Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times

Advertisements

so plans are now underway for me to move away form ct probably spring of 2012, i need a little more credit history (12 months of rent checks as i was paying cash) and then ill be off...

being this is the plan...and i have no idea where to look for a home...
im planning to spend the spring/summer checking out various areas that might suit me.

but i have no idea realy where to start so i used that "find your spot" survey thing online and heres some places it thought would work given my answers.
in no particular order.

now keep in mind im looking for somewhere quiet, low population but within an hour to a good medical center, and shopping, where i can get a little fixer up house with a couple of acres to raise some goats, rabbit and chickens on, ideally between 3-10 acres for around/under $50,000
(i know its a long shot, but a fixer/mobile/manufactured is fine)
i am planning on being as self sustaining as possible, i am none physically disabled so a town thats not going to judge me based on some of my avoident behaviours would be great.
i also work online alot so good internet acess will be important...otherwise im not too fussy.

heres the 'list" now i wont nessicarily be looking in these exact towns, but in the general vicinity around them...
and id love any personal opinions on any of these areas.
any additional suggestions would be great, and any "must sees" when i plan my road trips around these areas would also be great.

morganton, NC
herber springs/greers ferry lake, AR
mt airy, NC
mountain home/bull shoals, AR
Berkeley Springs, WV
Hickory, NC
Morganton WV
Abingdon VA
Hot Springs AR
hendersonville NC
Holiday Island AR
Elkins WV
Edenton NC
Winterville NC
paris TN
Roanoke VA
guntersville AL

St Helens and astoria OR
Spokane and Olympia Wa also both came up but im thinking WA/OR is going to be out of my price range.

so anyone have any thoughts on any of these...
i notice NC, AR, WV and VA seem to be my top 4 suggested states. lol
i think AR and AL are too far south or me...

so im thinking of trying to stick in the WV/VA/NC/TN areas

Last edited by foxywench; 11-21-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
I moved to the far northeast corner of TN a few years ago and it's a lovely area. Acreage for 50k might require a bit of patience and a lot of searching , but I think it's doable, especially if you are willing to go a little further out into the boonies.
TN has a high sales tax but is generally lower on property tax than NC and VA, we also have no state tax on earned income.
Sent you a DM.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
thank you dubble, very helpfull

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
so plans are now underway for me to move away form ct probably spring of 2012, i need a little more credit history (12 months of rent checks as i was paying cash) and then ill be off...

being this is the plan...and i have no idea where to look for a home...
im planning to spend the spring/summer checking out various areas that might suit me.

but i have no idea realy where to start so i used that "find your spot" survey thing online and heres some places it thought would work given my answers.
in no particular order.

now keep in mind im looking for somewhere quiet, low population but within an hour to a good medical center, and shopping, where i can get a little fixer up house with a couple of acres to raise some goats, rabbit and chickens on, ideally between 3-10 acres for around/under $50,000
(i know its a long shot, but a fixer/mobile/manufactured is fine)
i am planning on being as self sustaining as possible, i am none physically disabled so a town thats not going to judge me based on some of my avoident behaviours would be great.
i also work online alot so good internet acess will be important...otherwise im not too fussy.

heres the 'list" now i wont nessicarily be looking in these exact towns, but in the general vicinity around them...
and id love any personal opinions on any of these areas.
any additional suggestions would be great, and any "must sees" when i plan my road trips around these areas would also be great.

morganton, NC
herber springs/greers ferry lake, AR
mt airy, NC
mountain home/bull shoals, AR
Berkeley Springs, WV
Hickory, NC
Morganton WV
Abingdon VA
Hot Springs AR
hendersonville NC
Holiday Island AR
Elkins WV
Edenton NC
Winterville NC
paris TN
Roanoke VA
guntersville AL

St Helens and astoria OR
Spokane and Olympia Wa also both came up but im thinking WA/OR is going to be out of my price range.

so anyone have any thoughts on any of these...
i notice NC, AR, WV and VA seem to be my top 4 suggested states. lol
i think AR and AL are too far south or me...

so im thinking of trying to stick in the WV/VA/NC/TN areas
Not in the areas you've specified but is free the right price?
7 Towns Where Land is Free - Yahoo! Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living