U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone i am new to this site and have been thinking of visiting small towns in the US for quite some time. I am getting tired of New York City and the people that live here. Living here for all my life makes you think and feel that the rest of the country is the same way, which is a naive assumption even though i don't truly believe it, but when your surrounded by such rude and crude people you tend to forget there is a world outside of this area.

I have traveled to many parts of the world and have always enjoyed seeing different cultures and traditions. As NYC gets more expensive these excursions around the world are getting harder to come by I have begun exploring places outside of NYC, NY and the local tristate area.

I have even debated about throwing a dart at a full size map of the US and just going to whatever town I hit and exploring it.

I don't have darts or a full size map so instead decided to ask the folks of the US to tell me a little bit about where they live and cool things to see and do in their hometown.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,807 times
i will give you piece of advice about driving in the southwest.. when the road is flooded do not drive through the water for the water currents will force you off the road and down the path of the flood

just go and see the states and have fun

Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,045,715 times
Our town itself doesn't have a lot of what you might consider to be tourist attractions, but there is plenty to see and do in the area. Next to the county historical museum in our town, the closest museum I can think of is the Dum-Dum Museum about 6 miles away. Our community is just kind of quiet, friendly, and laid-back, but you can find about anything you want to do somewhere in NW Ohio.

A couple of years ago, one of our sons and his wife gave us the start of a series of books called, "Off The Beaten Path" with one book for each state, giving information about little known attractions in each state. We have had the opportunity to check out some of them, but there is no way we would ever have time to see them all.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,807 times
try this areas in the southwest ..the Zion national park is a great place to live or try the hot water crater in the Homestread carter in where you can scuba drive in a hot water crater and sauna type place

also try the Salt Lake City area take the tours around the city also

Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,663,406 times
A nice 1st trip would be to go South through the Shenendoah Valley and then visit the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains and then go East young man! Here's a hint I found useful in my travels....look for Bed and Breakfasts! They are usually located in very nice small towns and it's a good way to get a feel online of where you would like to visit! I grew up in NYC and spent 25 years (happily) in South Florida and then bought a farm as a summer home and fell DEEPLY in love w/ my farmhouse, the WONDERFUL local people and the really special lifestyle that you can only find in a small town! I LOVE that everyone knows everyone and whereever you go there are FRIENDLY warm people w/ FRIENDLY smiles and genuine values! Good luck!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,067,124 times
I would go see Lake Superior--do a little driving tour of some of it. The biggest town is Duluth, which is what many people think of as a small town. You get to see an amazing natural feature while experiencing the "northwoods culture." (I'm pretty sure this phrase has never been uttered before!). My picks for towns along the US border are Grand Marais, MN, Duluth, Bayfield, WI, and Marquette, MI. A small ways in from the lake, there is Ely, MN--one of the "100 Places to See Before You Die." I love them all!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 AM

18,572 posts, read 55,502,062 times
"I would go see Lake Superior--do a little driving tour of some of it. "

OK, I'll bite. How do you do that?

Shenandoah Valley is a nice ride, as is the GSM Parkway.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to the O.P.. I guess one way to explore is Google Earth. Many small towns are just small towns.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,345,189 times
It depends on what you like to do.. If you dont mind critters and heat, there are some nice places in Florida.
While many coastal towns are well populated most still have a hometown type feel.
There is Plenty of things to do here, especially if you like Fishing and nature, Beaches are very nice and there are great restaurants.
Orlando is really not too far of a drive from anywhere in the state except maybe the extreme north.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
See Oklahoma via old Historic Route 66. Plenty of small towns on the way PLUS Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Ha, ha, some time when I drive to Oklahoma City I should drive a bit out of the way to get there via Route 66 and see the famous round barn, the new drive-in with a huge coke bottle as its sign and Lake Arcadia. An interesting side trip to make is Guthrie, because much of its downtown is restored to the way it used to be early in the 20th century.

A side trip to my home town would mean seeing Oklahoma State University, the industrial district where a printing plant prints Rolling Stone and ESPN magazines for distribution nation wide, and the little house where Garth Brooks lived for a year after being rejected by Nashville the first time around.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-22-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 PM

948 posts, read 2,396,765 times
I think it sounds like something in the mid-west or plains states might be a good fit. And if I'm reading into your post correctly avoid the common tourist zones - hit towns under 10,000 people - maybe tour neighboring ghost towns, kick back and enjoy the nothingness (in contrast to the city). You may find the more touristy places to be lacking in the purity since they are more travelled and consequently more diverse. Maybe try to hit an area that doesn't have a town every 5-10 miles that might help show you an increased contrast to the city you deal with every day - hit the small local diners, 2nd hand stores, and a motel with outside only entry to rooms, hit up the local chamber to see if anythings shaking while your at your destination - follow the simple activities and I bet you'll either be sprinting home after a few days or you'll fall in love and be plotting a way out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living