U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times

Advertisements

I don't believe there is such a thing as "too far away"... unless, maybe, you're off-planet. Although, I'd probably be one of the first to sign up for the Lunar or Mars colonies. But, seriously, as long as I'm within an hour of a post office where I can get mail order deliveries, and can get a good satellite alignment for Internet, I'm good

I'm currently living 3+ hours from the nearest city. There are a couple of villages with less than 200 people and virtually no services between here and there. It's D-I-V-I-N-E! Being this far out does require a good bit of planning since you can't just pop over to the grocery/hardware store whenever you need something on a whim. Shopping excursions are at least full-day endeavor, or you have to wait 1-4 weeks for mail orders. Health care is also an issue, we only have a tiny native clinic within 30 minutes... we have MedEvac insurance in case we have to call in the helicopters or planes to get us to the bigger hospital quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,702,360 times
Currently looking for land...30-60 minutes to the nearest gas station... Nother half an hour to a population between 20 and 30K.

Nother hour + to a 'Large enough' city (Real city)

I'll be traveling for work, so I'll get 'enough city'

I don't plan on seeing people often between contracts.

Best of both worlds.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
One way of ensuring the distances you want from others,is to own the land in between.

If it takes you 30 minutes to get to your property line that sure helps with the isolation.

Australia has such properties.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM

14,800 posts, read 18,045,406 times
Up here in Northern Minnesota im a 1 hour 30 minute drive from St. Cloud, 2 hours and 30 minutes from Minneapolis and Duluth, 3 hours from Fargo, ND, and 6 hours from Winnipeg, MB.

I live in a pretty little town but i feel too close to some big cities. Our town gets flooded by tourist from Fargo and Minneapolis.

I'm happy where i'm at but were kind of surrounded by big cities Duluth way to the East Fargo way to the west and Minneapolis to the South. If i could move the whole family id go to the Lake of the Woods region where only on big city is close (Winnipeg)

Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,377,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Up here in Northern Minnesota im a 1 hour 30 minute drive from St. Cloud, 2 hours and 30 minutes from Minneapolis and Duluth, 3 hours from Fargo, ND, and 6 hours from Winnipeg, MB.

I live in a pretty little town but i feel too close to some big cities. Our town gets flooded by tourist from Fargo and Minneapolis.

I'm happy where i'm at but were kind of surrounded by big cities Duluth way to the East Fargo way to the west and Minneapolis to the South. If i could move the whole family id go to the Lake of the Woods region where only on big city is close (Winnipeg)
Do you by any chance live near Brainerd or Bemidji? I live in St. Cloud right now but will be moving to a Minneapolis Suburb, hopefully at the end of this month or during october.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Currently looking for land...30-60 minutes to the nearest gas station... Nother half an hour to a population between 20 and 30K.

Nother hour + to a 'Large enough' city (Real city)

I'll be traveling for work, so I'll get 'enough city'

I don't plan on seeing people often between contracts.

Best of both worlds.
No clue, are you looking in North Carolina or are you moving somewhere?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
No clue, are you looking in North Carolina or are you moving somewhere?

No clue about what?

Who said N.C.?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No clue about what?

Who said N.C.?
Sorry, I saw the person who posted below you has their location set to North Cackelacky, and accidentally mistaked that person for you.

Are you looking anywhere in the country? How do you know you'll be traveling for work?

30 minutes north of Staples, MN partially fits your description, About a half hour to Staples which is a town of around 3k people. About a half hour to Little Falls, MN population 9k about, and about another half hour to St. Cloud, population 60k roughly. Little falls is smaller then the 20-30k you said, and St. Cloud may be too small for a city city type city, but it's a friendly suggestion Just a suggestion.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Sorry, I saw the person who posted below you has their location set to North Cackelacky, and accidentally mistaked that person for you.

Are you looking anywhere in the country? How do you know you'll be traveling for work?

30 minutes north of Staples, MN partially fits your description, About a half hour to Staples which is a town of around 3k people. About a half hour to Little Falls, MN population 9k about, and about another half hour to St. Cloud, population 60k roughly. Little falls is smaller then the 20-30k you said, and St. Cloud may be too small for a city city type city, but it's a friendly suggestion Just a suggestion.
I've been over most of the country, lived coast to coast.

I have a couple hundred mile area I'm looking in.

(And it ain't up there in 'Yankee land' Too COLD!!!!)

As to the traveling... I know what I want to do, Getting my Masters now... Want to work for myself.

Market's wide open.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,040 times
The only time it's too far away is when I'm on another planet. Even then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or