U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Location: South of Maine
739 posts, read 864,229 times
Reputation: 799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
There was another unwanted guest lying dead on my living room floor when I got home from work today. Kitty's doing her job...unfortunately she started playing with the corpse before I could throw it out.
...you are talking about a mouse..right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 10,019,770 times
Reputation: 4244
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
...you are talking about a mouse..right??
If our dog gets one, we toss the corpse in the field for the hawks. It's quite a thrill to see them swoop down for a meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,661 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thank you for thanking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay if you are going with traps use gummy bears as bait because rats and mice really like sweet things and cheese also works but I have never seen anything bait them like gummy bears . Im serious it works like a charm. My grandma's house was loaded with mice until my brother and I went to the hardware store and got the traps and the gummy bears . after about 5 night no more mice and she put all her food up in chew proof containers , although I have seen rats chew through steel wool . so im not sure what a chew proof container is , lol . But put all your grains and dry food and beans and etc away and then wallah set the traps and let them do their work .I bet you we cleaned out 500 mice easy and maybe 100 rats . she lived close to a guy who used to leave cat food out and he moved so they moved onto granny's house and she was infested . But we got rid of em . thanks be to god !!!
I am having computer trouble and don't know where my original post/reply went, so I'm replying to this one to thank you for the gummy bear idea. We have always had success with peanut butter, but last night, nothing "took". (We put a baited trap under the dresser before going to sleep.) In my original story this afternoon, I explained my horror upon seeing something pinkish-white crawling slowly on my bed yesterday, then behind the headboard, after hearing small sounds near my window the night before, but then finding no other "evidence" at all (no droppings, nothing chewed, no holes, etc.) Last night, I only heard rain, and was wondering 2 things: should I put the other 3 traps out near the window and bed? (We bought 2 2-packs when we had mice before, that were all GRAY in color.) Question 2: Could this be a baby possum, due to the color, and the fact of where it was, and mice usually crawl down low, don't they? The mice we got before were in the usual places you might expect (attic, in old house, kitchen, or bathroom in other house, both houses in heavily wooded areas - probably trying to escape this extreme heat and look for water.) How I'd love to bring our kitty indoors. If she clawed the furniture, I think it would be a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing she probably wouldn't let anything crawl on us! We left the light on half the night last night! I don't eat in bed, but we were gone for several days, and thought maybe something tried to come in by using the tree by the window as a means of access to the second floor. It sounds crazy,but I think a possum got in my Dad's house after he died and it was vacant for a while. Please someone give me some advice if you can. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 10,019,770 times
Reputation: 4244
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat View Post
I am having computer trouble and don't know where my original post/reply went, so I'm replying to this one to thank you for the gummy bear idea. We have always had success with peanut butter, but last night, nothing "took". (We put a baited trap under the dresser before going to sleep.) In my original story this afternoon, I explained my horror upon seeing something pinkish-white crawling slowly on my bed yesterday, then behind the headboard, after hearing small sounds near my window the night before, but then finding no other "evidence" at all (no droppings, nothing chewed, no holes, etc.) Last night, I only heard rain, and was wondering 2 things: should I put the other 3 traps out near the window and bed? (We bought 2 2-packs when we had mice before, that were all GRAY in color.) Question 2: Could this be a baby possum, due to the color, and the fact of where it was, and mice usually crawl down low, don't they? The mice we got before were in the usual places you might expect (attic, in old house, kitchen, or bathroom in other house, both houses in heavily wooded areas - probably trying to escape this extreme heat and look for water.) How I'd love to bring our kitty indoors. If she clawed the furniture, I think it would be a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing she probably wouldn't let anything crawl on us! We left the light on half the night last night! I don't eat in bed, but we were gone for several days, and thought maybe something tried to come in by using the tree by the window as a means of access to the second floor. It sounds crazy,but I think a possum got in my Dad's house after he died and it was vacant for a while. Please someone give me some advice if you can. Thanks!
One of our friends, a burly guy that is just a marshmellow for animals, took in a baby possum and raised it to adult. She was actually quite tame. She lived in his workshop and would return to raise her family. Haven't heard about her lately. All I'm saying is that I don't think you have much to fear. There is probably lots of info on the web as to how to discourage them, if that is indeed what you have.
If you have mice, like I do, I put MouseAway on cotton strips in the back of their favorite drawers, and they disappeared. Apparently they hate the smell, which I found pleasant. It's a bottle of Spearming and Peppermit combination of pure oil. For what it's worth. I gave up on trapping them, we have too many. They seem to have their seasons, sometimes we see them more often than other months. If you see an entrance, you can plug it with a brillo pad or stainless steel mesh, they hate that. But they may just create another hole. It's an endless battle, but I won't hurt them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,380,362 times
Reputation: 6794
I leave it to my kitty cat.

