U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM

874 posts, read 1,421,959 times

Advertisements

An acre or two should do it. It depends on how loud your neighbors are though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
We've got at least a mile of dense forest in either direction and we can still hear our neighbor's vehicles and machinery (chainsaw/generator), but normally not conversations or stereos. When you live in the quiet any man-made sound is easily identifiable and "loud". You're better off getting a really well-insulated house with good acoustic windows if you want soundproofing... most times it's easier and cheaper to do that than to find oodles of acreage.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM

5,326 posts, read 5,211,815 times
I've driven a lot across the country, it's extremely unusual to see somebody outside of their homes talking/playing/working etc.., extremely unusual, day or night, work day or Sunday, California or New York. "Unorganized" children play (not involving busing, coaches & uniforms) is extinct for all practical purposes. What's your worries, seriously, in the modern USA 1/4 acres is more than enough not to hear your neighbors and not to know how they look like .

Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,583,389 times
Our strawbale cottage is extremely sound-proof. However, even with our 8 acres up against national forest, when we are outside we can hear neighbors' noises in our valley: chainsaws, generators, voices when the atmosphere is right. Around our area, a lot of folks are outside doing construction, chopping wood, gardening, etc.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM

26 posts, read 45,312 times
Depends which direction the wind is from.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM

584 posts, read 1,803,509 times
I still wish I could figure out how much is enough. Getting really sick of listening to the neighbors that are outside burning leaves every day, blasting the radio.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I still wish I could figure out how much is enough. Getting really sick of listening to the neighbors that are outside burning leaves every day, blasting the radio.
Perhaps you need to focus on that which you can control: You could ask the neighbors nicely to turn the volumn down a bit as they may not know it is disruptive. You can add ponds/fountains to your yard to help cover the noise of your neighbors as well as planting evergreens as a sound baffle.

If you sat your home in the middle of 2000 acres, on a still day you'd still be able to hear a neighbor's radio. Perhaps your expectations are unrealistic? Or, maybe you'd rather complain?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 AM

221 posts, read 1,044,226 times
I strongly sympatize, OP. Other people's noise drives me crazy. And sometimes the option of talking to your neighbors about it just isn't realistic or productive. People who can tune noise out easily just don't understand how much it can pain those of us who are bothered by various types of noises.

Move. I'm serious. If it's something that really bothers you, move. Why put up with something that lowers your quality of life? Move as soon as you can.

I don't think the solution is as much a certain amount of acreage as it is the acoustics of a place. I know nothing at all about acoustics, but my guess is that you'll have best luck in a heavily forested area on high ground (not in a valley) with a river or creek running through to provide "white noise".

I live in a small town but I lucked into buying a house that is all concrete, and it really does block out most irritating noise (with the exception of passing snowmobiles and the neighbor's leaf blower, both of which I hate with a passion.) Maybe that will help you? Not that you want to be stuck inside all the time.

Read this book by Gordon Hempton: One Square Inch of Silence; One man’s search for Natural Silence in a Noisy World. His website is One Square Inch He writes about how there are barely any places left where there is an absense of human created noise. He believes in the importance of the natural sounds of specific ecosystems. Some places left in America are the Canadian border of Eastern Washington, Olympic National Park in Washington, and Canyonlands National Park in Utah.

Best of Good luck to you!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,010,719 times
I think it all depends on the location and the lay of the land. We have 92 acres in rural dairy country. Our closest neighbouring farm is a few miles up the road. We can usually hear his cattle dogs barking, and across the river, probably a good 10 miles away, if the wind is blowing the right direction we can hear his tractor going but only just.

So aside from that, our noise is primarily animal/barnyard: the kookaburras, cockatoo's, galahs and magpies, cattle mooing, sheep bleeting, horse whinnies, chickens clucking, roosters crowing, ducks and geese quacking and honking.......and for me these are the most peaceful sounds; I don't think of it as noise, because it's all natural.

IMO, nothing worse than the sound of a big V8 roaring past, or a motorbike with a ridiculously ineffective muffler, radios blaring all than dang doof-doof bass music, or engines just idling. I couldn't live in the city again. In fact, I forget just how noisy a fridge is until after I've gone camping for a week and then come home...it takes me a couple of days to adjust to the huuuuummmmm.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
It depends on the wind.

We got several hundred acres and yet if the breeze is just right, we can get word by word conversations since we live on a hill the conversations are just carried up the hill. When the wind comes from the south though where there are no houses, its pretty quiet. This is Maine too so there is lots of forest between us and the neighbors (of course they are family (LOL) )

Just a word of caution though. Here in Maine we get a lot of people that do as you want to do, buy some land, plop a house down in the center of it and isolate themselves trying to get rid of big city life. Then after about 8 years, they get tired of the isolation and return to city life again, always stating how Mainer's shunned them. (Nope...you just got what you were looking for and were not happy. But we all want to be victims don't we and hate to take responsibility for our own actions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living