U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 AM

13,631 posts, read 26,065,844 times

Advertisements

Maybe the OP shouldn't be overly concerned with where he might settle with his girlfriend if the thought of having a family/settling/marriage makes him so uncomfortable. They are both awfully young to decide to do that, she certainly is, and it sounds like she is quite determined to have things play out on her schedule.
I do appreciate that the OP was just curious about a possible town that would suit both of them at some point. But I don't think he should feel pressured into marriage/kids unless he really wants to do that. Loving someone as they are doesn't have to mean having kids with them and being together for life and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,214 times
I think there's actually a lot of places that fit your (her) list. Look around in MN/WI...I would suggest a little more southern parts of the states so the enjoyment of the "white x-mas" isn't clouded over by the "it's freakin -30 again, and you want to go outside and enjoy the SNOW we've had for the last three months??????" feeling.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM

8,629 posts, read 14,073,659 times
The U.P. of Michigan fits all the wants and needs on that list,...Quite a bit like some places in Maine do.
Marquette County is the ticket. Low taxes, stable home prices, no crime , jobs, clean air , and lots of snow. It does not get so cold ether if you stay near the Big Lake. Nothing beats Fresh water, and Lake Superior has the best nature has to offer. Marquette keeps getting awards as the best place to live, there is a reason that is so. O' and by the way, Sawyer International is 20 miles south of the city.
Land is cheap, compared to most other places that can offer natural beauty.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 PM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Many places fit those requirements in the state of Ohio. And if you live in the southern part of the state, the winters aren't all that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
There was a Twilight Zone where a man would fall asleep on the train and wake up at a stop called Willoughby (I think). It was his ideal, and one day he got off the train to live there.

Not sure they had DSL though.
They got DSL a few years back.
City of Willoughby Hills - Welcome Home

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

247 posts, read 506,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf14016 View Post
Alright. I hope this is in the right place.

So, my girlfriend - in an attempt, I'm quite sure, just to upset me - has been talking a lot lately about settling down somewhere and starting a family. She knows I don't like thinking about that just quite yet - I'm 25, she's 23 - but nevertheless, manages to bring it up at least once a week.

So we have these long talks about marriage and children and a bunch of other things that make me want to jump off a cliff. But especially lately, she's been wondering where the best place to live would be. She's even got this fairly extensive list of what she's looking for in a town or area.

I've taken a look at it, and I'm fairly certain that such a place meeting her criteria would be hard to find. But, mostly out of curiosity, I thought I'd post it here in case anyone might know a place like this. So here is the (abridged) version:

1. A place with few enough people to allow a great deal of privacy, but enough to not be completely in the boonies. So a small town.

2. A place with real estate / land cheap enough to get 5 or so acres without breaking the bank - she's big into gardening, sustainable farming, and whatnot. Either land or a house - she wants to build a house if she can't find one she likes. How she plans to pay for it, she has yet to divulge.

3. A place with rich Autumn foliage/colors. Don't ask me why.

4. A place with a high chance of a White Christmas. Again, don't ask.

5. A place relatively near a major transportation hub - Airport, Amtrak, etc.

6. A place with relatively low/moderate taxes.

7. A place where she could get DSL/Broadband internet. That one, at least, I understand.

Personally, I don't know anywhere that would fit all those. Maybe somewhere in New England (Maine?), or maybe Minnesota/Wisconsin. We've both lived in Seattle for most of our adult lives, and I know there's nowhere in the Pacific NW that would qualify.

It's probably all just wishlisting on her part, especially considering that the Army moves me where it wants to, and she works in Seattle, anyway. But I thought I'd inquire with you good people, if only to get her off my back for a while. And it doesn't hurt to dream, I suppose.

Thanks, in advance!
I would say minnesota or wisconsin...

Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM

948 posts, read 2,396,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
I would say minnesota or wisconsin...
I think various parts of most northern states would work.

The 5 acre price thing is going to be somewhat relative. Taxes are relative too - we can't getaway from those and it often depends on how you live in the end that determines which state is going to be most affordable for you on that. Things to consider on which states will be more friendly to you on taxes: how many cars? self employed? how big of a home? how much communte? how much $ do expect to make in each area? drink or smoke? These factors will have far more effect on where you end up when paying taxes than most people realize. Every state varies greatly on income tax, auto license fees, sales tax, property tax, sin tax, gas tax. For me with a family of four, all with cars and my wife and I being self employed, South Dakota works great. Property taxes are a bit high, but there is no state income tax like when I was in CO, and the vehicle reg. costs were thru the roof their compared to here.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM

I agree on south dakota, except there are not many trees, and western south dakota it pretty dry... I live in montana and have been working on a plan to move out of here, to minnesota.. but my wife and I have been pondering the idea of someplace warm... my sister used to live here, she now lives in gillette wyoming and always talks of how it was such a good move...Oh and no state income tax there either...

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I would say Minnesota or wisconsin...
Mn and WI. are quite cold places in the winter. The Upper Michigan ( U.P.) does not get as cold , we are tempered by the Big Lakes, mostly Lake Superior. WE get more snow , but its not as cold. The plus also is its not so hot in summer . few have AC up here. ( Last summer was an exception however ). Our snow is mostly powder, dry low humidity, a lot like higher elevations in the Rockies.
Why live in anyplace where temp extremes can effect your living..IE; heating and cooling costs. Most anyplace in the Great Plains will have this problem. The Midwest is known for these extreme swings. The U.P. is an exception, check it out.... The other place is the mountains in NC. and east TN. But , you need to be at 4,000 feet or more for cool summers, and they still get ice storms and power outages. Tornado's are another bad thing common to the Midwest...but not in Upper Michigan. The U.P. is as ideal as you can get, as long as you like lots of snow. ( we have great snow removal, seldom a problem).

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I agree on south dakota, except there are not many trees, and western south dakota it pretty dry... I live in montana and have been working on a plan to move out of here, to minnesota.. but my wife and I have been pondering the idea of someplace warm... my sister used to live here, she now lives in gillette wyoming and always talks of how it was such a good move...Oh and no state income tax there either...
South Dakota is way to extream as weather goes, its right in the middle of the GPs.Very Hot summers, very cold winters, and they get toronados also. If I were picking Wyoming , I would go to Jackson Hole, but , its an expensive place to live.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM

yes jackson ho;e is expensive, wyoming has a great economy though,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living