U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM

22 posts, read 6,016 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions for a SAFE small town in an area with warm weather year-round - the ideal place wouldn't usually have winter temps below 40-45 degrees. I want to be able to get a decent, clean 1-bedroom apartment for under $450 a month. I'm also open to renting a nice room from a person or family. I'm not partial to a region, other than for the weather preferences I have.

I'm doing this to get my finances in order and save up to buy a certified used car for cash. I'm looking to live in the area for 12-24 months, depending on how long it takes for me to reach the goals I've set for myself.

Work is not an issue as I'm a disabled veteran and receive a decent disability income. Schools are not an issue, because I don't have any children. I also don't have any pets. A local community college would be nice, but not a must-have. Amtrak or Greyhound/Trailways has to stop in the town.

I don't have a car, so the town has to be small enough for me to walk or ride a moped to the grocery store, pharmacy, doctor, and post office. I would need the area to have high-speed Internet access. Access to basic cable would be nice, but not a necessity if the local channels will come in clearly.

I'm 40 years old and single (divorced) female, but I'm a homebody. My idea of big fun is my photography hobby, watching my favorite TV shows (love sci-fi) and making full use of Netflix, LOL. I do attend church and like to be involved in lay ministries. I'm a non-pentecostal "Mainline Protestant". I'm okay with Baptist, Methodist, Churches of Christ/Disciples of Christ, United Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, etc. I'm fine with "charismatic" churches that DON'T practice speaking in tongues or teach prosperity gospel.

If it matters, I'm a black American. I have a diverse social background, and am used to being the only black/minority, or one of a few. I didn't have "hard knock life" in the ghetto, and I don't embody those stereotypes. I really only included this last part because it might matter to the people in the towns that somebody on here might recommend, so I thought it would be a good idea to state that up front.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to start doing some research right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In your position, I'd head for S. Louisiana. The food is good, the people are great and the culture is lots of fun. My ex-was from Kaplan, and as far as I can recall, housing prices were quite affordable. I'd check into Lafayette or possibly Lake Charles.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,287,930 times
Try Southern Texas (like extreme South Texas). I heard you can rent an apartment for under $300 / month there.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 AM

663 posts, read 633,312 times
well...as they say....you can have it all, but not all at the same time...haha....seriously- when you say "small", what population numbers are you thinking?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM

11,751 posts, read 27,321,510 times
Those temps in the winter will mean hot summers. City-Data (the site - not the forum) and other sites have lots of climate info. You are in general describing a band along the Gulf Coast to about 100 miles inland, and most of Florida. However, even Florida can have crop killing freezes and freezing temps all the way down to south Florida. If you speak Spanish, there is always Puerto Rico, but Trailways/Greyhound might have a problem there...

Be aware you will be dealing with hurricanes in most of these places.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Another vote for S. Louisiana, or neighboring parts of Mississippi. For that matter the 9th ward of New Orleans is very cheap, but, as you know by now, it's prone to flooding, so be ready to grab whatever is important to you and get out of there when a flood is incoming.

But that was really always the deal on offer there - cheap prices and warm weather, but, downside is it floods.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Try Southern Texas (like extreme South Texas). I heard you can rent an apartment for under $300 / month there.
Thanks, I'm going to look there. Summers will be scorching, probably, but the less expensive the more I can save and the faster I can move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
well...as they say....you can have it all, but not all at the same time...haha....seriously- when you say "small", what population numbers are you thinking?
I didn't say anything about population numbers. My goal is to save money as fast as possible and then move to where I really want to live. Everything else is extra. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those temps in the winter will mean hot summers. City-Data (the site - not the forum) and other sites have lots of climate info. You are in general describing a band along the Gulf Coast to about 100 miles inland, and most of Florida. However, even Florida can have crop killing freezes and freezing temps all the way down to south Florida. If you speak Spanish, there is always Puerto Rico, but Trailways/Greyhound might have a problem there...

Be aware you will be dealing with hurricanes in most of these places.
Where I'm originally from, we get hurricanes. As long as there's Greyhound/Trailways I can always leave before things get bad. I'm not one to try to ride things out. I may be willing to ride out ONE hellish summer if an area is cheap enough, because as I said above, the cheaper the COL the more I can save, and the faster I can move to where I really want to live. I can't go to Puerto Rico. US territories/possessions don't count. My LTD restricts me to the US or Canada. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Another vote for S. Louisiana, or neighboring parts of Mississippi. For that matter the 9th ward of New Orleans is very cheap, but, as you know by now, it's prone to flooding, so be ready to grab whatever is important to you and get out of there when a flood is incoming.

But that was really always the deal on offer there - cheap prices and warm weather, but, downside is it floods.
New Orleans still hasn't gotten a hold of their crime, yet, from what I've been reading. And, the 9th ward is still a wasteland in a lot of areas, so I've read. It seems to me that it would be a prime place for nefarious types to gather. No thankee, LOL. Some places in Mississippi might work for a short while. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM

I'm a disabled veteran on a fixed income who can no longer work, not that it's any of YOUR business. Next time, why don't you try minding your own and staying out of mine? You didn't even try to answer the question I ASKED. You answered the question you presumptuously thought I should have asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The one thing I notice is the word work does not come into the Ops considertations. It should be at the top since there are mnay regions that can give the oher things. Bt often work that can help get that life straight fiancially are not in thsoe small towns.Lafayette is a pretty big town and not so easy to get around by walking or transit really.Nearby Breaux Bridge is small but agina not so easy to get aroud especially if you work else where.St Matinville is a small town with a walkable life possible but work is likely notthere but close by.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM

10,852 posts, read 15,182,199 times
i don't know of any small rural areas where you will find warm weather, a train/bus, moped rental, and nearby shopping. If you own a moped I can get close, but no warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living