless...
When you road trip it out to Spokane drive a bit further west into the Columbia basin area. In the summer it's hot and dry. We do get snow in the winter, but almost never ice storms. The highways are usually clear with-in 24 hours of any storm.

There are properties around with-in your price range, just expect them to have an older mobile home on them. Water is availible by well or we do have an irrigation district. But as it looks like you probably won't irrigate over an acre, you can do that off of a domestic well. There are Wal-marts in the towns of Moses Lake and Ephrata.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,805,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Spokane is temperate pretty much year 'round, but it rains nearly every day. Again, don't take my word for it, check here at City-Data.com by city, state.

mg

You must be thinking of Seattle? Spokane is on the "dry side" of the Cascades. Not temperate...it gets hot and dry in summers and can be very cold with lots of snow in winter.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM

451 posts, read 859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
You must be thinking of Seattle? Spokane is on the "dry side" of the Cascades. Not temperate...it gets hot and dry in summers and can be very cold with lots of snow in winter.

Right, right, right you are! My mistake.

I guess the 'S' key in my brain was having a senior moment.

But from where I'm sitting, Spokane is not cold and snowy in winter anywhere near the extent that the mid-continent (particularly upper MidWest) is.

Thanks for catching my errant advice - really. I have no desire to mislead the OP.

mg

Old 11-03-2010, 04:19 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,805,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Right, right, right you are! My mistake.

I guess the 'S' key in my brain was having a senior moment.

But from where I'm sitting, Spokane is not cold and snowy in winter anywhere near the extent that the mid-continent (particularly upper MidWest) is.

Thanks for catching my errant advice - really. I have no desire to mislead the OP.

mg
I figured.

We live about an hour north of Spokane (in Idaho) and we get more snow than Spokane, for sure. Most winters, no...they don't get what an upper midwest winter would get. The winter before last...whoa. It was a whopper.
I've lived in the midwest too and I think our winters here are much dryer than the midwest. Back there it was damp even in winter. Here the snow is dryer and so is the air. I much prefer it.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM

11,376 posts, read 10,525,773 times
Quote:
If you can't handle hot and humid, you better stay away from ANYWHERE in Alabama.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,265,128 times
yeah thats what i was thinking, i just think the town of guntersville is adorable lol.

so right now maine is on my list, though i worry about the shorter growing season and snow...
i think montanna is stunning, anywhere in southern montanna that stands out as a little less snowy than the rest of the state?
Washington and oregon. all areas of washington definatly attacts me the most right now as do some parts of northern cali and the oregon coast is stunning
and after seeing some of the pictures some areas of WI are stunning too, how deep does the snow typically get? whats the growing season like?

id also be interested in small towns in utah and idaho, mabe even wyoming...

from what im reading and seeing im thinking i need to focus my search on the upper northwest and the west coast, though i dont think if likely find much in cali...

i think nevada, arizona and new mexico might be a little too hot and dry, and while i think colorado is stunning i think the issue of irrigation even as small scale as im looking to do would be too much of an issue.

and i realy do kind of like rain lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or