U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

13,387 posts, read 10,014,935 times

Advertisements

You know you live in a small town when:
The farmers market(s) get as much business (if not more) as the grocier on the other end of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 AM

837 posts, read 1,168,413 times
Ok, here's my small town story. My granddad was a farmer and lived his whole life on a farm just outside of Limon Co. When he passed away there was a service for him at a Lutheran church in a place called Walk's Camp, which is little more than a small church and a cemetery. Well, I got lost on the way to the church which really is out in the middle of nowhere. As I proceeded up this little muddy dirt road I came across two farmers who had stopped their trucks facing opposite directions to have a conversation. Since the road was blocked I stopped the car and got out to ask directions to the cemetery. As I approached, one of the farmers got out of his truck, removed his hat, and said, "I'm real sorry to hear about your granddad".

Well, I said thank you, but how would you know that I was here for his funeral? He laughed and said there was no other reason a guy in nice clothes driving a Camaro would be all the way out here. He then said to follow him and he showed me the way to the church and cemetery. Heck of nice guy! I doubt anyone would have taken time out of their day in the city..

Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 PM

22,069 posts, read 40,057,338 times
I just moved to Vale North Carolina so now I can provide you real life small town http://maps.google.com/maps?q=vale+n...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

All the following is in reference to what I am experiencing: True happenings below

You know if you live in a small town if it only has One Stop Light 3 convenience stores
and one restaurant.

You know you live in a small town if the first department store that will open in two months
is a Dollar General.

The next one I had to get use to....

You know you live in a small town if street lights are non existent and no one turns porch lights on
so Snakes can roam freely protecting your property. but wow the moon lit skies are not.

You know you live in a small town on the Fourth of July you can sit on the porch and at
dusk watch the lightening bugs start the fireworks show.

You know you live in a small town when you have to stock up on groceries in one visit
as nearest grocery store is 30 minutes away.

You know you live in a small town when on the road your not just getting behind farm equipment
going down the road but lawn mowers and the lawn mower is what is used to commute to work.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I just moved to Vale North Carolina so now I can provide you real life small town vale nc - Google Maps

All the following is in reference to what I am experiencing: True happenings below

You know if you live in a small town if it only has One Stop Light 3 convenience stores
and one restaurant.

You know you live in a small town if the first department store that will open in two months
is a Dollar General.

The next one I had to get use to....

You know you live in a small town if street lights are non existent and no one turns porch lights on
so Snakes can roam freely protecting your property. but wow the moon lit skies are not.

You know you live in a small town on the Fourth of July you can sit on the porch and at
dusk watch the lightening bugs start the fireworks show.

You know you live in a small town when you have to stock up on groceries in one visit
as nearest grocery store is 30 minutes away.

You know you live in a small town when on the road your not just getting behind farm equipment
going down the road but lawn mowers and the lawn mower is what is used to commute to work.
Does the guy on the lawnmower carry a spare tire for the front and back? You'll find him with a flat. It says right on the tire "NOT MADE FOR HIGHWAY USE"

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,289,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
when you're 17 and get pulled over by a cop and he tells you he's not going to give you a ticket...he's just going to tell your parents. JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN TICKET!!!
Know the feeling. A buddy and I put a car in a wheat field hot-rodding around and while trying to get it out was more worried about someone seeing us and telling our parents than a cop seeing us...which would have been a real stroke of misfortune as we had no body on duty in our county at night...

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,479,330 times
When the schoolbus driver alters his route and picks up your kids at the end of your driveway.

When the local sheriff accepts a hand painted name and address plaque as ID. It was 4am,I was on my way to pick my son up from work,forgot my purse and was in my jammies. I had stopped to adjust the seat and he thought I was having car trouble so he stopped,introduced himself and asked if things were ok. Really nice guy!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM

A slight oder of burning wood is constantly lingering in the air.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM

21,877 posts, read 28,700,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post

A slight oder of burning wood is constantly lingering in the air.
???

We can smell woodsmoke in the winter when driving past most homes; but you rarely smell it during the miles between homes.

Why would you smell woodsmoke in the summer?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,289,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
...and no one turns porch lights on
so Snakes can roam freely protecting your property.
I'm not a young man, I live in the South, but I have never heard this before...

What's the concept here? Watchsnakes?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM

912 posts, read 951,537 times
You know you live in a small town when if you don't want anyone to know what you did, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living