U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

737 posts, read 2,284,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
encorage good snakes into your area by letting some grass at the back of your property get a little longer, add a little wood or rock pile back there ect...

snakes are natures rodent control.

personally i have a good female mouser (soon to hopefully be 2 good female mousers lol) but cats bring a whole other set of problems with them being they are indiscriminate killers and not only kill rats and mice but also song birds ect...
We don't have snakes of any type (or rabies for that matter) on the island. But a good alternative to a cat, definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM

29,580 posts, read 64,109,969 times
Nothing beats a black snake.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM

4,123 posts, read 5,437,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
We have found a small field mouse inside (we have poison boxes that are pet proof outside, we have 4 dogs). I'm thinking they are like roaches... if you see one, you know there are more, but I'm not sure. Just got the traditional traps and one electronic mouse/rat trap. All are loaded with peanut butter. So far, no takers. It has been a week.

I can deal with the rats, bats and mongooses that sometimes invite themselves. Dogs take care of rats and mongooses and pool sweeper gets the bats out, but a mouse pooping on my kitchen counter makes me sick.

The counter is free of debris except for 4 droppings I found today. Dogs are probably keeping the critter from moving from the counter, not sure.

Suggestions? Thanks. I haven't cooked or baked for a week.
You kind of need to study their feeding habits. If you know where they are "running" then you want to hurd them with physical obsticals into a trap. It would also be helpful to know where they are gaining access - always a good place for a trap. Keep in mind that you want to force them to move towards the trap(s).

Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Spring traps, and sealing anything edible in airtight, chew-proof containers.

I grew up on a farm surrounded by thousands of acres of corn field, and when the corn was harvested, the field mice turned to local farmhouses in search of new food and shelter. So the fall was always when you needed to set traps. But the truth is, if mice have nothing to feed on, they won't stay.
Same here. Hated to deal with corn harvesting or the burning of hay fields. For your own sake, make sure to seal up all your food, put out all garbage every night and dry out sinks/tubs to keep them from a water source. They always seem to gravitate towards hot water heaters...and then die in between the walls. That is a good place to bait them in with traps with peanut butter. Just keep the dogs out of the area.

You'll catch them. It's only a pain for a short time....but I will admit of all things....they are what I'm actually afraid of. HATE those mice.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,756 times
Mice supposedly hate the smell of mint. I would put some strong smelling mint gum in places were you've seen mice. You can plant it outside, but it can be invasive to other plants.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Mice supposedly hate the smell of mint. I would put some strong smelling mint gum in places were you've seen mice. You can plant it outside, but it can be invasive to other plants.
We have a small garden, sage, rosemary, basil and onions. The onions are for the deer to stay away.However, I will definitely put the mint gum (if I can find it) on the first level of our home. So far, no sign of mouse activity on the 2nd floor (no risers on the steps). Still, until we get rid of it, my DH will cook but I cannot bring myself to do that.I spread a small amount of cheese crumbs to the entry way of the electronic trap this a.m. Hopefully, the green light will flash tomorrow! Yuck. I mean, I love animals but this is not acceptable. I just hope it is a male and not pregnant female.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,267,407 times
no snakes at all...

being on an island i would definatly avoid the cat option, im sure there are plenty of stray and pet cats on the island but i just worry alot about such delicate ecosystems, a cats impact is even greater on a smaller island...

in your case then id try to encorage frequent visits by local hawk populations, the kestrel particularly is a great and avoid mouse and rat hunter, and due to habitat loss its numbers are in decline, they will readily accept man made nest boxes and prefer wide open feilds and such (there swoopers)
merlins and peregrins aparently also often frequent the island and are also great mousers!
i would 100% aboslutly encorgage these predetory birds to your peroperty whenever possible...
(just be sure if putting in a kestrel nest box its not in direct line of the house, they tend to be quite territorial and kind of agressive during breeding/rearing season and will dive at people passing too close by their nest lol)

im told st croix does have a healthy imported mongoose population (probbaly what killed any native snakes) they will also hunt and eat mice and rats when given the oportunity...

if all else fails you might encorage any local strays to hang around but not get too comfy by providing a sheltered place to sleep and a LITTLE food to encorage them to hang around to hunt, feral cats will be naturally warey of the dogs and keep their distance usually (provide a few easily acessable high up perches for them to escape to if cornered by the dogs)

cats would be my last choice though for natural control, instead id be more apt to encorage the Kestrels to nest around your property...a pair will have your land mouse free year round, especially a breeding pair.

also discourage them from entering the home by keeping food (pet food included) selaed and off the ground when not in use (jars ect) and all fabiric/cotton pads, ect (anything soft or that can be shredded to make soft comfy nesting material) shoudl also be kept in tightly sealed tubs/bins ect...

mice HATE peppermint, cayenne and cloves...

some good ideas, put peppermint in planters/pots by your doors and in window boxes (in ground it will take off and become a pest, but if the roots are kept contained and it cant send runners out into the garden...

take cotton balls with a couple of drops of clove oil and put them in places the mice frequent

or make mice sachets, take cheesecloth and mix dried peppermint leaves (chopped roughly) cayenne pepper poweder and whole or rough ground cloves into the cheesecloth, tie at the top and put them in places mice frequent, along the walls in the attic, under the bed and couch, in upper and lower cabinates, shed ect.

