U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM

68 posts, read 207,636 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm the only one with this problem, then again maybe I'm not. I'm wondering if all doctors are like mine--he doesn't really have a nurse(she's a clinical assistant), someone(I'm not even sure of her title) takes your info and doesn't even look at you because she is too busy entering it into her computer, Then when the Dr. does come in he doesn't address any of what you said to the person who supposedly entered it into her pc. Did she or didn't she? If you call with a question you get a recording that lasts about 3 or 4 mins. and tells you what numbers to press for certain purposes. You do and you get another recording saying they are busy! They tell you they are sending (by computer) your prescription to the pharmacy and you find out it was never done! You call them(several times in a row to finally get someone to answer) and they say it will be sent to the pharmacy in a few mins.. You wait an hour, call the pharmacy, and find out it still isn't there!!! Is there a small (under 2500)town out there somewhere that has a GOOD OLD FASHIONED DOCTOR who talks TO you when you go for your appointment and has a receptionist who answers the phone and who has a nurse that you can talk to about why you may need an appointment and not be telling your condition to just some "clinical assistant" whatever that is.
I'm sorry for the tirade, but I guess I have just finally had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
I'm with you all the way. I'm about to fire my "doctor" (nurse practitioner really) for exactly the same types of BS. Last time I went in (as a courtesy for him to measure my thyroid levels, which I knew were fine), I was confronted by doctors-in-training piglet and winston, who took the vitals information, told me I should fondle my balls every month, just like women are supposed to fondle their breasts, and then left so the NP could make a big entrance. Never mind that the fondle the breasts routine was considered ineffective, never mind that testicular cancer is super-rare, it gave them a comedy routine for the medically challenged, before the pill pusher came in to glow over the benefits of statins.

Prescriptions? When he first started out, he understood my lack of extra cash and made them 90 day renewable. Now he is pulling the 30 day no renewals, come to the office scam. Sorry Charlie. I'm ready to stop taking the scrips entirely to get away from you.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
Wow, I guess I've been lucky when it comes to Dr's. Right now the Family Doc is one who comes in sits on the stool and yaks for a bit about fishing, a new fly he tied up that works great, a new restaurant he found that I should take my wife to, how are the kids, etc.... Then he will pop open the chart a real RN filled out, go over my concerns, do his thing with poking and prodding; the whole time chatting away about anything under the sun. Never misses a thing and is very, very sharp, but doesn't prescribe a thing if he doesn't have to. Any questions are always answered, and if there is any doubt about what the results of any tests are he will sit down and go over them with you. Never any looking at the clock, never any hustling to get out the door and to the next slob in the next room. The staff knows how long he usually chit-chats with each patient and so they schedule accordingly and I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to see him.

Kids Pediatrician is the same way. So are the eye Dr's and the Dentist we see. Top notch big hospitals are 1 1/2 hours away for anything real unusual, but only had to go down there once for an all clear. Local hospitals are quite good for how small they are. All wrapped up in small towns of less than 7000. Plus we have a Meijer store close by and a LOT of their common meds are free.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM

7,092 posts, read 11,404,349 times
I'll add my pet peeves:

Office staff who loudly announce: Is this your correct phone number xxx-xxxx? so that everyone in the waiting room can hear it- ditto name and other personal information.
Also, office staff who question you extensively on your symptoms when you call up- as if any minute they're going to say "awww there's nothing wrong with you- you don't need to see a doctor!".

Another question "Did you go for the test the doctor ordered?" in a stern voice as if I was a child who did everything anyone "ordered" me to do without question. Related peeve: laundry list of tests by age whether personally indicated or not.

My attitude: The doctor is my employee. As far as I'm concerned, they are advisors and counselors whose recommendations are to be duly considered and double checked. My insurance is paying their salary and I'll decide who, what, and when.

Their attitude: You are an ignorant child who knows nothing about your own health- we will tell you what to do.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM

11,108 posts, read 15,613,920 times
The worst I encountered: stepped into the examining room and called me by the wrong last name. He had the wrong folder!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'll add my pet peeves:

Also, office staff who question you extensively on your symptoms when you call up- as if any minute they're going to say "awww there's nothing wrong with you- you don't need to see a doctor!".

