U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times

Advertisements

When I lived in a farmhouse in the middle of hundreds of acres of corn, cotton and sorghum I was routinely overrun by mice. I thought I was being meticulous with my food; but after closer investigation it turns out the little buggers were raiding my toaster for crumbs and then traveling across my back splash to get inside my stove stop looking for spills and crumbs that slipped under the burners. It's nearly impossible to get every single crumb out of a toaster, and wasn't very easy to keep lifting the stove top to scrub it out after meal, so I tried traps along the counter and backsplash with peanut butter, cheese, beef jerky and even candy... no luck. They eventually got in the cupboards and chewed through the plastic airtight canisters, so I got glass and metal canisters ($$$)... and they moved to the trash can. I finally got a fumigator to come in and gas the house, then got some cats. I know cats are out for your household, but if you continue to have mouse problems then you might need to call a fumigator.

BTW - our buckeye chicken is a mouse and shrew's nightmare, probably takes down as many as our cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM

12,770 posts, read 10,016,774 times
This has been a dilemma for me for years. We live in a small town, surrounded by fields. I have 3 dogs that are fair mousers, but not cat friendly. I have tried everything, that is humane - I found poison was too slow and cruel. The spring traps didn't always kill instantly. The humane traps work for a little while, but they are smart little critters.
I ended up giving up the battle. We know they are there, so I just clean more thoroughly, don't leave out any food, clear the sink every night etc. I have even saved them, when they have gotten inito an empty bag of dog food, or can't get out of the sink.
They do have seasons. Now that the weather is getting warmer, they are pretty much gone. After I spread Diatomaceaus Earth around the shed, they don't go in there anymore.
We live with them. I don't want to cause anything to suffer. I think they are cute.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,959,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This has been a dilemma for me for years. We live in a small town, surrounded by fields. I have 3 dogs that are fair mousers, but not cat friendly. I have tried everything, that is humane - I found poison was too slow and cruel. The spring traps didn't always kill instantly. The humane traps work for a little while, but they are smart little critters.
I ended up giving up the battle. We know they are there, so I just clean more thoroughly, don't leave out any food, clear the sink every night etc. I have even saved them, when they have gotten inito an empty bag of dog food, or can't get out of the sink.
They do have seasons. Now that the weather is getting warmer, they are pretty much gone. After I spread Diatomaceaus Earth around the shed, they don't go in there anymore.
We live with them. I don't want to cause anything to suffer. I think they are cute.
So what you use is "political correctness".

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM

7,287 posts, read 17,408,482 times
RidEx - those gadgets you plug into a wall. We've had them for 3 years and have seen one mouse only.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
Quote:
Ummm... ahhh... You DO know that they spread diseases, right? Of course, Bubonic Plague and Hantaviruses such as Hemorrhagic Fever are so curable now, if caught in time.

CDC - Diseases directly transmitted by rodents - Rodents

Of course, there's always The Hantavirus that infected the Navajo tribe in 1993...

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) is a severe, sometimes fatal, respiratory disease in humans caused by infection with a hantavirus.
Anyone who comes into contact with rodents that carry hantavirus is at risk of HPS. Rodent infestation in and around the home remains the primary risk for hantavirus exposure. Even healthy individuals are at risk for HPS infection if exposed to the virus.

CDC - Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) - Hantavirus

I don't even tolerate squirrels around my yard. Go CATS! Better them than me...

Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Ummm... ahhh... You DO know that they spread diseases, right? Of course, Bubonic Plague and Hantaviruses such as Hemorrhagic Fever are so curable now, if caught in time.

CDC - Diseases directly transmitted by rodents - Rodents

Of course, there's always The Hantavirus that infected the Navajo tribe in 1993...

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) is a severe, sometimes fatal, respiratory disease in humans caused by infection with a hantavirus.
Anyone who comes into contact with rodents that carry hantavirus is at risk of HPS. Rodent infestation in and around the home remains the primary risk for hantavirus exposure. Even healthy individuals are at risk for HPS infection if exposed to the virus.

CDC - Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) - Hantavirus

I don't even tolerate squirrels around my yard. Go CATS! Better them than me...
Yeah, I read about it. We don't have Hanta here. Some people remove their shoes, and think dogs are dirty. I'm just not that way. I tend to think people are more dirty than most animals. My dog dug out a gopher the other day, I rescued it. I have no quarrel with nature, I try to live with it.
I do away with mosquitoes, ticks, and the occassional black widow, the rest are pretty safe from me.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,788,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Mice supposedly hate the smell of mint. I would put some strong smelling mint gum in places were you've seen mice. You can plant it outside, but it can be invasive to other plants.

I had read this post when you first posted it. Mint doesn't work for us. I went out and bought as much mint as I could find and planted it everywheres and still get mice. They are coming in our cabin where there isn't any food kept and it's summer. It's not like they are getting cold. I don't get it.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,788,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If you can't have cats...I recommend those little electronic pest deterrants...they plug into the wall and emitt a frequency too high for us to hear or to bother the dogs, and they sure work good to keep mice and rats away,,,they also drive spiders and some insects away.
What brand do you recommend because I have tried two different kinds and they do not work either.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I had read this post when you first posted it. Mint doesn't work for us. I went out and bought as much mint as I could find and planted it everywheres and still get mice. They are coming in our cabin where there isn't any food kept and it's summer. It's not like they are getting cold. I don't get it.
We had a bunch of mice in our storage shed at one time. They were getting into my cardboard boxes, our pictures etc. As I switched to the big plastic containers, I spread some diatomaceous earth over the floor and shelves. I haven't seen a mouse out there since. I don't know if the DE had anything to do with it, but it's worth a try.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,959,499 times
Quote:
We had a bunch of mice in our storage shed at one time. They were getting into my cardboard boxes, our pictures etc. As I switched to the big plastic containers, I spread some diatomaceous earth over the floor and shelves. I haven't seen a mouse out there since. I don't know if the DE had anything to do with it, but it's worth a try.
Yes...plastic containers can be better and faster than traps. I put everything (mainly anything loose) in plastic containers and it's like they just disappeared. But I wasn't sure that's what did it unti you
mentioned it in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or