refresh them once a month by giving them a squeeze.

mice also hate the smell of bounce dryer sheets...
these make great stuffings for little cracks and crevises around the house where mice might enter or leave.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
no snakes at all...

being on an island i would definatly avoid the cat option, im sure there are plenty of stray and pet cats on the island but i just worry alot about such delicate ecosystems, a cats impact is even greater on a smaller island...

in your case then id try to encorage frequent visits by local hawk populations, the kestrel particularly is a great and avoid mouse and rat hunter, and due to habitat loss its numbers are in decline, they will readily accept man made nest boxes and prefer wide open feilds and such (there swoopers)
merlins and peregrins aparently also often frequent the island and are also great mousers!
i would 100% aboslutly encorgage these predetory birds to your peroperty whenever possible...
(just be sure if putting in a kestrel nest box its not in direct line of the house, they tend to be quite territorial and kind of agressive during breeding/rearing season and will dive at people passing too close by their nest lol)

im told st croix does have a healthy imported mongoose population (probbaly what killed any native snakes) they will also hunt and eat mice and rats when given the oportunity...

if all else fails you might encorage any local strays to hang around but not get too comfy by providing a sheltered place to sleep and a LITTLE food to encorage them to hang around to hunt, feral cats will be naturally warey of the dogs and keep their distance usually (provide a few easily acessable high up perches for them to escape to if cornered by the dogs)

cats would be my last choice though for natural control, instead id be more apt to encorage the Kestrels to nest around your property...a pair will have your land mouse free year round, especially a breeding pair.

also discourage them from entering the home by keeping food (pet food included) selaed and off the ground when not in use (jars ect) and all fabiric/cotton pads, ect (anything soft or that can be shredded to make soft comfy nesting material) shoudl also be kept in tightly sealed tubs/bins ect...

mice HATE peppermint, cayenne and cloves...

some good ideas, put peppermint in planters/pots by your doors and in window boxes (in ground it will take off and become a pest, but if the roots are kept contained and it cant send runners out into the garden...

take cotton balls with a couple of drops of clove oil and put them in places the mice frequent

or make mice sachets, take cheesecloth and mix dried peppermint leaves (chopped roughly) cayenne pepper poweder and whole or rough ground cloves into the cheesecloth, tie at the top and put them in places mice frequent, along the walls in the attic, under the bed and couch, in upper and lower cabinates, shed ect.

refresh them once a month by giving them a squeeze.

mice also hate the smell of bounce dryer sheets...
these make great stuffings for little cracks and crevises around the house where mice might enter or leave.

Thanks very much: will definitely plant the peppermint, love those other ideas about the sachets and I've got a huge jar of cayenne that is ready to expire so that will be done today. Dryer sheets won't work as the 3 of the 4 dogs are teenagers/puppies.Can't use the idea for attracting birds, unfortunately. It does make sense but we have a 10K wind turbine which has already taken out a few bats and birds.Yes, the eco system is very important and you are absolutely correct about all of the unwanted bush dogs and feral cats. I do a lot of trapping and most don't make it but have had some successes. It is sad, but there are many folks that move here, have a dog or two and then beach them when they move state-side. Haven't seen any mouse droppings today, at least not in the usual places... so maybe s/he escaped??? Hoping. Sadly, when the Danish brought in the mongooses, they thought it would cure the rat problem. Guess they didn't know that one is nocturnal and the other is not, so the twain rarely meet.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 05-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: to add...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM

14,140 posts, read 19,297,535 times
okay if you are going with traps use gummy bears as bait because rats and mice really like sweet things and cheese also works but I have never seen anything bait them like gummy bears . Im serious it works like a charm. My grandma's house was loaded with mice until my brother and I went to the hardware store and got the traps and the gummy bears . after about 5 night no more mice and she put all her food up in chew proof containers , although I have seen rats chew through steel wool . so im not sure what a chew proof container is , lol . But put all your grains and dry food and beans and etc away and then wallah set the traps and let them do their work .I bet you we cleaned out 500 mice easy and maybe 100 rats . she lived close to a guy who used to leave cat food out and he moved so they moved onto granny's house and she was infested . But we got rid of em . thanks be to god !!!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,951,284 times
Quote:
encorage good snakes into your area by letting some grass at the back of your property get a little longer, add a little wood or rock pile back there ect...

snakes are natures rodent control.

personally i have a good female mouser (soon to hopefully be 2 good female mousers lol) but cats bring a whole other set of problems with them being they are indiscriminate killers and not only kill rats and mice but also song birds ect...
Indeed! Couldn't agree more. My son drags in Bull and Racer snakes, letting them go under our house and setting them down the gopher holes regular like, and it works. Kinda like..."see ya in a month r two pard, when your six inches longer."We are surrounded by wild desert and fields, and we rarely have mice. Oh, I have a scroungy old barn cat as well and my son keeps a house cat who slay the occasional rodentia, however, just the smell of a snake will keep mice and other vermin fightin' shy of your abode. You can't smell it, but the critters on the buffet menu most certainly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or