Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times

Advertisements

Well, after 15 years of living in a diverse city population about 440k (metro 1.6 mil), I find myself moving back near my home town. This small town has a population of about 600 with the larger town near by where I grew up having about 5k people. This area is very rural and unfortunately economically disadvantaged. There are few good paying jobs around and a steel mill has the best paying jobs around here. My back ground is working for a bank in a call center type environment so finding something equivalent will be difficult. Thankfully, I have family but I do miss going to a large diverse church, going to Bible studies and meeting new people. The people here are mostly 'country' and hunting and fishing is a big way of life. And I am not knocking it as I was raised around here but being gone for so long has made it kind of difficult to return. I moved back due to some stressful situations at my previous job and hope to figure out what to do or where to go from here. Anyway, just venting a little and trying to figure out where to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
Good luck to you. My neck of the woods isn't the same since I left it - the airplane crowd from Kali has "discovered" it and moved in - the quiet of the area is gone for good.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
I have lived in a moderately big city, but that was quite a while ago. Now it pains me to go back and even drive through the city because of the traffic and constant road construction.

I have lived in a community of about 300 (actually about 1/4 mile from the community) and wish I could go back every day. I loved the privacy and the land and large yard.

Now, I live in a town of about 7,000 and I think it is much worse than in the truly rural setting. Just enough street traffic to bug me, neighbors living within 20 yards on each side and not a large enough place to have an all nite convenience store, just WalMart.

Give me the country anyday.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Well, after 15 years of living in a diverse city population about 440k (metro 1.6 mil), I find myself moving back near my home town. This small town has a population of about 600 with the larger town near by where I grew up having about 5k people. This area is very rural and unfortunately economically disadvantaged. There are few good paying jobs around and a steel mill has the best paying jobs around here. My back ground is working for a bank in a call center type environment so finding something equivalent will be difficult. Thankfully, I have family but I do miss going to a large diverse church, going to Bible studies and meeting new people. The people here are mostly 'country' and hunting and fishing is a big way of life. And I am not knocking it as I was raised around here but being gone for so long has made it kind of difficult to return. I moved back due to some stressful situations at my previous job and hope to figure out what to do or where to go from here. Anyway, just venting a little and trying to figure out where to go from here.
You and I are in a similar situation. I was forced to move back to my cow tipping town because of the bad economy. I had to move back in with parents because I couldn't even afford food on my unemployment check. My town has very few jobs and is also very impoverished so I often wonder if my job search would go better if I lived out of my car in the large city. Especially since most employers won't consider applicants who live more than 20 minutes away. I too, miss the large churches with large singles groups for people my age.

Small town life is hard when you are in your early thirties. Hopefully, my job search improves soon.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Citydweller, are you able to do your "call center type" of job from home? There are an awful lot of customer service call center type jobs available from home. The ones I'm aware of pay about the same as the ones in which you have to drive to work for...

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 AM

96 posts, read 165,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
cow tipping town
I got a kick out of that.

When I was in college the last thing in the world I ever wanted to be was a townie. Years later I am now working on downsizing my life so I can be a townie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living