U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 AM

958 posts, read 1,252,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Unfortunately in Florida you are never more than 100 miles from a city. As for getting old I would rather die than be put in a nursing home in a city.
If living 100 miles from the nearest city is not far enough and still way to close for you, maybe you should move to the Amazon rainforest or the Australian outback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,543,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

How far from a major city is too far for you? Even those who escape to get away from it all occasionally need to go to the city for some reason.
Not far enough....

The ONLY reason I could see for visiting a city is the airport and I can put up with a long drive for that.

My dream property would be where it takes an hour just to get to the property line...

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,378,163 times
Sounds like some of you people would be best off in the Amazon rainforest or something. Lol no offense, but I am partially serious... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
The nearest larger city is over 5hrs drive from me and that's much to close.
5 hours is too close? If you never go to the city, how would you be able to tell the difference if you were 2 hours or 5 hours or 50 hours or 500 billion hours away? Theres nothing wrong with your opinion, i'm not hating or anything, but Im just asking, "if you never go to the city, then how does 5 hours or 500 hours make a difference?"

Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Sounds like some of you people would be best off in the Amazon rainforest or something. Lol no offense, but I am partially serious... lol

5 hours is too close? If you never go to the city, how would you be able to tell the difference if you were 2 hours or 5 hours or 50 hours or 500 billion hours away? Theres nothing wrong with your opinion, i'm not hating or anything, but Im just asking, "if you never go to the city, then how does 5 hours or 500 hours make a difference?"
Perhaps because sometimes the people in the city go to where that person is?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM

29,581 posts, read 64,130,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The ONLY reason I could see for visiting a city is the airport and I can put up with a long drive for that.
Then how about a few other reasons to consider a visit:
museums
theaters
concert venues
restaurants
libraries
specialty stores of whatever sort that might interest
professional services

and hospitals too (but that isn't usually a planned visit)

Personally... I wouldn't want to be more than 100 miles from these.

hth

Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then how about a few other reasons to consider a visit:
museums
theaters
concert venues
restaurants
libraries
specialty stores of whatever sort that might interest
professional services

and hospitals too (but that isn't usually a planned visit)

Personally... I wouldn't want to be more than 100 miles from these.

hth
LOL...yes because none of those exist in the country...

Museums...well lets be realistic here,when was the last time you went to a museum?

Theaters?If you mean live then you have a point,movie there is one in almost every town.

How often do you go to concerts?
Every week?
Every month?
Once or twice a year?

Restaurants?Having been in the business for over 15 years,most are WAY overrated...and you can make a better meal at home.

Libraries?
Almost every town has one.

Specialty stores?
You mean like a butcher that actually processes from scratch?
Like we have here in this little town.

Professional services?
The number of times you might require someone is so rare it is a bit silly to base your life around it.

Hospitals?
Our little town has one of the best community hospitals in the nation.

Now...here are a few things we have here where we now live.

No lights visible at night...period.And we live on a hill.

No traffic noise almost all the time.

No traffic to speak of.

Can buy directly from the producer of certain products...like a local sawmill,cutting out the middle man.

No restrictions,no zoning,no people...

Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL...yes because none of those exist in the country...
It's a YMMV thing, and depends on the person. Usually what happens on this forum I've seen is whenever someone lists things that big cities tend to offer or why THEY like it, they tend to respond saying they pretty much dont care or none of that stuff interests them. I even saw it over a year ago on this forum, someone asked why do people like big cities, and people gave reasons, and the OP of that thread got really snarky and said "I can do that stuff here, or i'm not interested in any of that, etc." Just an observation... lol

MrRational stated he wouldn't want to be more then 100 miles from those things, THATS HIS preference. Not everyone wants to be over 5 hours from the largest big cities and some people who LOVE small towns still want to be close to bigger cities and easy access to big city amenities. Not everyone who lives in small towns wants to avoid the city 110%. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that, but not everyone is like that.

For many people, they do a lot of those type of things and it's worth living in a big city. And it also depends on the rural area and also many times, things like Museums in smaller towns aren't anywhere as big or cool as ones in bigger cities. And I have lots of relatives and friends who live in bigger cities, who are always going to museums, the zoo, etc. They usually buy a membership there which allows them to go as many times as they like in a certain period.

Theres the hospital thing, I don't know how big the hospital is where you live or anything, but yeah too some people that is a valid concern. And a my grandmother who lives in Southwest Minnesota even though the hospital is fantastic and has been expanded, they still run out of rooms a lot and have to ship people to bigger hospitals. Happened to my grandparents more then once. And the chance of a hospital in a small town having everything of a hospital in a bigger town is like slim to none. And of course for some people are young and healthy, not everyone is a spring chicken and some people have a lot of health issues, etc.

I myself just love big cities, complete opposite of my parents, who grew up on farms in the country. My mom lived on a farm in Southwest MN, closest "big" place was Marshall, which had around 10k people in the 70s, and after that, the next closest places were Sioux Falls and Mankato, MN. Both around 2 hours, and Mankato is only around 30-40k people.

Im moving to a first ring suburb of Minneapolis (Richfield) sometime this month or next month. And I grew up in a town of around 2000 people and lived there for 16 years, and while I loved it as a kid, I wouldn't want to live there now. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-02-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 04:48 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
Hee, I went to college in southern MN, and Mankato was our nearest "bigger" town.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 PM

930 posts, read 1,665,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, there is a sign 80 miles due East of me on the 2-lane highway that says, "Welcome to the Middle of Nowhere!" - so I guess we live on the western edge of Nowhere!

Seriously, North-Central Nebraska, in a 100-year-old 3000 sq ft farmhouse, on 60 acres of rolling hills with sweet tumbling water, surrounded by Angus cattle ranches worked by real cowboys and cowgirls on horseback, where the only sounds at night are the wind, the hoots of the owls and the baying of the coyotes.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
You just described heaven to me.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hee, I went to college in southern MN, and Mankato was our nearest "bigger" town.
Rochester and Minneaplis/St. Paul are only around 1.5-2 hours from Mankato. I can't stand Southwest Minnesota though, way too rural and secluded. I need a bigger town then Mankato or Sioux Falls, both are way too small, and where my grandmother lives, driving 2 hours to get to Sioux Falls or Mankato is ridiculous, especially with gas prices as high as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or