Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
You might be related to the girl you are dating.
More truth to that than you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
<ppsst> Buddy, good work furthering the conspiracy to get city folk to choke down that stuff <wink>

Calf/lamb fries are quite good. Personally, I like them with cocktail sauce (no pun intended) like you put on seafood.

Quote:
Young guy in cowboy hat comes in..............makes himself a sandwich, goes behind counter and takes a box of snuff, goes to the IOU paper hanging on wall and writes down amount and name.
Sounds like our local bar.
If the owner is up at the grocery store, over in the post office, etc. and a customer walks in, you get your purchase out of the cooler yourself and either put the money on the counter before you leave or take your seat and square up when he gets back.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
.... A fall cattle drive through town raises no eyebrows. Sorta like what happened yesterday here.
I posted this earlier in this thread:

We lived on a ranch 35 miles from town at the time, and I was coming home from the grocery store to find the neighbors moving cows down the highway.
They split for me so I could get through, but if I'd come up behind them, instead of in front, I would have been expected to pick up the drag.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I posted this earlier in this thread:

We lived on a ranch 35 miles from town at the time, and I was coming home from the grocery store to find the neighbors moving cows down the highway.
They split for me so I could get through, but if I'd come up behind them, instead of in front, I would have been expected to pick up the drag.
I love those pictures of cattle drives

Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM

I do too!
I have more pictures of cowboys, horses, working dogs, brandings, ropings, drives, etc, etc. than you can shake a stick at.
The pay stinks in this business, but the photo ops are limitless. lol

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
When you were excited about getting home mail delivery, then find out that "home delivery" turns out to mean that there's one pole down the street with a bunch of mailboxes on it. There's no post office in town anymore, so the upside is that at least the mail truck from the next town over comes to the pole down the street!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
When on Halloween you see young kids going house to house without a parent in sight.

We use do that when I grew up, but not in any urban center in today's world.

It brought a smile to my face seeing kids being happy go lucky and not worrying about the garbage you worry about in a bigger urban area.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
9 Signs You Grew Up In A Small Town

1. You had the same barber your entire life.

2. You looked forward to reading the police blotter.

3. You purposely drove to a different town to get your prescriptions filled.

4. Your social life in middle school consisted of standing around in random locations.

5. You didn’t have to tell your doctor your family history because he knew it firsthand.

6. If you had an overdue library book you got a personal phone call from the librarian.

7. There was only one good breakfast spot but before you could eat you had to greet everyone you knew.

8. You never paid for parking.

9. When you finally got your license, you spent all your gas driving around town.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
(regarding post office folks knowing you )

A lottery winner said he was getting sack fulls of mail from people asking for money.

Some of the letters simply were addressed to.........." Lottery Winner " and the name of town. ( no peron's name or street address)

When he asked the post mistress why the mail was reaching him with so much info missing, she said........."we know it's you "

He said he told her........." forget you know me "

Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
9 Signs You Grew Up In A Small Town

1. You had the same barber your entire life.

2. You looked forward to reading the police blotter.

3. You purposely drove to a different town to get your prescriptions filled.

4. Your social life in middle school consisted of standing around in random locations.

5. You didn’t have to tell your doctor your family history because he knew it firsthand.

6. If you had an overdue library book you got a personal phone call from the librarian.

7. There was only one good breakfast spot but before you could eat you had to greet everyone you knew.

8. You never paid for parking.

9. When you finally got your license, you spent all your gas driving around town.

8 out of 9 correct for me. #3 is not good for me because the owner of the local drug store would walk it over to your house at lunchtime. She used to say she was out walking for exercise anyway, she might as well save those who lived in town the trouble of getting into the store before they closed. For #5, my Dr filled me in on some wrong information I had on my family medical history because he is/was the Dr for 99% of my family in the area and knew who had what, back to my Grandparents. #8--- I haven't seen a parking meter in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living