U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM

688 posts, read 1,074,112 times

Advertisements

Rural living, does it depend upon "Stage of Life" (for those who actually have choices in life)?

As a 20-something, cities are fun and exciting and offer good career (and party) opportunities, as well as the beginning of the great line "well, when I lived in DC (NY, SF, CHI, LA etc)...I .....Living in a big city at this time in life also gives one PERSPECTIVE and a certain world-view, which lasts a lifetime.

When children come into the mix, many prefer that the kids (and themselves) have a little more space, "good schools" and freedom to roam a bit. There is a need for birthday parties, sleep-overs, make-a-tent-in-the-backyard-moments. Maybe snakes, toads, dogs, cats, and gerbils, too.

Sometimes when the kids leave what once could NEVER be enough space becomes too much space. Sometimes people want closer contact with stores, museums, music, art. To be together again as a couple and have time for their friends and to travel, free from onerous household duties.

Maybe there comes a time when the fumes and soot and noise begin to wear on the nerves, and there is a great longing for a clean, cool breeze on a summer eve. Maybe walking to stores in inclement weather seems increasingly unpleasant. Perhaps lugging groceries on buses or trains is increasingly annoying.

Mabe there are grandchildren, or friends / siblings with grandchildren, or neices/nehews, who do not live in the city. Perhaps a person feels a need to live nearer to these loved ones.

There is a time for every purpose...and a place, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,367,674 times
I think part of the equation is some people never acclimate to a city the size of Chicago, and some never acclimate to small town or rural living. Part of the equation is cost. If you live 200 miles from a city the size of Chicago the COL is greatly reduced and so is the cost housing. Conversely you may ilve 50 miles from a city that is not another small town just like the only you live in. Part of the equation is realizing your dream. By the time your are 30-years old you realize how hard it is to live on $9.00/hr. and pay your bills. By the time you are 40-years old you think about retirement, grandchildren, long vacations and having the time and money to persue your dreams. The last 25-years of my retirement and money has been spent at hospitals, doctors and pharmacies. My spouse has seven diseases - any one of four can be the last breath. By the time you are 65-years old you think you've seen and heard it all until you heard the 'prognosis' and pray the doctors are wrong. "I'm sorry but your (child, mother, father, husband, mate, pet or ?) is terminally ill. There is nothing more that we can do." Palliative care is never an easy process for the patient or the caregiver.

You are tweinty-something years old. If you a portion of each paycheck into a saving account every week and resist the temptation to buy the new car or house or stocks or ????, when you retire you will have enough moeny to live comfortably for your forseeable future. The odds of social security being an option in 40-years seems doubtful.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 AM

16,783 posts, read 10,697,531 times
that may be part of it but I've never wanted to live in a city, even when I was in my 20s. I think it's mostly personality.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

167 posts, read 272,484 times
^ i agree. the wife and i are planning on selling our house within the next 2 years and moving to the country. our 8 year old son loves the idea. he has been on farms and seems to fall right into place on them.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,235,086 times
What I can't understand is people who "retire" to the country.

We've known several people who decided to move to the country for their retirement years, or at least the early portion of those years. We know a couple who recently bought a huge house (about 5ooo sq ft) on something like 3-4 acres, way out in the middle of nowhere. They seem happy!

Even though they got a great deal, who would want all that to clean, maintain, etc? Even though they're in good health now, what about later, when their health delclines? They never considered things like stairs, accessible bathrooms, etc.

Also one needs to be near services, such as medical, doctors, stores, etc. I can't think of a worse recipie for disaster than being way out in the middle of nowhere, in declining health, can't do the maintenance on that huge house and can't afford to hire it done, can't do the errands any more and can't afford to pay someone to do them..............its situations like this that have landed people in nursing homes!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 PM

16,783 posts, read 10,697,531 times
I understand where you're coming from but you can only look to the future up to a point. Life is now.Don't know if that it explains it very well but sometimes ya just gotta eat dessert first.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,257,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What I can't understand is people who "retire" to the country.

We've known several people who decided to move to the country for their retirement years, or at least the early portion of those years. We know a couple who recently bought a huge house (about 5ooo sq ft) on something like 3-4 acres, way out in the middle of nowhere. They seem happy!

Even though they got a great deal, who would want all that to clean, maintain, etc? Even though they're in good health now, what about later, when their health delclines? They never considered things like stairs, accessible bathrooms, etc.

Also one needs to be near services, such as medical, doctors, stores, etc. I can't think of a worse recipie for disaster than being way out in the middle of nowhere, in declining health, can't do the maintenance on that huge house and can't afford to hire it done, can't do the errands any more and can't afford to pay someone to do them..............its situations like this that have landed people in nursing homes!
I retired from the big city to the country when I was 56. The stress levels here are a tiny fraction of what I felt in the city - I was raised on LI, then 32 years in Oakland.

My house here is much bigger, almost 2800 sq ft, than my prior homes combined. The main floor is where I spend 98% of my time. Upstairs is a very large bedroom with a modest sized deck off it, a full bath and a "family room". If I should someday need live in help there's almost 800 sq ft upstairs quarters for someone.

I have a very good pension and I can afford to hire out many tasks, even ones I am still very capable of doing but choose not to.

In a critical medical emergency there is more than enough room for a medical helicopter to land in my very big back yard or in the pasture beside the house.

A few years back my mechanic made a house call and repaired my Suburban on the day after Thanksgiving, even though his shop was closed. He didn't want me to be stranded for the whole weekend. I told him I had no plans to go anywhere and it could wait until Monday but he insisted. Oh yeah, a couple of weeks later I remembered to drop by his shop and pay him for the work.

A year and a half ago I had various friends who came from all around the county - as much as 40 miles one way - to help me with a dog who needed major wound care every day for months and it could not be done by one person.

I can't speak for anyone else but those are some of the reasons I retired to the country.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

25,873 posts, read 32,430,699 times
I spent my 20s in a town of 12,000 people. I now live close to a town with 70,000 people. And I am out in the country now which is even better.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,716,620 times
I'm 24 years old, and I live in a small town. I tried to live in Minneapolis after I graduated from college, and I hated every minute of it. I don't buy that thing about "life stage" -- I can't do big cities. I'm just a small town guy.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 AM

25,873 posts, read 32,430,699 times
33 years old. I always liked the small town or no towns. I don't mind visiting the bigger towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living