Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap;
I agree. Here people move away, but once they start having kids, they quickly move back. Its not always true of course, but it happens a lot.
Yes, it does seem like half the kids want to leave this area as soon as they can [that is our impression from talking to our children's friends].

After living somewhere else for a while, they begin having children, and suddenly they become focused on coming back here [We sure see it often enough on the forums].

A high population density urban environment can be fun and exciting for young people. But the high crime, high taxes, and high cost-of-living that usually accompany the urban lifestyle does not make it a place where a sane person would want to 'settle down' or to raise children.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, it does seem like half the kids want to leave this area as soon as they can [that is our impression from talking to our children's friends].

After living somewhere else for a while, they begin having children, and suddenly they become focused on coming back here [We sure see it often enough on the forums].

A high population density urban environment can be fun and exciting for young people. But the high crime, high taxes, and high cost-of-living that usually accompany the urban lifestyle does not make it a place where a sane person would want to 'settle down' or to raise children.

Yep. And one more thing I noticed. When they come back to visit, they always mention the big money they are making out of state, and yet when they come back, they don't have a penny to their name. Why leave in the first place if you are going to come back with less than what you started with?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap;
Yep. And one more thing I noticed. When they come back to visit, they always mention the big money they are making out of state, and yet when they come back, they don't have a penny to their name. Why leave in the first place if you are going to come back with less than what you started with?
Everyone wants to go and earn the big bucks. Not realizing that big buck areas also come with high cost-of-living indexes.

They might be earning $80k/year but if it costs them $120k/year to function; they are losing in the end. It is a hard lesson to learn.

Return to a place where $20k/year can support a family, and actually a $25k job begins to look real good.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
----"once they start having kids they quickly move back"---

not true in rural Minnesota( at least the area I live)

declining enrollment is a big problem for small school districts and is the reason some schools are on their 4th consolidation.

I served on our school board about 15 years ago and the " buzz word" was "bedroom community".

Everyone was so certain families would move into our school district and commute to work to enjoy rural/ small town living .

I was sceptical and time proved me right.

We used to have about 35 kids per grade and now have about 30.
( This year's graduating class is 27 )

Another thing preventing families from kids moving is our tough zoning laws.

In my county, the zoning law only allows one house per 40 acres.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I have more. You know you're in a small town when................

The biggest library in the county is still smaller than your middle school.

Downtown isn't only a few feet away from a very rural area

Everyone knows you are the new kid in class even though it's the first day of class.

People stare at you when you go into a car wash and you don't really know why.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

If I was in middle school and high school, I would have done fine in an urban setting, provided the schools are good. I am speaking from personal experience. I was bored living in a small town and it made me angry that I didn't have much to do. I don't think a small town is a good place to raise children because what will they do?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
I grew up just outside a small town and we raised our boys in what many would consider to be a small town and we always managed to find plenty to do. It depends on if you want others to provide you with things to do or if you are willing to find your own things to do.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
In my experience, country kids need less guidance and hand holding about what to do than city kids. They may not have the 'entertainment' laid on the way kids in urban areas do, so need to be a little more self-sufficient. A co-worker of mine helped out a young hoodlum from the outer burbs of Sydney, and as she was relating the story to me, said that he couldn't be blamed 'because there's nothing out there for kids'. So now the local council is at fault if your kid is acting like a brat? Spare me the hand-wringing.

In the village near our property, I was hanging out on the front porch (y'know, chewin' and staring at city folk), and a young local kid walked past with his bike, couldnt have been more than 8 or so. He bade me a good morning, asked how long we'd been living there, and where we were from. Very polite and well spoken. Nice change I thought. And no, he wasnt with his folks and didn't have a bike helmet. (Compulsory to wear them in Aust). I'm hoping he wasn't the exception, so I'll say "you know you're in a small town when the kids are polite and can string two words together".

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If I was in middle school and high school, I would have done fine in an urban setting, provided the schools are good. I am speaking from personal experience. I was bored living in a small town and it made me angry that I didn't have much to do. I don't think a small town is a good place to raise children because what will they do?
I've seen a couple studies that turned up that alcohol abuse and marijuana use rates were significantly higher among rural teenagers than they were under either suburban or inner city urban teens.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM

252 posts, read 732,916 times
You are right about those stats. It's not the 'nothing to do' syndrome, though, that creates the alcohol and drug abuse. Our small towns, with the low pop., often contain people with low paying jobs and they are trying to raise kids with little money and few parenting skills...just as you would find in industrial areas of the city. (That's not to say that some of the problem isn't found within the better paid echelons, as well...just like in the city.)

If I knew how to solve the problem, I'd be on TV, but you know as well I do, it's a massive problem and the solution isn't "in a box," for sale at Walmart.
I raised well-adjusted kids who would be kind to you, in an instant, and can support themselves. And, I did it in a rural area. I have to tell you, though, they both started earning their own money, at an early age. AND, school work and activity was our priority. The small school supported my efforts to participate.

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 05-20-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living