Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Ha! No...more of the cowboy hat type guy...kinda looked askance at any guys wearing flowers in their hair. But, each to his own! ...and this was about 10 years after flower-wearing was fashionable.

I think I learned more in the few years in SF than in any other similar number of years...not all of it things I wanted to know!
I lived in California for 36 yr's. (1972-2007)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I lived in California for 36 yr's. (1972-2007)
I was only in SF for 3 years. I can imagine a culture shock of sorts as well going from SoCal to OK.

This thread about small town reminded me of something I may have posted before...if so, I apologize for repeating myself.

The police report in the weekly paper of my folks small town once had only 2 calls reported...one of them being police being called to break up a cat and porcupine fight.

A couple of years ago where I am now, the police were called to deal with a wild turkey that was preventing an older woman from leaving her house.

I guess that's better than the grizzlies of my boyhood home...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM

216 posts, read 829,543 times
I can't believe I read this entire thread only today! Covering what was it 3 years?
I just love it...
And I remember more and more stories from my own experience but I'm getting a bit sleepy now, so maybe tomorrow...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I was only in SF for 3 years. I can imagine a culture shock of sorts as well going from SoCal to OK.

This thread about small town reminded me of something I may have posted before...if so, I apologize for repeating myself.

The police report in the weekly paper of my folks small town once had only 2 calls reported...one of them being police being called to break up a cat and porcupine fight.

A couple of years ago where I am now, the police were called to deal with a wild turkey that was preventing an older woman from leaving her house.

There was a culture shock, but it was good. OK's the complete opposite of SoCal. No Smog, fresh air, a slower lifestyle,( I was tired of the fast lane), the cost of living is very affordable, no urban sprawling, crime is like,...next to zero (in comparison), 4 seasons.( but most of all, illegal aliens are next to obsolete).
Originally I was born and raised on a dairy farm in NW Michigan. I guess got homesick for the country...and it's all here..I'm 56 and not getting any younger.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:

A cat and porcupine fight? Who won? Did the cop get "quilled"? LOL.
I once had to call the local police about a skunk in my trash can. The large trash can was right next to our porch in back. The skunk must have been on the porch the night before, leaned into the trash can looking for food, and fell in. My daughter and some friends were sitting on the porch, and heard this "thump, thump, scratch, scratch." We looked in, and there were these dark eyes looking up at us, and a visible white streak. The girls, needless to say, started shrieking. I put the lid on the can and immediately called our small town police department (who else do you call?). I was told to put the garden hose in the trash can, turn the water on, and drown the skunk. I couldn't do that to the poor creature. My daughter and I picked up the trash can (with the lid on it), carried it to the adjoining field, and at the count of three quickly dumped the skunk. We ran for our lives. He (or she) waddled off into the woods to live happily ever after.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM

318 posts, read 869,997 times
Walmart is either the best thing or the worst thing to happen to your town, in your opinion.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM

318 posts, read 869,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
A cat and porcupine fight? Who won? Did the cop get "quilled"? LOL.
I once had to call the local police about a skunk in my trash can. The large trash can was right next to our porch in back. The skunk must have been on the porch the night before, leaned into the trash can looking for food, and fell in. My daughter and some friends were sitting on the porch, and heard this "thump, thump, scratch, scratch." We looked in, and there were these dark eyes looking up at us, and a visible white streak. The girls, needless to say, started shrieking. I put the lid on the can and immediately called our small town police department (who else do you call?). I was told to put the garden hose in the trash can, turn the water on, and drown the skunk. I couldn't do that to the poor creature. My daughter and I picked up the trash can (with the lid on it), carried it to the adjoining field, and at the count of three quickly dumped the skunk. We ran for our lives. He (or she) waddled off into the woods to live happily ever after.
Like skunks can't swim? lol... And I'm assuming you weren't expected to hold the thing under water (and thus, get sprayed/scratched/diseases/etc).

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

There's been a couple times that I've got up in the morning, went to the kitchen for some coffee and there were 2 fat possums in the middle of the floor.
They had to be females because, they had their mouth wide open, yapping at each other and hissing at me .

Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times
You recognize people at Wal Mart, at the grocery store, at the movies, and at the mall...but you find out you don't know them...you just see them a lot because everyone always goes to the same place.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
You know you live in a small town if you dated someone in high school only to find out that you're related to them.

You know you live in a small town if your town has a big parade or event for a movie star that was from there originally.

(And no, that's not Carlin's routine)

OMG. So true. The big thing here is Josh Duhamel and his wife, Fergie. Apparently, they have a house here somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living