U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 AM

48 posts, read 534,340 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the same small town all my life. The town has several farms and until recently, there was only one elementary school and one middle-senior high school. The only restaurants (fast food) were on the outskirts of town and the only shopping store was a 7-Eleven.

In the past few years, several owners of large farms have sold their property to developers. These developers have put in shopping centers and big stores like Target. They also built several hundred homes on one of the farms (there only used to be one house there).

The core of the town is still somewhat unaffected by this as most of the building that's going on is closer to the outskirts of town.

Several long-time residents have complained. But we're getting a lot of new people moving to the area that want to live in a rural area but also have the convenience of nearby shopping centers. Apparently they don't know the meaning of the word "rural."

I have refused to shop at these stores as I don't support all the building that's going on as I feel they're ruining our nice town and things are only gonna get worse. I feel like if I shop at these stores, I'm saying that it's ok to keep on building. My family thinks I'm crazy because one person isn't gonna make a difference. I tell them that it's the principle of the matter.

So here's the dilema: A new business is opening in one of these shopping centers. I know the owner, I desperately need a job, and have a good chance of getting one at this business. It would be the ideal place for me to work because I have social anxiety disorder and the owner would be willing to make special accomodations for me whereas most other employers would not.

I know I'm being a hypocrite by applying for a job there. But I need that job for so many health reasons. I have no other choice.

Since I will already being working in one of the shopping centers, should I just shop at the other local shopping centers? Or should I still continue to "boycott" all these shopping centers, even though I'd be working in one?

Either way, I'm still a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,527,953 times
These days it seems there aren't many other options, all the smaller good ol boys businesses are being shut down, forced out or bought out by the big guys' competition. Disgusting. When possible though, out here, I will save a gallon of fuel to go the the little family owned places.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 PM

99 posts, read 481,503 times
I buy local, but its because I know everyone in this tiny town. If I buy my lumber from Ty, he'll buy my hay for his horses. If I buy feed from Kevin, he'll buy a couple of my fat steers in the fall. We also do a lot of bartering in town, no dollars involved.

Its about principle. If you are truly against all the new stores, don't let people pressure you to shop there. It is true though, one person does not make a difference. They don't care where you shop. But the mom and pop store down the road probably REALLY cares where you shop.

I would definitely take the job. A job is a job, the money is all the same color. As hard of time as people are having, any job is better than none.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,163,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I have lived in the same small town all my life. The town has several farms and until recently, there was only one elementary school and one middle-senior high school. The only restaurants (fast food) were on the outskirts of town and the only shopping store was a 7-Eleven.

In the past few years, several owners of large farms have sold their property to developers. These developers have put in shopping centers and big stores like Target. They also built several hundred homes on one of the farms (there only used to be one house there).

The core of the town is still somewhat unaffected by this as most of the building that's going on is closer to the outskirts of town.

Several long-time residents have complained. But we're getting a lot of new people moving to the area that want to live in a rural area but also have the convenience of nearby shopping centers. Apparently they don't know the meaning of the word "rural."

I have refused to shop at these stores as I don't support all the building that's going on as I feel they're ruining our nice town and things are only gonna get worse. I feel like if I shop at these stores, I'm saying that it's ok to keep on building. My family thinks I'm crazy because one person isn't gonna make a difference. I tell them that it's the principle of the matter.

So here's the dilema: A new business is opening in one of these shopping centers. I know the owner, I desperately need a job, and have a good chance of getting one at this business. It would be the ideal place for me to work because I have social anxiety disorder and the owner would be willing to make special accomodations for me whereas most other employers would not.

I know I'm being a hypocrite by applying for a job there. But I need that job for so many health reasons. I have no other choice.

Since I will already being working in one of the shopping centers, should I just shop at the other local shopping centers? Or should I still continue to "boycott" all these shopping centers, even though I'd be working in one?

Either way, I'm still a hypocrite.
The time for boycotting has passed, just like slamming on the brakes after you go through the radar trap.
Suck it up and take the job.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM

14,109 posts, read 10,128,056 times
The dilemma with automobile based "shopping centers" is the presumption that we will always be able to afford automobiles and their infrastructure.

Extrapolating on the effect of high fuel prices, reduced fuel consumption, and impact on shipping costs, there will be an economic pressure to consolidate population, increase local production, and thus counter the advantages of a "shopping center". Suburbia will become increasingly expensive, and lose its charm - and economic impetus.

Those with a "long view" might consider ways to ameliorate the situation.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM

25,880 posts, read 32,441,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
I buy local, but its because I know everyone in this tiny town. If I buy my lumber from Ty, he'll buy my hay for his horses. If I buy feed from Kevin, he'll buy a couple of my fat steers in the fall. We also do a lot of bartering in town, no dollars involved.

Its about principle. If you are truly against all the new stores, don't let people pressure you to shop there. It is true though, one person does not make a difference. They don't care where you shop. But the mom and pop store down the road probably REALLY cares where you shop.

I would definitely take the job. A job is a job, the money is all the same color. As hard of time as people are having, any job is better than none.
I agree! Good post.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
I'd take the job, don't think it's hypocritical to work somewhere that will accommodate you... just silly to not take the job just because it happens to be located in a building/center you don't support. Just because you work there doesn't mean you have to shop there.

You also go home everyday... so you can continue to shop at the small local stores without any additional difficulty/expense on your part and help keep them from going out of business to the big box stores.

No hypocrisy from my way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living