U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,230,014 times

Advertisements

Warshing Clothes Recipe

Never thought of a "warsher" in this light before.

"Warshing Clothes Recipe" -- imagine having a recipe for this ! ! !

Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:

This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - spelling errors and all.

WARSHING CLOTHES

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things, make 3 piles

1 pile white,

1 pile colored,

1 pile work britches and rags.

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

Paste this over your washer and dryer

Next time when you think life is hard...read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer.

For you non-southerners - "wrench" means rinse

Okie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,433,930 times
LOL the "wrench" had me guessing and then laughed when it finally hit me what wrench was. Great bit of information here and how life really was. I do try to hang my clothes on the line as often as I can.Right now the snow is too deep to get out there and lines too close to the ground.LOL Snow on the ground.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM

164 posts, read 871,405 times
This isnt really that old. I can remember my mom and grandmother washing clothes like this in the 60s early 70s. Then again I grew up in the backwoods too. Same with the outhouses as we had no indoor toilets. Kids today will never experience these things and are spoiled for it. Doing without will humble you quickly.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

6,501 posts, read 5,588,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
This isnt really that old. I can remember my mom and grandmother washing clothes like this in the 60s early 70s. Then again I grew up in the backwoods too. Same with the outhouses as we had no indoor toilets. Kids today will never experience these things and are spoiled for it. Doing without will humble you quickly.

I sure know what it's like to be humbled by experiencing no indoor plumbing. When DH and I first got engaged, he took me to visit his parents. They had just bought a rustic cabin (with a kitchen, living/dining room, 2 bedrooms, a "plumbingless" bathroom, and a sleeping loft) on 5 or 6 wooded acres. It had been used as a summer lodge by the former owners, not a year-round residence, and it wasn't well winterized.

Needless to say, we visited in the dead of winter. No hot showers (we took basin baths with water heated on the wood stove), and had a choice of treking through the snow in zero degree weather or using a portapotty. My mother-in-law did her laundry in a tub by hand, too. The only running water was in the kitchen - an old fashioned hand pump. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been in the middle of the winter - it was a fun place to visit in the summer, and my kids always enjoyed spending weeks there. (They eventually got indoor plumbing).

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

739 posts, read 864,034 times
Passing on basic knowledge to the next generation is always a good thing.... even today with our up- to -date washers and dryers.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,434,182 times
Cool reading. Isn't the "R" silent though?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM

220 posts, read 390,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Cool reading. Isn't the "R" silent though?
I suppose that would depend on what century and part of the country you are living in.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,434,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I suppose that would depend on what century and part of the country you are living in.
True. Very true.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM

739 posts, read 864,034 times
When spoken, the "R" is never silent.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,433,930 times
Default Snowy lines

Enjoyed this. Right now my clothes line is a little too close to the ground to hang clothes on it. That snow is almost three foot deep.LOL Anxious for the fresh smell of line dried clothes and sheets again.
Attached Thumbnails
Warshing Clothes Recipe-1-16-11-short-clothesline.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or