Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

How many people have encountered this attitude?

I've encountered this attitude many times reading about rural areas, and in real life (being a resident of a "rural" area).

The simple fact is this divide exists. Urbanites, especially wealthy urbanites, are often portrayed as having a much different attitude than life-long residents of rural areas. Urbanites often establish a retirement or vacation or permanent home in rural areas seeking "peace" and "tranquility", only to find that they cannot take their nature hike on their newly-purchased acreage because it's hunting season and the risk of stray bullets hitting them is worse than in the toughest urban ghetto, or to discover on their weekend retreat that the "serene" and "ecologically precious" trails running through their wooded country estate have ruts in them from youth on ATVs and dirt bikes.

What do you think of this? City-people who have moved or established a home country-side, what was your perception of the natives, and was there any culture shock? Did you bridge it, and if you did, what did your "peace offering" consist of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM

350 posts, read 847,916 times
Reminds me of the pamphlet my county printed and realtors give out.

http://swcd.fultoncountyoh.com/pdf%2...20brochure.pdf

Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post

Interesting. I've heard stories about subdivisions being built with farmland surrounding them, and the new residents complaining about manure and other aspects of "agricultural" life.

I know a man who lived in a (semi-)rural area, divorced his wife, subdivided his land into two lots, sold one and kept the other to himself, and went off to Florida. When he returned, he built a house on his plot of property. On one side (across the road), kids would shoot high-powered rifles at all hours of the night. The police couldn't do anything about it, as it didn't violate any ordinance or law. The neighboring plot opposite to the one he sold was bought up by a couple of 4x4 truck enthusiasts, who would drive their trucks loudly through challenging muck and springs after a hard day's work. He called the police on them, too, but alas, there was nothing they could do about it.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM

91 posts, read 285,899 times
You also have to think of the flip side; we don't want our "precious" hunting season taken away because one couple wants to take their stroll through the woods. There are plenty of places where I live that you can't hunt but can hike. How about people taking away where we can fish because their property is on the boarder of the creek?

That attitude you get is because 20 years ago things were completely different. People moving into town were friendly. Now people get defensive over people moving in for fear because out-of-towners want to come in and change our way of life.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_state View Post
You also have to think of the flip side; we don't want our "precious" hunting season taken away because one couple wants to take their stroll through the woods. There are plenty of places where I live that you can't hunt but can hike. How about people taking away where we can fish because their property is on the boarder of the creek?

That attitude you get is because 20 years ago things were completely different. People moving into town were friendly. Now people get defensive over people moving in for fear because out-of-towners want to come in and change our way of life.
Well, I do agree, but in a small way. Laid back small towns where everyone knows everyone and trusts thy neighbour while youre out and leave your doors open...you just dont do that in bigger areas. I was kind of baffled at lifestyles out here, and since Ive always been a small town girl all my life (by preference) it took some time to getting used to seeing people leave their car windows open, or neighbours going into town and their front doors are left open (though most of us have storm screen doors) or hearing of many who dont bother to have to lock cars in their own driveways. Having lived in cities, you just dont dare see that. I know of people who say their area of a subdivision is 'safe' but yet if that was so, why do they lock their doors and windows tighter than fort knox during the day, and have house alarms for when they are away??? Not saying smaller towns dont have crime, but after living in other areas, it took some getting used to.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting. I've heard stories about subdivisions being built with farmland surrounding them, and the new residents complaining about manure and other aspects of "agricultural" life.

I know a man who lived in a (semi-)rural area, divorced his wife, subdivided his land into two lots, sold one and kept the other to himself, and went off to Florida. When he returned, he built a house on his plot of property. On one side (across the road), kids would shoot high-powered rifles at all hours of the night. The police couldn't do anything about it, as it didn't violate any ordinance or law. The neighboring plot opposite to the one he sold was bought up by a couple of 4x4 truck enthusiasts, who would drive their trucks loudly through challenging muck and springs after a hard day's work. He called the police on them, too, but alas, there was nothing they could do about it.
I think this is a more common occurrence than people think. I also think a lot of rural folk get carried away and do this even more to scare newcomers away. It is not without reason, nobody wants to see their free-roaming lands turned into subdivision, taxes go higher etc. etc. On the opposite side, people like me who moved from Europe expect a small town or a village in the States to be like the ones in Europe, quaint, quiet, clean, no crime, etc. NOT HAPPENING here!

