U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 AM

35 posts, read 94,631 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 30's and have 2 kids. We currently live in LA...Neither of us ever wanted to live in LA but we just sort of ended up here and moved back here as well. But we're pretty much over it now. We want a slower pace and more affordable lifestyle. We want to find an ideal place to live. I'm not sure that even exists? We are moving in three years when our oldest goes to college and want to look where we want to go so we can visit and save and imagine everything.

Things important to us...
We would love to live in a smallish town where we can be close enough to Philly and NYC but not necessarily to commute to either. I'd love if the town has a center where you can walk around. There has to be organic and health food close by. My husband is a massage therapist and I am a life coach/teacher. We want to eventually open our own practice together so we want a town where our business could thrive. Art is very important to us as well as diversity and safety.

So in a nutshell we want a town that is not too far away from the big cities, but somewhere we could potentially have a few Alpacas and our own retreat center. We are bohemian but both have a hard shell from being raised in England and Philly. I would also love to be close to a college that has a graduate level program.

We are moving from LA to be closer to family. We have lived out here for 6 years at this point and 9 by the time we move. Long enough to know we want to leave and be happy with the decision. I am from Philly and we have also lived in Buffalo. We like some snow but Buffalo was too much and too cold. Any thoughts would be so helpful...
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andream77 View Post
... We would love to live in a smallish town where we can be close enough to Philly and NYC but not necessarily to commute to either. I'd love if the town has a center where you can walk around. There has to be organic and health food close by.
I suggest that you start by drawing a line between Philly and NYC on a map. Then draw a second line roughly one hour drive from the first line, and to encircle both Philly and NYC, this second line should be a rather oblong circle.

This seems to be the area for you to focus on.

Many maps show a highlighted region for high-density population centers, you might as well darken those in since you will not be wanting to look at them. Really on-line you can find population density maps that can help so you can rule out those areas.

Then I suggest that you plan a few car trips to drive through these smaller towns. Maybe one week at a time, and do it every quarter. Four road trips a year, to visit ten towns each trip.

By visiting towns, eating in the diners, talking to locals, you can get a good feel of the community in this way.

Good luck

Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
You would probably also get more concrete specific answers and places by posting this question on the Philly & NYC or Penn and NY forums.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living