Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,023 times

Advertisements

I'm a retiree in my late 50's looking for a small town or rural area, probably in the Pacific Northwest or West Coast area, with the following:

1. MILD seasons;summer and winter included.

2. Preferably with a larger number of older neighbors.

3. Picturesque scenery and greenery with some open space and
clean, quaint communities.

4. Water nearby (ocean, river, creeks or lake).

5. Safe, safe, safe! Responsible law enforcement and few
obnoxious miscreants for them to keep in line.

6. A QUIET uncrowded acre of my own with a small, comfortable home
(up to 1600 sq. ft.) in the neighborhood of $350,000 or less.

7. Not due to be overrun by development; sound local planning and
government would be nice.

8. Good-hearted neighbors who keep an eye out for each other but
aren't too intrusive.

9. Within an hour's drive of city amenities; i.e. good medical services,
supermarkets, hardware store, good restaurants, a bookstore.

10. High speed internet is most desireable.

I know---I'm not asking for much. If you know of a place that meets the above, I'd love to hear about it. Just whisper it quietly so we don't get caught in the stampede of folks wanting to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM

438 posts, read 1,508,956 times
This may be out of your price range, but you should look into the San Juan Islands in Washington. Friday Harbor is a small town on San Juan island. I've visited there and its absolutely beautiful. Seems like a neat community. I believe there is a large number of retirees located there. Seattle is probably more than an hour away, but the ferry takes you across the Sound to Anacortes I think. The weather there tends to be a little more rainy, but very mild. Rarely get below freezing and above ninety. If you don't want to live on an island, check out Poulsbo, WA. Neat little Norwegian-type town. Don't know much about the retiree population, but is really is a cool town.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:03 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
Gee, mollyblythe , it is really funny , but these are my wishes for a retirement place, too ( retiring in June ). And, thank you momlady for your suggestions.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-08-2008, 07:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
I do not recommend the San Juan Islands unless you enjoy living your life by ferry schedules (and coping with summer tourists). You are totally dependent on the ferries to get to the mainland for major shopping and major medical. In that general area, take a look at Port Townsend. (In the rain shadow of the Olympics. Such as the rain shadow is.)

For mild seasons, you'll be on the west side of the Cascades. Ashland, in southern Oregon, has a fair population of retired people, and there are several rivers and lakes in the area, plus you can choose to live "city" or rural. Portland has an extensive set of suburbs, some of which are rural-ish. McMinville is in wine country, as is Dundee. Canby or Mount Angel might suit as well.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Eugene and Salem areas, someone else'll have to answer that. You might have more luck in the Oregon and Washington general threads here on City-Data.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Look into Humboldt county California where a new home can still be bought for under $300,000. The largest town is Eureka at 28,000, then Arcata at close to 17,000, then McKinleyville at 13,000 with the 2000 census and Fortuna at 8,000 I think. Eureka has a hospital, so do Arcata and Fortuna. In McKinleyville one may still find a home in the $400,000 range with an ocean view and within waling distance of the beach. McK has a big K, 2 large grocery stores, a large Ace hardware and a nine plex theater. Eureka has a smaller big K, many grocery stores, a number of hardware and lumber yards, a Target and shopping mall. Arcata has a state university and Fortuna has a local college. We are about the same travel time from Portland and San Francisco. Dairy is still a large feature of the counties economy as is many agriculture busines's. In McKinleyville, the atmosphere is warm and welcoming, even though it is the fastest growing town in the county. Every one seems to know each other and I like it that way.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 PM

64 posts, read 205,456 times
Brookings, Oregon

It is a coastal town, in an area known as the "banana belt" because of the warm weather it enjoys for as far north as it is.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
I love Brooking's Oregon, it is only a short distance from Crescent City and has beautiful ocean views. The price of gas there is as much as 40 cents lower than just over the border in California. And they do not let you pump your own gas. Major shopping can be had in Crescent City.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,148 times
Have you considered Alaska? We're real neighborly.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
In McKinleyville one may still find a home in the $400,000 range with an ocean view and within waling distance of the beach.
Brooking's Oregon

All of these places sound heavenly. I had never heard of most of them. Thanks for your help.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Gee, mollyblythe , it is really funny , but these are my wishes for a retirement place, too ( retiring in June ). And, thank you momlady for your suggestions.
Great minds think alike! Congratulations on your impending retirement. It'll be here before you know it. Such an exciting time filled with opportunity. Hope you find someplace comfortable, peaceful and fun to settle. Maybe we'll be not too distant neighbors!

If you find any good places, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living