U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM

584 posts, read 1,803,855 times

Advertisements

Maybe I should post in here. I'm wondering how many acres I would need to NOT hear my neighbors' conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

4,036 posts, read 7,682,627 times
We have 8 acres. We can hear neighbors' conversations only if we are outside, they are outside, and they are somewhat loud. We can also hear their chickens, ducks, cattle, and goats. (Goats and donkeys can really make their voices travel.)

I think it also depends on how the hills are, too, and whether you have trees.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,053,755 times
i have one and can hear mine. not word for word, mind you, but hear them nonetheless....

Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times
All depends how loud they get.I have a neighbor two hollers away can hear him all the time hollering at the kids.Told them of it but they don't care.

brushrunner

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Our house is pretty much centered on our land of 42 acres, roughly a 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile square, it is dense forest. On one side we have a neighbor with only a 100' by 100' lot, on the other sides there is nobody. Maybe once a year he may hear us.

Being in the center of this size square of forest, is below the threshold for not hearing neighbors.

About a mile away is a gunsmith with his firing range, we hear him testing rifles, and anytime that I use a firearm he hears it. He usually asks me what it was and tries to ID the firearm from the sound.

On one side of my land is a river, across that river is a railroad track. Say maybe a mile and a half away. We can hear the railroad.

About 2 miles away is a freeway, we occasionally get sounds from it. Trucks mostly.

Last summer there was a party, fairly loud music, it sounded like it was on my land. So I walk my property line. Really loud rock music. I spoke with some neighbors and drove around. Across the river and down stream two miles was the location of the party. So it was like 2 1/2 - 3 miles away, and we heard their music clearly.

Assuming flat land with dense forest, I would go for a section of land to cut down on this. 640 acres, one square mile of land.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM

220 posts, read 390,370 times
When we are at the farm (40 acres) we rarely hear anything from neighbors during the day. Any noise at night is magnified, so we can easily hear the graduation party 3/4 mile away.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM

4,998 posts, read 6,807,171 times
Our nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and we can't hear them at all. We also have a river so mostly that's all we hear. Very soothing.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM

363 posts, read 906,329 times
My twenty acres in Colorado had the Taylor River running down one side, and I couldn't hear a fire truck siren on the road five hundred feet away - let alone a neighbor talking fifty feet away.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,684,398 times
Minimum 2 acres. But it also depends on how its cut, where the house is placed in it and how many trees are on it. My property is surrounded by oaks and other misc brush. And once in a while, real rare, I'll hear voices that flow on the winds (the nearest house to be is 10 acres away). And late at night I can a train. As the bird flies the train tracks are 10 miles away.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

631 posts, read 1,740,938 times
You have already posted this same item in real estate with a lot of responses. I am not sure your looking for quite as much as something else but I could be wrong?

Pick a better topic if your only looking for thread activity..

I already posted in the other but I will add, being as congested as we are as a planet it's is getting harder to find quite. And even with large acreage if the design and layout is not done well you will hear you neighbors.

Even the natural surrounding may be conducive for sound to travel. Just kidding but even if you lived in a cave there would be an echo.

So really check out an area, then neighborhood, then street. Go there on the weekend and sit and listen not just 9 -5 when most are at work.

Learn about topography.

I would rather he the neighbor then the increased local and distant traffic..
Don't forget needless use of truck engine braking. pop pop pop

Or even the sound of the kids car radio at 1am while I am in bed...

There is the alternative

inner space

local park walks

you could probably go snow shoeing, that's what I'm doing this weekend with my wife, I want to hear woodpeckers, crows and grouse. There will be noise in the distance but I will not care.

Then there is music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0907_...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living