U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 PM

101 posts, read 400,293 times

Advertisements

This farm has appreciated about 40% since the last post 1.5+ years ago.

If the farm was worth 2.4 million, thats $800,000+

Hope you didn't sell.

-FH-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 8,064,581 times
To the OP. You seem to know so little about the farming industry its not even worth starting with you. Sell, pay your taxes and rejoice in the big check you're going to get. Your farm is worth lots of bucks because its close to a growing area. Its already not valued as though it is going to be a farm for the next 30 years but because it will become developed land. You cannot stop the spread of a growing city. What's wrong with people having homes? It will be taxed for its real market value, so the taxes will make it too expensive to farm. If you keep trying to farm it, someone will lose money. Forget it, and sell.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM

130 posts, read 310,005 times
My wife tells me to keep quiet but I can't any longer. I have yet to meet a poor farmer and it really makes me sick to think that today's landed gentry are nothing more than the descendants of people who picked a "good spot" in the land rushes.

If I had a stock portfolio handed to me for free that was at the highest ever value I would take the money and run. I have no sympathy for people who are sitting on millions in assets yet complain about those assets.

We complain the family farm is dying but then price out families.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM

17,098 posts, read 22,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP. You seem to know so little about the farming industry its not even worth starting with you. Sell, pay your taxes and rejoice in the big check you're going to get. Your farm is worth lots of bucks because its close to a growing area. Its already not valued as though it is going to be a farm for the next 30 years but because it will become developed land. You cannot stop the spread of a growing city. What's wrong with people having homes? It will be taxed for its real market value, so the taxes will make it too expensive to farm. If you keep trying to farm it, someone will lose money. Forget it, and sell.
Don't be foolish, the spread of a city can be stopped in many ways. One is by people not selling the land to be developed. Another is to put the surrounding land in conservation easements. Another is zoning. Another is for the local government to refuse to build any infrastructure to support it, or to stop maintaining roads. This works well where I live. We have what are called "class 4" roads which are no longer maintained, and often only driveable with a high ground clearance, 4 wheel drive vehicle, if at all. It tends to discourage the suburban development because the towns will not budge to maintain them just so some developer can make some money.

What's wrong with people wanting to have homes? When they're destroying the environment in the surrounding rural areas. Those cookie cutter mcmansion suburbs are an environmental disaster, besides being ungodly ugly and bland. To some people, myself one of them, land is not simply a commodity to be used and thrown away for scraps of paper. Stop gobbling up the countryside for urban and surburban sprawl.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,511 posts, read 41,105,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
My wife tells me to keep quiet but I can't any longer. I have yet to meet a poor farmer and it really makes me sick to think that today's landed gentry are nothing more than the descendants of people who picked a "good spot" in the land rushes.

If I had a stock portfolio handed to me for free that was at the highest ever value I would take the money and run. I have no sympathy for people who are sitting on millions in assets yet complain about those assets.

We complain the family farm is dying but then price out families.
You need to get out more... A typical response, but far from true or common
Quote:
I have yet to meet a poor farmer

I know hundreds of poor farmers and more that are at risk of losing everything this yr. Land does not provide capital and revenue if operationally, your farm is not a fine tuned machine with adaptive technology and diversified product options. Just managing the options / premiums in grain trading would sink the typical 'non-farmers' WHO KNOW SO MUCH.

BUT land / property DOES come up with LARGE annual financial obligations to keep it viable, and serious taxes to actually KEEP it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,074 times
Southern Wisconsin - now it's popular to auction off a farm by bids - you can pick the young couple wanting to start a real family farm and don't have to sell to the land developers.
Also - want it to stay farmland - sell to the Amish!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM

9,338 posts, read 8,064,581 times
Dear Lady: You are kicking against forces beyond your power. If the city is growing, that property will eventually become part of the city. Imagine a family farm in the middle of the large city??? It doesn't work because the property will usually be taxed according to its appraised value. That means the taxes become so large, that the farmer cannot afford to farm it and make it profitable. Not only that, but farms, not hobby farms, have gotten bigger and bigger over the years. You are looking at a big chunk of change. I'd suggest, in order to keep peace in the family is to sell the land, and divide it between you.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 AM

221 posts, read 1,044,618 times
Cool that people are still talking about this! I don't look at this very often anymore.

We haven't sold and we haven't partitioned.

At the moment, we make far more from crop income than we would from investing cash derived from a sale.

I like having the annual farm income. I use my share completely for charitable donations in the county where the farm is located and for a state university scholarship program for agricultural students. What my brother and sister do is up to them.

I did consult with a farm management company, accountant and lawyer who specializes in farmland transactions when figuring out what to do. All told me that selling my share would have to happen after partitioning, and selling to anyone at an amount lower than current market value would cost me more money in taxes than I can afford. Maybe the state in which the farm is located will eventually pass legislation allowing farms to be sold for farming purposes at lower than market value without penalties - I hope so.

I've spent the past few years learning as much as possible about the type of farm we own. Lived on a working farm, attended extension courses. I'll continue to learn as much as I can - it's really interesting! The FSA director for that county is now a pretty good friend.

In another 10 years my siblings and I will probably have to either arrange for one to buy out the others or for partitioning so that we can will the property whichever way each of us want. As of right now, we're sitting tight.

It's fascinating how emotional people have gotten over this issue! Maybe because so many of us have farming heritage, which is so deeply tied to the history - and future - of America itself.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 AM

16,796 posts, read 10,713,484 times
I really like what you're doing/have done with it.

I got a bumper sticker one time: no farms, no food
It was from a charity. The only one I ever put on my car.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,994,555 times
there are ways around the taxes.

consult an expert, but, you can find ways to avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living