Another question "Did you go for the test the doctor ordered?" in a stern voice as if I was a child who did everything anyone "ordered" me to do without question. Related peeve: laundry list of tests by age whether personally indicated or not.

My attitude: The doctor is my employee. As far as I'm concerned, they are advisors and counselors whose recommendations are to be duly considered and double checked. My insurance is paying their salary and I'll decide who, what, and when.

Their attitude: You are an ignorant child who knows nothing about your own health- we will tell you what to do.
And the reason for asking these questions is to help them to determine how much time to schedule for your appointment. As for the tests being ordered, those generally will help either pinpoint or rule out the possible causes of any symptoms you have. By putting off the tests that ore ordered, you are allowing the problem to worsen, thus causing the costs that your (read OUR) insurance is incurring to increase.

My peeve is the people who are given directions to follow, either changes in lifestyle or diagnostic tests, who decide for themselves what they are going to do. I didn't go to medical school, I go to the doctor for guidance. I trust his judgement and if I am concerned that he might be wrong, I will seek a second opinion. If you are going to pick and choose what directions to follow, quit wasting the doctor's time and taking it away from me.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,691,967 times
Like Bydand, I have a great doctor and so does my husband (we have different GPs in different towns). The last time I went to see my doctor for refills (he gives me refills to last a year), he ordered tests because I had lost quite a bit of weight since the last time I'd seen him and I was never heavy to begin with (the cause: FARMING, but anyway) and we got sidetracked into talking about the meaning of life, our dogs, and skiing.

He's probably in his 40s, the same as I am.

My husband's doctor is in his 60s and has over the years become a friend who has had us to his home, and we have had him and his wife to our home. Which is mainly the reason why he isn't my doctor - unlike my husband, I would kind of mind having a friend knowing too much about me and my health. On the plus side of things and which I try not to abuse (have done it only once) I have called him at home when my husband had a health issue that really scared me.

My husband and I both prefer different pharmacies. My husband's pharmacist knows his medication schedule so well, that without calling for a refill, he will have the blister packs (my husband is on a lot of medication) ready when my husband runs out. When I am in the store doing grocery shopping, the pharmacist will make a point of coming to greet me, and each Christmas he hands me a little bag of free things (hand sanitizer, lotions, etc) from the pharmacy.

My pharmacist is not so friendly. That is why I prefer him.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 AM

7,092 posts, read 11,404,349 times
Quote: "If you are going to pick and choose what directions to follow, quit wasting the doctor's time and taking it away from me."

I also go to the doctor for guidance and I consider it it a very good thing to pick and choose what to do medically- it's called being an educated patient. Perhaps this is a new concept for you.

We're loaded with docs in our city and I therefore take nothing away from you. You can spend hours in the doctor's office- be my guest.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Quote: "If you are going to pick and choose what directions to follow, quit wasting the doctor's time and taking it away from me."

I also go to the doctor for guidance and I consider it it a very good thing to pick and choose what to do medically- it's called being an educated patient. Perhaps this is a new concept for you.

We're loaded with docs in our city and I therefore take nothing away from you. You can spend hours in the doctor's office- be my guest.
Example for clarification:

You go to the doctor with the following symptoms:

Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side, Pain between shoulder blades, Stools light or chalky colored, Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods, Nausea, Dizziness, Bloating, Gas

The doctor suspects that the problem might be with your gallbladder and schedules a test to examine the gallbladder, also recommending that you avoid certain foods known to aggravate the condition. The day before your scheduled test, you decide you are feeling better, so you cancel the appointment. In the meantime you go back to eating the greasy french fries, the chocolate, and the other foods you were warned against. Your pain comes back so you go back to the doctor and say that you had been feeling better but the pain got worse again.

That is what I meant by "pick and choose". I fully believe that you are responsible for the final decision as to what to do, medically, but you need to have a justification for your decision.

You may be loaded with doctors where you are, but we have 1 doctor's office with 6 physicians in our community. I don't want to spend hours (or days) waiting for a doctor because they are busy with people who go to them with their health complaints, but refuse to even consider what is prescribed (and I mean all instructions, not just medications).

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,868,792 times
I'm pretty lucky that the local docs in our area are pretty laid back and friendly. Is the next nearest physicians' office unreasonably far to go to? I think it's really important to work with a doctor and staff that you are comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living