U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,766,330 times

Advertisements

Just curious what people's thoughts were. What would you do if the pastor of your church left and went to the other one in town? This is in a town of about 500 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,492 posts, read 41,085,731 times
well...
1) find another pastor?
2) find another church?
3) sell the church, rent the manse / parsonage, & do 'church at home' with the group that desires such.

Actually I was very impressed in examining some small towns that have chosen to "share" the same pastor between 2 churches. One parsonage is rented out to cover the costs / utilities of the one the pastor uses. The pastor has one business card with a different church / job on each side

Early service (8am) in one venue, late (11am) at other (rotate every 5 months so the 'farming seasons' roll between the two churches)

Joint Sunday school is between services at one of the two churches, Joint potlucks on 5th Sundays.
The majority of the folks and pastors really like it. Folks get along better in town and in caring for each other, you can catch an early or a late service, sharing joint resources helps spread the costs and responsibilities, Has been a 'win' for the community. (YMMV) Makes sense to me for many cases of rural needs and benefit. Of course it takes the right pastor, denominational authority, community, and it is a 'growing-process' for all.

The pastor was giving similar messages at each venue, with slight modifications to address theological stance of each denomination.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,766,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
well...
1) find another pastor?
2) find another church?
3) sell the church, rent the manse / parsonage, & do 'church at home' with the group that desires such.

Actually I was very impressed in examining some small towns that have chosen to "share" the same pastor between 2 churches. One parsonage is rented out to cover the costs / utilities of the one the pastor uses. The pastor has one business card with a different church / job on each side

Early service (8am) in one venue, late (11am) at other (rotate every 5 months so the 'farming seasons' roll between the two churches)

Joint Sunday school is between services at one of the two churches, Joint potlucks on 5th Sundays.
The majority of the folks and pastors really like it. Folks get along better in town and in caring for each other, you can catch an early or a late service, sharing joint resources helps spread the costs and responsibilities, Has been a 'win' for the community. (YMMV) Makes sense to me for many cases of rural needs and benefit. Of course it takes the right pastor, denominational authority, community, and it is a 'growing-process' for all.

The pastor was giving similar messages at each venue, with slight modifications to address theological stance of each denomination.
I ask because this might well be happening with a small town that I know some people in. There has been a candidate preaching for their small church, but he's also being interviewed by another, larger church in town. The small church is unwilling to share their pastor, it seems. It could potentially cause some issues.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
In our church we rotate between four different ministers.

If your 'one' left, why not setup a schedule of reach elder/deacon to take one service each month.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,199,971 times
Our churches in the tiny towns here in SW Nebraska have guest preachers, some of them lay preachers, who rotate between the churches. Works out well.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM

739 posts, read 864,229 times
reminds me of the guy who was stranded on a desert island for two years, until finally being rescued by a passing ship. Before leaving he gave a tour of the three huts he had built. This is where I lived...and this is where I went to church. ....he was asked what the third hut was for. ....well that's where I used to go to church!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
It wouldn't happen in my small hometown due to differences in denomination...a Lutheran pastor doesn't just go and sign on with a Methodist church or a Catholic church, etc.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 AM

10,693 posts, read 9,229,785 times
We had this happen in our small town growing up. I remember it was quite the talk of the town for a while. The small church lost their preacher to the larger church when the long standing preacher of the larger church retired. They had to go with lay preachers for a while until they finally found someone willing to come and preach at their small church. I think they still talk about this and it was 20?? years ago.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,590,222 times
My in-laws' church is so small, they don't even have a pastor. The members used to take turns conducting the service and preaching the sermon. My father-in-law used to preach once a month. We visited once, and I think there were about 25 people present at the service, total, including us.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
I see no issue in following him/her to warship in another church. If you like them that much and it isn't that far, so be it.

You could also give the replacement a chance... never know, you may like them more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living