U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM

130 posts, read 307,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
OK - I have asked this maybe once or twice but I figure I ask again

Requirements: 10+ acres of fertile land, rural, near horseback riding and hiking opportunities (near BLM or forest land), climate: four distinct seasons where each is about the same length. Not too much rain, not too much snow, just average. Land has to be affordable (won't pay more than $50K or so for it...). Does this place exist?

OD
Ephrata Real Estate Homes Properties and Lots
Yes it does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM

7,773 posts, read 13,223,327 times
Quote:

Requirements: 10+ acres of fertile land, rural, near horseback riding and hiking opportunities (near BLM or forest land), climate: four distinct seasons where each is about the same length. Not too much rain, not too much snow, just average. Land has to be affordable (won't pay more than $50K or so for it...). Does this place exist?

OD
Check out Kentucky. I'm in western Kentucky, about 10 miles from the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Land Between The Lakes
"There are over 200 miles of hiking and biking trails and approximately 100 miles of horse and wagon trails. Campers can choose from 985 campsites in four developed campgrounds; five lake access areas with primitive camping; and virtually unlimited backcountry camping." (From the website) My step daughter and her husband bought a 3 BR 2 bath house on 14 acres for $140,000. I just went to Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com® and searched for up to $50K near Cadiz. Found 16.3 acres for $49,500. This is in the south part of the county and borders Ft. Campbell Army base.
Pugh Flat Road Cadiz KY - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #59544 - Realtor.com®
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
One of my requirements is "not too much rain". From the looks of your link, this is in WA - don't they drown in rain and mist all year long?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Check out Kentucky. I'm in western Kentucky, about 10 miles from the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Land Between The Lakes
"There are over 200 miles of hiking and biking trails and approximately 100 miles of horse and wagon trails. Campers can choose from 985 campsites in four developed campgrounds; five lake access areas with primitive camping; and virtually unlimited backcountry camping." (From the website) My step daughter and her husband bought a 3 BR 2 bath house on 14 acres for $140,000. I just went to Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com® and searched for up to $50K near Cadiz. Found 16.3 acres for $49,500. This is in the south part of the county and borders Ft. Campbell Army base.
Pugh Flat Road Cadiz KY - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #59544 - Realtor.com®
Good luck!
kygman, thanks - KY is on my list for sure.
OD

Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,861 times
How about Missouri?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM

130 posts, read 307,201 times
Quote:
One of my requirements is "not too much rain". From the looks of your link, this is in WA - don't they drown in rain and mist all year long?

Thanks!
Not in Grant County, 300 days of sunshine per year. Washington is split along the Cascades in regards to weather. The West side or wet side is Seattle and has the reputation for rain and cloudy skies. On the East side or Dry side, it's almost desert like. But we do have fertile fields and irrigation.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM

103 posts, read 356,076 times
Default La Junta, CO....great community to live, work, raise kids, visit...and retire!

Quote:

OD
La Junta, Colorado may be nice fit....you'd have to be the judge. Plenty of acreages that would meet your parameters, and a great place to live, work, visit and retire. Go to La Junta Economic Development
for a list of realtors in the area that may have what you are looking for.

Be glad to share information about La Junta. I try not to get caught up in general forums because many opinions about the smaller, rural communities are so negative and bleak and unfounded.

Some posters claim that Eastern Colorado is barren . Those folks have more than likely, never been here. Our Arkansas River Valley is quite the opposite....the best cropland in Colorado, and some of the best Farmer's Markets for watermelon, cantalope, chiles, vegetables you'll find anywhere.

Some posts claim that it is impossible to garden in Colorado with it's harsh environment. Totally false..... I raise 400 chili plants from seed and have a great garden in the lot across the alley from the house....in town. This area raises chilis that rival Hatch....and how did Rocky Ford/Swink/La Junta become the watermelon, cantalopue capital of the world in such a harsh climate? (One more fallacy...these towns were all established around sugar beets.....how's that for misinformation?)

There are plenty of 10 acre "places" in the area that are reasonable....and with our 300 plus days of sunshine, solar (and wind) are there for the self-sufficient options.

We are a small town of about 8,000 in the Southeastern part of Colorado. We are on historic (3,073 miles long, coast to coast) US Highway 50, have great schools, friendly people and a great place to raise kids. Have been here 40 years, 3 grown daughters, two have come back to live, brought spouses and grandchildren, all but grandchildren (5 yrs and 2 years) have found good jobs!

I retired from the school system after 30 years at the Middle School/Junior High Level....15 as math teacher/coach; 9 as assistant principal and 6 as principal. My wife retired after 30 years in 1st grade!!! (She was the only first grader that drove to school!!) My oldest daughter is a 3rd grade teacher in Swink, (5 miles west of La Junta).

The school systems in the entire Arkansas Valley are quality school systems. We have our issues, but are still great schools.