On the flip side, you can move to a small town here surrounded by millions of acres of forest, can't find that in Europe any more, too populated.

Europeans do take care of what they have left better than Americans.

Europeans in the countryside are much cleaner and more educated. A German or Swedish or French village looks nice and quiet and safe (and it is). You just don't see trash on the streets or trash driving around in their beaters or these dirty looking rednecks giving you the evil eye, their brains the size of a chick pea . Now, I have also been to nice small towns in USA but I suspect they are more out West, places like Wyoming for example (Dubois comes to mind, e.g.)

Problem with a lot of small towns is that land rich people become cash rich by selling their land and leave. The poor "leftovers" are what you see burning fires at night, going riding in the mud and generally being a nuisance.

People generally move to the country for only a few reason. The wealthy or people who have made an honest living all their lives go (back) to the country because they think they will enjoy Nature and quiet. The frustrated, mostly uneducated, unfortunately, move (back) to the country to rape Nature on their ATVs, shoot everything in sight and generally re-enact "my redneck vacation" in real life and more. Then there are those who have second homes there and those who want to be self-sufficient.

Finally: If you expected that the majority of people in a small town are farmers or ranchers, boy, you are in for a surprise
Finally 2: a small town can have a lot of bad people and can have "projects" on par with big cities and can have crime rates of a bigger town three or four times its size. If you didn't know that, well, now you do

OD

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
tvdxer, Are you still living in woodland with the folks?
Duluth is hardly rural.

The police would have stopped them, if this did happen as even the rural townships have noise ordinances.
plus,
In the state of MN, you need to be 500 feet from an inhabited building to shoot without permission. So if you have an inhabited building closer than 500 feet from the place you want to shoot, you need to get their permission.

And I believe the DNR does not allow you to hunt with a rifle at night only a shotgun can be used after sundown.

What's with all the property use Q's from tresspassing to new land uses...
I guess this is another trespassing thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting.
On one side (across the road), kids would shoot high-powered rifles at all hours of the night. The police couldn't do anything about it, as it didn't violate any ordinance or law. .

Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
I'm okay with anyone who moves here as long as they are willing to work with the weather and wildlife. Oh, and don't want to pave every road and mooch off our social services (because it seems it is never enough for career bums).

I do get angry when I see town people buy a small place and then start fencing off their ponds and streams, which prevent wildlife from drinking. We're in an arid area. And, if you talk to those same jerks they will gush over having seen antelope, deer of elk. They are also guilty of planting non-native grasses and then wasting water in an attempt to keep it looking like spring throughout our hottest, driest months.

So, I guess the ones who come loaded with ignorance and arrogance really get to me. But, I will say, these are never the wealthiest of our newcomers. The most miserable newbies, the ones who complain about everything here seem to be often living above their means and don't appear to be happy people anyway.

I doubt they would make good additions to any area or community.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post

What a great brochure. It should be required reading.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I'm okay with anyone who moves here as long as they are willing to work with the weather and wildlife. Oh, and don't want to pave every road and mooch off our social services (because it seems it is never enough for career bums).

I do get angry when I see town people buy a small place and then start fencing off their ponds and streams, which prevent wildlife from drinking. We're in an arid area. And, if you talk to those same jerks they will gush over having seen antelope, deer of elk. They are also guilty of planting non-native grasses and then wasting water in an attempt to keep it looking like spring throughout our hottest, driest months.

So, I guess the ones who come loaded with ignorance and arrogance really get to me. But, I will say, these are never the wealthiest of our newcomers. The most miserable newbies, the ones who complain about everything here seem to be often living above their means and don't appear to be happy people anyway.

I doubt they would make good additions to any area or community.
Just curious, why does it bother you that the wildlife can't drink the water? (I agree with you but maybe we agree for different reasons). Most wildlife gets hunted down anyways. Wyoming is about to get the open season on wolves unless the Feds do something about it.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living