She is the best mouser in the universe. Plus birds, plus rats, plus anything else that moves...all delivered to my feet with maximum squawking and pride. She's even bought one and dropped it on me in bed.

She brought one in once and dropped it, it was still alive and disappeared......ugh........a few days later I heard a crash in the night and the next thing, in she came, with the escapee clamped in her jaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,380,362 times
Reputation: 6794
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
One of our friends, a burly guy that is just a marshmellow for animals, took in a baby possum and raised it to adult. She was actually quite tame. She lived in his workshop and would return to raise her family. Haven't heard about her lately. All I'm saying is that I don't think you have much to fear. There is probably lots of info on the web as to how to discourage them, if that is indeed what you have.
If you have mice, like I do, I put MouseAway on cotton strips in the back of their favorite drawers, and they disappeared. Apparently they hate the smell, which I found pleasant. It's a bottle of Spearming and Peppermit combination of pure oil. For what it's worth. I gave up on trapping them, we have too many. They seem to have their seasons, sometimes we see them more often than other months. If you see an entrance, you can plug it with a brillo pad or stainless steel mesh, they hate that. But they may just create another hole. It's an endless battle, but I won't hurt them.
This is gross, but we get mouse plagues here.

The kids play cricket with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
 
12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Reputation: 24548
Regarding getting rid of mice, I purchased an older west Texas farm house surrounded by cropland a few years ago. The farmhouse and barns had not been occupied for a couple of years and the buildings were overrun with rats and field mice. I tried rat and mouse snap traps, Sherman and Havahart live traps, poisoned bait but the most effective controls I found was a couple of Victor Electronic rat traps followed by adopting two homeless tom cats. The Victor electronic traps had no problem in giving a lethal hot foot to rats so large they could not get entirely into the trap. Now whenever I see evidence of a mouse inside the house, I sit one of these traps out with a piece of bread inside as bait and, without fail, another mouse is sent to rodent heaven the very night I set the trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,380,362 times
Reputation: 6794
Female cats make the best mousers.

Just sayn'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,909,422 times
Reputation: 16806
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I leave it to my kitty cat.

She is the best mouser in the universe. Plus birds, plus rats, plus anything else that moves...all delivered to my feet with maximum squawking and pride. She's even bought one and dropped it on me in bed.

She brought one in once and dropped it, it was still alive and disappeared......ugh........a few days later I heard a crash in the night and the next thing, in she came, with the escapee clamped in her jaws.
I've seen no mice in the house since Mom came. She knows how to catch them and dispatches them as well, then brings me a present. She's also useful when my origional cat figured out how to catch them and was so proud she came trooping in the bedroom with her mouse and let it go. So it ran under the bed but she was tired of the game. Put Mom in the room and shut the door. No more mouse.

Back in California we finally had to resort to poison with the roof rats, but worried a lot one would die somewhere we could only smell it. And when my dog appeared to have been messing with a dead mouse I fed her a lot of B-12 and got rid of all the poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,661 times
Reputation: 10
Default Wonder Why Female Cats Are Better Mousers?

I'm curious as to why the female cats make the best mousers. Our kitty used to be a great hunter, which is actually why we "adopted" her to begin with, because the poor thing was having to resort to killing birds, moles, etc. We witnessed this poor cat fending for herself once or twice. We fed her once, and she became "domesticated" on our porch ever since. We did not have to let her in to take care of this last mystery pest, however, but I will still highly consider her next time. I hope and pray there won't be a next time, with precautions being taken sealing food, more diligent trash emptying, etc. This morning was the end of the mystery rodent, which my son said was an off-white colored small rat, not a baby possum. 3 days after its horrifying sighting, it was found under my son's bed after we noticed a horrible smell twenty-four hours ago. After removing the corpse, cleaning the "spot" with Dawn and water, and burning different-scented candles, it smells nice again. My teenager did this all on his own. Thank God for husbands and sons who are not the least bit squeamish! And thank God it was somewhere he could reach and remove. Why are some of us so terrified of something so small and probably even more afraid than me? Roaches and spiders and even snakes don't get as big of a reaction! Well, best of luck to everyone with their rodent control, and stay cool this summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top