U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM

24 posts, read 50,704 times

Advertisements

John - you have me worried. "You might want to chat with some farmers and get some feedback on the draconian laws our government now enforces on people for growing food." Can you give me some more info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,025,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarmer View Post
John - you have me worried. "You might want to chat with some farmers and get some feedback on the draconian laws our government now enforces on people for growing food." Can you give me some more info?
I think most of them apply to organic farmers and I somehow thought you might be planning on that.

Make sure you have water rights that will allow you to really farm all of your acreage.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,067,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarmer View Post
Ohio looks promising Sunsprit - any particular area that you like most?
CrazyMe - send me the link via PM and will take a look. Likely too cold but you never know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Any other suggestions/comments?
Oh, I didn't say I wanted you to buy our family farm! I am ever hopeful that we could buy it someday... Okay, that isn't fair to my uncle, but come on, post Civil War to today it has been in our family! It went from raw land to the current farm all by my family.

Anyhow, the idea was that if you could deal with some cold weather, you could get cheap deals.

Also, check the last posting on the What to do about the Family Farm on this forum. The poster mentioned checking out different programs, loans and grants from the USDA. Perhaps there is a program that would fit your family and plans perfectly but that is only available in a certain area. That would help narrow your search down.

Really, there are still many great areas to farm. And the small family farm is being sold off fast still. If it were me, I would stay firm to your weather needs (or wants), as well as gaging how far from family you want to be. Use those for perimeters. If you can't find available farm acreage in that area, slowly move out from there.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

3,090 posts, read 5,545,822 times
Here is an example of what you can find in Michigan: 3315 15 Mile Rd, Kent City, MI 49330

This particular place is within 30 minutes of Grand Rapids, which is a very nice mid-size city. If you want a true four seasons, western Michigan is a good place for it. It is colder than Virginia, but being close to Lake Michigan moderates the winters so that it's not as cold as Wisconsin, Minnesota, or even Chicago. Spring, summer and fall are unbeatable! There is also a good amount of lake effect snow in the winter, which makes for nicer winter scenes than brown, dead grass, IMO. That part of the state also has gently rolling hills that are very nice.

Last edited by michigan83; 01-12-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 50,704 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. And CrazyMe - sorry about the misunderstanding! (I wish you the best)

Will keep looking, researching, and reading. Keep the ideas coming - glad to consider all.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Many family farms are up for sale cheap in Wisconsin--probably in Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa, too. However, that may be too cold for you or too far away from family.

For instance, our family farm (130 years) is for sale, 65 acres, barn, several outbuildings and two houses for just over $200,000. I wish I could buy it and keep it in the family...
Yeah but what's the weather like in WI?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 AM

220 posts, read 390,440 times
http://www.homes.com/listing/122921125/13211_Yoder_Rd_ROANOKE_IN_46783 (http://http//www.homes.com/listing/122921125/13211_Yoder_Rd_ROANOKE_IN_46783 - broken link)

Huntington, Huntington County, Indiana Land for sale, Huntington, Huntington County, Indiana acreages for sale, Huntington, Huntington County, Indiana lots for sale at LandWatch.com

I hope one of these links will give you a glimpse of what is available in the area. These are very close to Ft. Wayne.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM

220 posts, read 390,440 times
Wabash County, Indiana Land For Sale

I'm sorry the first link didn't take AND I already closed the window before I checked. Here is another listing that might be helpful.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,067,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Yeah but what's the weather like in WI?
Like I said, probably too cold for the OP's needs/desires. Some people don't like the cold and snow and for others it doesn't bother. No matter what your preferences are, it is definitely farmable land and has been for well over 100 years.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 AM

672 posts, read 661,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What you are proposing is a self-sufficient lifestyle with the possibility of producing more than you can consume for income from the property. Don't confuse this with real "farming" on a larger scale,
Small farming operations that supply Farmers Markets and the like is real farming. Can be a very great income as well. His topic mentioned nothing on a large scale and specifically stated "small". This is real farming unlike those corporate farms that you are referring to as "real".

I would state to you, Don't confuse the those with real farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living