U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,804,476 times

Advertisements

While you are searching I thought you might enjoy this if you haven't already seen it. Written by one of our CD members and a very interesting account of their process in going off grid.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM

35 posts, read 52,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bemom View Post
I know...bugs are a problem. I meant mosquitos really. Other bugs are fine
bat houses are great for that, we have one by a house on the river and they really keep the mosquitos down.....oh- and for some reason(i forgot why) not eating bananas when the mosquitos are out helps to keep them from biting you.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 19,951 times
Wow! Thanks Dubble T , that TN post was amazing. Never could figure out how to see their house all finished. But, what I did see was very cool. Thanks for sharing.
happy2bemom

Last edited by happy2bemom; 01-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,583,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
While you are searching I thought you might enjoy this if you haven't already seen it. Written by one of our CD members and a very interesting account of their process in going off grid.
Thanks for linking to Lisa's photo/journal. Got some good tips like PEX for the plumbing of our off-grid home.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,858,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bemom View Post
We are looking for a place to retire that has minimal bugs, a long growing season, and adequate water and sunshine for living off the grid.

Does such a place exist?
If anyone has any suggestions, we'd sure appreciate it.
We are currently in the 'go and check the place out' mode and have a few years of planning left. But, we may decide to buy some land now to 'sit on' and get some things planted before we actually retire.

Thanks for any suggestions!
happy2bemom
You do get accustomed to the bugs after a while.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,370,244 times
Being in love with the idea of living in rural America and actually doing it are two different things. The biggest issue by far is not bugs, it is distance. It is the distance between you and the county road that isn't plowed. It is the time and distance between you and the nearest emergency vehicle. It is the distance between you and the hospital. It is the distance between you and shopping for groceries, or an auto part, or a belt for the washer, etc.. It is the distance and time between you and the funace, septic, well, hardware, or lumber, guy.

Forty years ago we planned for our golden years with a yard full of beautiful flowers and a vegetable garden in the country. It was an idyllic dream. The last 25-years have been spent with doctors, surgeons, nurses and pharmacies. There is no flowers, no garden; it was plowed under because we couldn't do the work any longer.

Now we live in a small rural town where the road is plowed, the grocer is two blocks, the EMT is 5 blocks away, the pharmacy delivers, the city sprays and we still have a very large lot. And yes, we are still 50 miles from the nearest city that has a population of more than 25,000.

Our area is very nice. jt js green space in the Mississippi Flyway witb rolling hills, farms and ranchs that is separated by forested areas, streams, lakes and rivers. You see flowers peeking out of the earth in March and snow coverd Wheat in January - so I think it is a perfect growing season - for me. One exceptionally warm fall i had fresh tomatoes from my garden on the Thanksgiving table. it was divine and has not happened since.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM

The biggest problem I encountered as a senior living in rural areas is lack of quality medical care and county health departments that failed to enforce basic sanitation practices in public buildings such as restaurants, meat departments in grocery stores, public bathrooms, hospitals and nursing homes. This is why MRSA is a community problem. Been there, done that, too.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nice post - did they ever explain what they did for a living? That project did not look cheap.... In my humble opinion, most people face the fact that going rural from your city life will require lots of savings and those savings can be depleted very quickly if no income is added to them...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Nice post - did they ever explain what they did for a living? That project did not look cheap.... In my humble opinion, most people face the fact that going rural from your city life will require lots of savings and those savings can be depleted very quickly if no income is added to them...
Some of their income is from flipping houses, they have another thread about a house they just flipped in FL. Our Flip House......A Weekly Story
As for any other income, I couldn't tell you, don't recall it being brought up at all.... but yes, some of those projects looked like they involved a fair investment of time and effort and money. From the sound of it once you're off grid it isn't a terribly expensive lifestyle, but getting to that point looks like it involves a little bit of pocket change!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM

I looked at solar panels for may because Ameren was buying electricity at the time. What i learned is it would cost me a small fortune i did not have and i would gain little in savings. So I did some of the other suggested things that reduced my eletric bill considerably. The one thing i did not do that i should ave done was inststall the "on demand" water heater. At. the time it was over $1K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living