U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,615,243 times

Advertisements

Different doesn't begin to describe small town living and I've been at it awhile now. I came from a smallish area but where I am now is oh so small, I've tried to shake off the New York, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, longbeach area for 20 years and I still find myself distrustful and that sucks. I still lock my car and house, quiver if someone I don't know waves when I drive by and in general second guess my thoughts.
The truth is these people may find me odd but they have a general interest and are kind in a way I'm not used to. Its nice. I hope I too can chill to the point they do some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM

961 posts, read 1,895,668 times
My family and I moved from the Dallas Ft. Woth Metroplex to a town of 647 residents in 2000.

While we do the same as you and leave the car doors locked we also lock the house doors while at home. Some habits die hard.
As for waving at passing pick ups and cars I picked up on that right Away.

I admit after almost eleven years here from time to time I wish there was a local store to run to however, we have to plan our trips to the store in the next town 18 miles away. Not a far drive just inconvenient in the evenings.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM

972 posts, read 1,481,269 times
I guess we're funny. We lock car and house doors without even thinking. Guess I thought that was just common for everyone. Even if I lived in the country (as I did growing up) would still lock doors. Different strokes, I guess!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,010,446 times
Never think because you live in a small town that you are safe. My nearest neighbor is nearly a mile from me and the town of 1200 people is 4 miles away. This past month while I was away for a week, I returned home to find my front door kicked in and handguns and other things stolen. I now have security systems installed around my very rural property.

One should always keep in mind that the same solitude that draws honest people to rural America can also draw human detritus and riftraft. I've lived in several larger American cities but I've never believed one can totally escape from the sick products of modern American society. I lock my doors and did before the burglary.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 05-04-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM

7,773 posts, read 13,223,327 times
I never lock my car. I drive a '97 Geo Tracker with approx. 400,000 miles on it. I figure if I leave it unlocked, somebody might feel sorry for me and throw something in. lol But my wife and I don't lock our car either around here. We go to the mall or someplace else we'll lock it. Our house is unlocked while we're gone most of the time. Been doing that for years and never had anything happen. And we live in a town of 2500.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,588,841 times
We've lived in rural PA for 15 years now, and for a while I only locked my doors at night. If I were out back in the gardens, I'd leave them open. Then there was a rash of burglaries locally three years ago, so I lock up if I'm not in view of my house. DH says, don't let go of your "street smarts".

Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,427,206 times
I always lock every single car and home door 100% of the time, no matter where I am...rural or urban. In fact, I even lock my bedroom door shut every single night when I go to bed. It's one extra obstacle for an intruder to have to break through.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 PM

8,831 posts, read 8,710,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Never think because you live in a small town that you are safe. My nearest neighbor is nearly a mile from me and the town of 1200 people is 4 miles away. This past month while I was away for a week, I returned home to find my front door kicked in and handguns and other things stolen. I now have security systems installed around my very rural property.

One should always keep in mind that the same solitude that draws honest people to rural America can also draw human detritus and riftraft. I've lived in several larger American cities but I've never believed one can totally escape from the sick products of modern American society. I lock my doors and did before the burglary.
happening across the country...

Burglary and Home Invasions Increase in Suburbs and Rural Areas; Security Expert's “Common Sense” Advice Hits Home; EZ Armor Emerges a - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20110509/bs_prweb/prweb8395916 - broken link)

Home Security Has Gone Country – Rural Residents Are No Longer Safer Than Those in Urban Areas | BestPagePublisherBlog.info

Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I always lock every single car and home door 100% of the time, no matter where I am...rural or urban. In fact, I even lock my bedroom door shut every single night when I go to bed. It's one extra obstacle for an intruder to have to break through.
Hear, hear. I do that too and have my 9 mm next to me on the night stand too.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Where I'm at in Oklahoma, if my dogs riding with me, I have no problem leaving the keys in the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living