U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Purchasing a house next door to cows would be a positive for me. I miss living next door to cows; miss the smell, the free fertilizer and have always been intrigued by their different personalities. And no matter how old I get, when I see a herd of cattle who (in unison) all turn their heads to stare with the same expression, it still cracks me up. I used to photograph cows just for their expression and those soulful eyes. Hope some day to either have a few or be neighbors with them again!
One of my neighbors is a cow,.. OH, sorry, that a different subject..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM

8,836 posts, read 8,712,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, see, if someone disagrees with your statement about the attitudes people who raise cattle and live and work with them on a daily basis, and do it from a basis of personal experience with such, you decide that that means you're being told you don't know anything about cows.

Could be a lack of basic understanding of people, not cows, at work here.
Maybe that's why I like liveing in the country? I like animals better than most people anyhow....

Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Move to Oklahoma where we allow cattle farms inside the city limits.

Or go see if Wal-Mart sells air freheners with a Barn Yard aroma.
You know, if they came out with an air freshener that actually smelled like horses, I'll bet it would sell like hotcakes!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You know, if they came out with an air freshener that actually smelled like horses, I'll bet it would sell like hotcakes!
I guess that's why, being married to a horses a$$ can improve some marriages.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,772,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I've wondered this my whole life. Even if you're just driving by they always stare. (I love cows.)
Have you ever stepped back and people watched? You'd stare too if it were socially acceptable. We are an odd species!

Cows stare because they are prey animals. They have to assess everything/everyone to determine if it is a predator. Dr. Temple Grandin has some interesting writings on the subject if you care to look into her books and articles.

http://store.fhautism.com/p-568-anim...r-animals.aspx

Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,640,738 times
Quote:
Or one that smelled like fresh cut hay.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Or one that smelled like fresh cut hay.
Now, I would buy that in bulk.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,302,810 times
All these post are great but some of you have to understand raising cattle and raising a garden are two completely different things.

People who raise cattle need to de-worm them to keep them safe. People who raise crops need worms to help breakdown everything in the ground.

If you use cattle fertilizer in your garden you need to make sure that the cattle wasn't de-wormed because if the were the fertilizer will kill all of your worms that you depend on to grow your crops.

Even if you compost it, it won't get rid of the medicine they used and you will still find yourself with dead worms.

busta

Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 PM

16,791 posts, read 10,706,686 times
but those are totally different type of worms. Does the parasite killer med affect earthworms?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM

25,880 posts, read 32,441,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Nope guess not, Other than some pratical experiance milking 35 hd twice a day untill I was 18 I don't know jack about cows.......Guess I'll go leave the gate open because I theres no way I know enough these calves to market
Milk cows and beef cows are handled different. Dairy cattle which are handled twice a day are used to the routine... They learn their behavior.

Beef cattle which are out to pasture and not always handled twice a day are going to act in a differently their their milked out cousins. Beef cattle are going be used to horses or 4 wheelers pushing them into a different pasture. They will hear the sound of the tractor and come on the run because it is dinner time.

Same animals but will act differently. Some beef cows will allow you to get close enough to them to pet them... Others will clean your clock. Dairy cows wont always be woofy, and have been handled and had tons more human interaction from the time they are calved until marketed or put into production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living