U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,772,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaySquared View Post
Any advice on how to get traffic to a house in a rural area?? My husband's job situation is shaky and we may be forced to downsize in the new year. We're trying to be proactive and see if we can get any nibbles on our house now, but are not having any luck. It's been on the market for 70 days now -- and we have only had 2 showings (both within the first week, and both relocating from NY and had properties they have to sell first).

This market is bad enough on its own, but trying to sell a house in a rural area makes it that much harder!

We have it listed on the MLS, have signs at the entrance to our private (gated) neighborhood, but there is minimal drive-by traffic. We have placed flyers in post offices, libraries and utilized word of mouth of friends, family, neighbors and colleagues. We are promoting it on CraigsList regularly, and it is featured on Lakehouse.com, in addition to all the realtor sites that pull from the MLS. I'm also using social media and promoting it via Facebook and Twitter. It's drawing a lot of "lookey-loos" but no inquiries.

Open houses in our area generally don't work, and are typically for the benefit of the realtors.

For reference, our house was built in 2002, has 4BR, 2.5 baths, an office, a bonus room, a heated basement, and is a lakefront property on 6 wooded acres of land in a private, gated community. It would be quite the find for the right buyer - but that's the problem... such a specialized house takes JUST the right buyer...

Any advice on promoting a home for sale, with acreage, in a rural area?
Find out how to get it listed on the real estate sites promoting rural properties. Often a "city" realtor will not be a member and it may take you, as a seller, being willing to pay the fees required to market it additionally, up front rather than in the regular commission. The more websites your home can be found on the better.

People are seeking deals in this market as the real estate market continues to fall and the outlook is not good for improvement in the next couple of years.

You might also look into seeing if you can market it specifically to corporate executives if there are any major corporations in your area, as it sounds like it might be pricey from the description of the gated communtity.

What are the other benefits? Is it a "horse friendly" community? If so, market to horse people, etc... .

Or, you may want to consider changing Brokers to one that markets rural properties exclusively.

Edited to add: Ok, I just went to the classified and followed your virtual tour link. IMO, you are WAY overpriced. The kitchen looks just average to me, the appliances are not high end, no seperate oven/cooktop. IMO, it is a kitchen that could be found in a house priced in the mid-upper 200's. The room sizes are small with no privacy in the master bath. A small 2-car garage in a home priced at nearly $500K; is that usual in your area? Is that lake tiny or is your photo showing you are on a small private cove off the main lake? Is it a real lake (over 75 acres), or is it really just a large pond? If it is a private cove on a large lake build it up, if it is really nothing more than a large pond your advertising is deceptive and you are over priced for yet another reason. Like I said, seems WAY overpriced to me but I'm no expert in the Raleigh market.

You aren't listed with a Realtor are you? I noticed there is not one listed on your virtual tour. That could be another reason your home isn't getting many showings.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-07-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,167,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Edited to add: Ok, I just went to the classified and followed your virtual tour link. IMO, you are WAY overpriced. The kitchen looks just average to me, the appliances are not high end, no seperate oven/cooktop. IMO, it is a kitchen that could be found in a house priced in the mid-upper 200's. The room sizes are small with no privacy in the master bath. A small 2-car garage in a home priced at nearly $500K; is that usual in your area? ..
In MD the house would definitely not be overpriced. LOL I think the house is pretty and well-appointed, and I think the house and property itself are worth the price.

I guess the only problem would be whether or not the local economy supports an almost four thousand dollar a month mortgage.

Anyway good luck.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM

62 posts, read 134,124 times
Thanks for all of your input. The advice about changing the way we reference "Gated Community" is definitely helpful. I will make that change.

As for the kitchen, well, wow. Thanks for picking it apart Most people who come into our house comment on the kitchen first and foremost. The stainless oven is a Jenn-Air, which I think is pretty high end. We have an oversized dishwasher that is raised off the floor, and upgraded maple cabinets. The floor is tile, and the counters are granite, and the pantry is as big as our guest bedroom closet. There's a butcherblock countertop on top of a second oven by the vegetable sink.

