U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The only problem I have with these show is they get a few days of training, Then are sent back in time. They lack the years of knowlege that they would have if the grew up in that time frame, about how to do things, what works/does not work.
Not in this particular case,two are archeologists and the woman is a historian.
Very hands on from her website:
Ruth Goodman - Historical Consultant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,858,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I saw that, it was really good

PBS - Frontier House: Resources: Lesson Plans
That was an incredible idea for television and great, educational entertainment.

I wish someone would revisit that on a larger scale.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 AM

379 posts, read 720,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
they used to be a show on SD Public tv showing people trying to live on the plains of Dakota like they did in the 1800's-- actually a good show
I've seen that show. It was good. What ever happened to the Waltons?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,837,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
I've seen that show. It was good. What ever happened to the Waltons?
You can, like me, buy all nine seasons on DVD.

There is another British show - a comedy - called "Good Neighbors." It's a show from the seventies, I believe, and is about a couple who decide to "live off the land" (a city lot) when the husband gets fed up with working for a living.

They turn their entire suburban yard into garden beds, install a huge wood cookstove in their kitchen, build a chicken coop and pen, a pig pen, and a pen for a goat.

It's very cute and quite realistic in a lot of ways. I watched it on Netflix instant play but I think it is only available on their DVD rental now.

Here's a description of it:

Quote:
This British series tracks the escapades of businessman Tom Good (Richard Briers) and his wife, Barbara (Felicity Kendal), who've had enough of the grind and want to live off the fruits of the land instead. But residing next door to people who've suddenly begun tilling the soil and raising livestock isn't what Jerry and Margo Leadbetter (Paul Eddington and Penelope Keith) had in mind when they moved to the 'burbs. Watch the fireworks fly.
I think it was on for only three years, maybe four. It is going to be my next complete t.v. series that I'm going to buy.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
It was called 'The Good Life' in the UK and elsewhere,here is a link to where you can watch online:
Watch Movies Online & More | VeohWatch Movies Online & More | VeohWatch Movies Online & More | Veoh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living