U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 43,133 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking for some ideas of where to move as I cannot stand where I live now. I was thinking northern Michigan and somewhere in east Texas BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM

221 posts, read 1,044,226 times
Depends on what kind of weather you want. If by Northern Michigan you mean the "UP" (Upper Penninsula) - it gets TONS of snow in the winter. It's also economically depressed. But it's beautiful and there's lots of outdoor stuff to do - fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking. I think Michigan has high taxes, but you'd have to do research on this.

I live in Northeast Minnesota which is very forested and rural. It is pretty similar to the UP, except the economy is better. We get less snow than the UP but it's colder here (about -15 F tonight). Same great outdoor activities. Wages are high (but jobs aren't easy to come by) because this is a union stronghold. Jobs are mostly in mining, other outdoor work like railroads and logging, and tourism. Housing costs are pretty low - an ordinary working class/middle class house rents in the $450 - $650 range. You can buy a livable mobile home for $5000 or a lake housse for millions. I bought a nice fixer for $52,000. Taxes are lower than in MI. This is a Democrat/Farm/Labor area, so republicans can be scorned, although Palin has some popularity. Lifestyle is pretty much live and let live.

If you don't want cold and snow you'll have to look further south. If you can take a hot summer I've always liked rural SE Oklahoma. It's beautiful with low population and lots of outdoor activities. And it's certainly cheap, but I don't know about jobs. Have fun hunting!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 PM

16,786 posts, read 10,700,818 times
talk about 2 different climates-no snow/lots of snow.

1st thing is to decide on a life style. If you love golf, tennis, sunbathing, etc ya might want to move to TX.
Skiing, ice skating and/of fishing, sledding, go with MI

Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 AM

18,995 posts, read 23,858,071 times
Arkansas. Pretty good weather, inexpensive and realy nice people.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,065,113 times
Do you need to look for a job when you move? If so, what is your field? Are you moving with a family so you need good schools? What outdoor actitivities do you like to do? Are you a quiet-sport person or a motorsport person? Do politics play a big role in your life? What cost-of-living range are you comfortable in? Do you prefer cold or heat or an even, moderate temperature for most of the year? And exactly where do you live now, that you "cannot stand"?

Almost everywhere is a nice place to someone. We can give out ideas for years and still not answer your question the well.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
talk about 2 different climates-no snow/lots of snow.

1st thing is to decide on a life style. If you love golf, tennis, sunbathing, etc ya might want to move to TX.
Skiing, ice skating and/of fishing, sledding, go with MI
Nothing like stereotyping. MI has more golf courses than TX, and a LOT more beach. Skiing, and winter sports are only for 3 or 4 months as well.

It all depends on what the OP is looking for and what they mean by "northern" MI. Some people call where I live Northern Michigan, for others that means only the UP.

Do they need a job? Love the outdoors? Need lots of other people around? Nightlife? Ever been to either place? Need lots of water around? Need lots of open space? Without a lot more information nobody can make a suggestion that means squat.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,434,182 times
Need a bit more information. There are several areas that would fit the bill. hobbies weather and other factors should be explained. I'd say Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota would also be nice.

But I like mountains some water and trees. I also love the wide open too...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 PM

20,068 posts, read 14,754,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_3221 View Post
I'm just looking for some ideas of where to move as I cannot stand where I live now. I was thinking northern Michigan and somewhere in east Texas BTW.
Southeast: Northern Georgia
West: Sunny (Meridian or Star) Idaho.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,434,182 times
Coastal Oregon. Granted there is lots of rain but I like the rain. And it is rare to have any hurricanes. Maybe a storm or two.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM

7 posts, read 43,133 times
Sorry about the confusion I worded it wrong, this was originally meant to be a personal opinion question with an explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living