Also, the house isn't really small. It's over 2741 square feet in the current liveable area, but there is a full 1700 square foot basement that has heating and air, power and phone and is 50% finished, and is roughed in for plumbing.

If you were to go into Wake County (the biggest county adjacent to ours) and try to buy this same house on 6 acres of land, you'd pay close to a million for it. Honestly.

The lake is a 35 acre lake, and we are at the last cove of the lake - so in the private end of the lake - but it continues on. People fish on it all the time.

At any rate - to everyone with constructive advice, I appreciate it very much. I'm also happy to report we have a very strong lead on a relocating couple coming to the area for the husband's job transfer. So, hopefully I won't have to worry about it much longer.

Thanks for all the advice - the wording in the ad seems to be the most helpful.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM

62 posts, read 134,124 times
BTW: Thanks for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
In MD the house would definitely not be overpriced. LOL I think the house is pretty and well-appointed, and I think the house and property itself are worth the price.

I guess the only problem would be whether or not the local economy supports an almost four thousand dollar a month mortgage.

Anyway good luck.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
Houses aren't selling quickly most places .

Why do you think this house should ?
( I too ,think it's overpriced )

Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,283,669 times
Two comments....

Winter is usually the worst time to sell a house. Many people pull their properties off the market until Spring. However, if someone is moving in the winter months, they're going to have fewer choices so that may be in your favor. My previous house sold in the fall and I closed on this house in January...

When I was looking for a rural home, I spent hours looking at listings online listed by United Country Realty. They specialize in country property all over the country.

Does anyone have any input on United Country?

Edited to add: I just went and looked at your property over in Classifieds. Your house is gorgeous. Not what I think of when I think of Rural Property, though. If I were you, I would list with a Realtor who has experience with that type of market. United Country would not be the right choice for your home...

I've both sold and purchased homes since the housing market crashed. I started out with my previous house FSBO.
I will never do that again - especially in this market. It's a buyer's market and there are many buyers who are schooled in how to find and take advantage of Sellers who need to sell their homes. One of the flags they look for is FSBO. Having a new listing that's already reduced indicates blood in the water for the sharks.

You need someone someone experienced representing you and standing between you and the buyers.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-18-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,269,892 times
its tought because your home is not the kind of property most people look for when they look for rural, but is a little far out in the "country" for the kind of folks that would be looking for that kind of home...

id advertise for a gentlemans or small horse friendly property (if your "community" allows horses on that size lot)

id definatly suggest getting it up with a realtor that lists on realtor.com...
id skip united country, some higer priced and "nicer" homes seem to sell ok with united but it seems most people that search united are looking for VERY large lots, empty lots on which to build or cheaper properties overall.

but i think getting it listed on realtor.com, along with listing it on your local craigslist (its free) would be a GREAT idea. i know alot of people thinking of relocating check craigslist to see what thigns generally go for in an area and ive heard good things about that leading to renters/sales.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM

17,094 posts, read 22,611,642 times
I prefer rural palces for reasons that would make that proeprty undesirable to me: restrictions on hunting (I'm not of the mindset to post any land against hunting without a very good reason, i.e., a small safety zone around a house or yard where children play, etc.), the water and wildlife resources legally belong to the people (in my state anyways) so I'm against locking up a lake or such against fishing...I'm anti-restrictions on how land is used, etc. To get to my point: your target market is someone with an urban or suburban mindset looking to be away from the city. A small market really. Best of luck with selling but I do doubt you'll make a quick sale...

Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,416,917 times
Have you tried FSBO (for sale by owner) online? If you live in a rural area near some bug cities I would do what advertising you could in those cites being as there are always people in the big city that want to live a slower lifestyle. You also might hones in on finding places you can advertise for people retiring or seniors.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times
Ok I have a place that is Gated and HOA.Can't really do anything with the property because of regulations and HOA.So all this place is good for is living on.

People moving to the country want less regulations to where they can at least have Livestock.

No the place might not be Over Priced but in these Hard Times it is because of what it can be used for and people don't have money.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living