We have a great Hospital....Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center. Welcome To the Web Home of Arkansas Valley Medical Center

It is licensed as a 90 bed hospital and 100+ bed nursing home. We have quality medical care available here, specialty clinics that come down from Pueblo, Springs and Denver, and a heliport if someone would need to be transported by helicopter. Our airport allows for Lear Jet transport if necessary.

We have a great City Bus System, Amtrak, car rental and airport. Kansas Dept. of Transportation and Colorado Dept. of Trans talking about a bus connecting Wichita to Pueblo with a stop here. AMTRAK looking into bus to connect Southwest Chief (Chicago to LA through La Junta) with the California Zephyr(Chicago to SF through Denver).

\Might look at the following threads:
La Junta, CO -- PHOTO TOUR

Ideas for a Colorado "Staycation"

There are other pictures up on the forum.

Just for an outside opinion, it might be worth checking out what the the oldest paper in Colorado, (Rocky Mountain News..Denver), ran on Friday, Feb 6 about La Junta. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/06/griego-economys-down-but-la-junta-isnt/

Also see http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...8884263523.txt

Plenty of open spaces for horses, etc., and just general enjoying the view and being able to see for 100 miles!

We are not surrounded by mountains, but my wife and I have property in the Sangre de Cristo range (Cuchar) about 1 hour and 40 minutes from our house. Great mountain views, etc....AND we don't have to put up with the winter snows. Great hiking, biking, etc. in some of the most beautiful mountains in Colorado.

Hiking trails, paddling in Canon City and Salida are an hour and a half to two hours away in the same Arkansas River that makes us such a fertile valley.

Plenty of great biking trails (paved, no traffic county roads!), hiking trails in the canyon lands, etc.

For more about parades (Kids Rodeo...Early Settler's Day...and YES...High School Homecoming Parade), small town activities, etc., check out www.lajuntaevents.com and check out this past summer. Also, you might look at www.musicatthejunction.com (Eddie Money was just here this summer).

We have an exciting business here now, and expecting funding soon to begin operations.....www.liqcrytech.com.

We have another major new business on the way....hopefully to be announced in the next 60 days.

Another major business www.bonnieplants.com just opened a facility at our 1500 acre industrial park.

We have a great retirement community called Casa Del Sol. Very atypical retirement community. Their website is at can be viewed at
http://www.casadelsollj.org/

They are located about 2 minutes from our hospital (Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center).

Please feel free to check out www.lajuntaeconomicdevelopment.net and www.VisitLaJunta.net

We are in the Arkansas River Valley...irrigated farm land and great crops.

We have 2 museums in town, Bent's Old Fort Historic Site, dinasaur tracks and historic petroglyphs within 45 minute drive. One of the museums (Koshare Indian Kiva and Museum) is home to a Scout Troop that has more Eagle Scouts than any other troop in US! Plus a multi-million dollar native American Museum.

You can drive to Trinidad, CO (quaint historic coal mining town...1 hour away...pop about 6000) via highway 350 and then take the scenic Highway of Legends (Colorado Highway 12 )through the beautiful southern range of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains....(Cucharas Pass, Cuchara, La Veta).

We don't get as much splash as the touristy areas of Colorado....but we are certainly a much more welcoming area of the State.

Just a thought....would be glad to share more about other areas if you want information from an objective Colorado native.

We are 2.5 hours from Denver....have Bronco tickets...don't miss a tailgate or a game (2.5 hours to Invesco from house). Air Force Football is an easy ticket about 2 hours away.

Plenty of concerts, ballet performances, etc in Pueblo (1 hr), Colorado Springs (2hrs) and Denver (2.5 hrs.), plus our own membership as a community in the Community Concerts organization that brings various lesser known, but very talented groups to town.

Have an awesome junior college system in Colorado and Otero Junior College (www.ojc.edu)
We have a great community theatre and a wide variety of artists in the area.

If I can be of help, please feel free to contact me. Even if if is about another area of Colorado....I am a very objective native of this Great State and not prone to looking at the negative aspects of other communities. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,918,078 times
Country Homes, Farms, Ranches for Sale, Recreational Property & Land - United Country Rural Real Estate and Land for sale, acreage for sale, lots for sale, farms for sale at LandWatch.com are my favorites. Saw 640 acres in Nevada for 99,000. Recently, 138 acres for 35,000 in Navajo County, AZ.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Thanks. The question (though) is not whether I can find large tracts of dirt - I know I can. It is whether I can find affordable land of real usable value (can support a garden for a family for starters) near some forest or government land that I can ride my horses on fairly undistrurbed...

Thanks!
OD

Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,861 times
BLUE BIRD REALTY

horse back riding trails missouri - Bing

Here is some information that may be of interest...also try morealestate.net and use their search engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living