Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You know you live in a small town if the street you live on everyone who lives on that road are related.

Or the road is named after yor grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
You know you live in a small town when you notice as you are leaving that you forgot to close the door on the mailbox out at the street when you picked up the mail. An hour later when you get home, you find that someone has closed it as they were walking past. Wouldn't want it to get all wet in side in case it rains.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Man this thread has gave me plenty of laughs!

Everyone keep them coming!

You know you live in a small town when it is safe to send your five year old down the street to get something from a neighbor and come back.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
You know you live in a small town when you read F28 on a milk can and know which farm it came from.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
You know you live in a small town when you look at the night sky and see stars.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Here is another.

You know you live in a small town when.....

You can't wait to leave when you graduate high school.
Untrue!

I would say it's a fairly even split among the people I grew up with. Those who can't wait to leave town and those who adore town are just two different camps. I loved my small hometown and was sad when it was time to go. If there were more jobs there for the college educated (I already worked the only applicable one there, for close to a decade), I'd live there now.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
"You call a wrong number and are supplied with the correct one."

I do this all the time for the wrong numbers that call me. One lady gets upset when her child gets sick and uses our prefix and her doctors suffix. The result is that it call me instead of her doctor. I just remind her what she has done and she calms down.

A very busy volunteer in our town has a telephone one number off from ours. I tell them what they have done and give them the right number to call.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,258 times
LOLOL!!!! Something similar happened to my Mom.

She got an envelope addressed to 'Grandma' and the name of her town & the zipcode. The postmaster was pretty sure she was the only one w/grandkids in the town it was postmarked from.

Of course that was before they started sending all the mail to a central location and everything gets the same postmark...no more postmarks from the small towns anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
you know you live in a small town when, after chatting with some tourists in the laundromat while the kids played and y'all did the wash, you get a letter addressed to "the family with the 5 blonde daughters, Davenport, WA" and it was actually meant for you and was delivered without fuss by the postman to your box.

Yes, it happened to me.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
I've received mail with my name on it but a different address

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Untrue!

I would say it's a fairly even split among the people I grew up with. Those who can't wait to leave town and those who adore town are just two different camps. I loved my small hometown and was sad when it was time to go. If there were more jobs there for the college educated (I already worked the only applicable one there, for close to a decade), I'd live there now.
I agree. Here people move away, but once they start having kids, they quickly move back. Its not always true of course, but it happens a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living