Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times

Advertisements

We had a nieghbor who raised pigs in and old time sty. They were well treated and tasted very good. From time to time they would escape and head for a nearby creek esp in the summer. I often helped with the farm chores on weekends to give them a rest.

The family raised livestock the organic way dating back before chemicals.
The barns would be cleaned out from time to time and spread on the fields. Seeds were saved.

Thier major concession to modernity were some old tractors that were considered almost worthless in the 70's. A wealthy farmer let them have a 1921 John Deere. One of the things they did was collect scrap metal.

The family was not so sure having the interstate hwy come through in the 1950's was really much of blessing.

All would be considered dastardy criminals today by many even though they paid their own way in society.

On this thread there is a culture clash vs people working on old cars and riding dirt bikes and atvs. I cant object to people having guns who use them safely or riding recreational vehicles. There were evern kids who brought guns to school for speech class and show and tell, just had leave them in the Principles office if they were to be taken into the school.

Some people tried to start a HOA where I lived, who wanted me to move.
It turned out to be rather fun taking them on. Since there was no TV where I had lived, to get a good story you need to read a good book. So I really was able to slam the SAT's. I got a free ride to a moderately selective college. So figured out where the leverage was, without breaking and enforceable law had a nice talk with them using measured words.

If someone's personality fits the HOA lifestyles go for it. Over the next 5 to 10 years the fussy lifestyle may not be affordable for the overwhelming majority of people anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
We had a nieghbor who raised pigs in and old time sty. They were well treated and tasted very good. From time to time they would escape and head for a nearby creek esp in the summer. I often helped with the farm chores on weekends to give them a rest.

The family raised livestock the organic way dating back before chemicals.
The barns would be cleaned out from time to time and spread on the fields. Seeds were saved.

Thier major concession to modernity were some old tractors that were considered almost worthless in the 70's. A wealthy farmer let them have a 1921 John Deere. One of the things they did was collect scrap metal.

The family was not so sure having the interstate hwy come through in the 1950's was really much of blessing.

All would be considered dastardy criminals today by many even though they paid their own way in society.

On this thread there is a culture clash vs people working on old cars and riding dirt bikes and atvs. I cant object to people having guns who use them safely or riding recreational vehicles. There were evern kids who brought guns to school for speech class and show and tell, just had leave them in the Principles office if they were to be taken into the school.

Some people tried to start a HOA where I lived, who wanted me to move.
It turned out to be rather fun taking them on. Since there was no TV where I had lived, to get a good story you need to read a good book. So I really was able to slam the SAT's. I got a free ride to a moderately selective college. So figured out where the leverage was, without breaking and enforceable law had a nice talk with them using measured words.

If someone's personality fits the HOA lifestyles go for it. Over the next 5 to 10 years the fussy lifestyle may not be affordable for the overwhelming majority of people anyway.
Culture clash eh?

30 or 40 or 50 years ago there was no ATVs flying and zooming about, people had more respect for each other etc. I am in my mid 30s but I think I should have lived in those times. I have no problem with someone riding an ATV on their big ranch for work or fun, I have a problem when six or eight people get together with their ATVs and that's all you hear all day long. Now, where I come from that's RUDE, not "culture".

OD

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Personally, I don't like HOAs and one of the requirements when I bought my home was no HOA. I try to minimize the number of payments I have that never go away!

Las Vegas has many HOAs. Some are reasonable, others are draconian. A few even employ traffic officers and give out their own tickets. Because of the housing issues here, there are many vacant homes and some HOAs have raised their dues to make up for the vacant properties. It can be quite an expense. I don't like the idea of being told I can't have a hose in the yard or park in my driveway. I also didn't want to live in an area with all the houses painted the same. I think that looks incredibly boring.

But that's just me. Some other people love them!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Here's another thread from GA on HOA harassment...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...arage-hoa.html
Wow...how appalling. HOAs are even worse than terrorists in some cases...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Sometimes worse then common criminals

There no doubt people who like living in a strictly regulated environment.

It looks like it could be nightmare, esp when alot of may be about keeping up "real estate values" No values tend to be often less then what people owe anyway.

It looks alot like giving up freedom for security and winding up with niether.

I have all the drama I can use just trying to earn a good living, and provide for the family

Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I've seen both sides of the HOA issue. We bought a house in a neighborhood whose HOA was run by "Mrs. Kravitz." Many on the board were retired and had nothing better to do that stick their nose in everyone's business. We spent an arm and a leg finding a shed that matched our home exactly. They told us were to put it on our property.

Why did we buy in this neighborhood? The yards were spotless, the homes fresh and clean, and every trash bin in its place. When we relocated 3 years later, we sold the place in the blink of an eye for quite a profit.

It was worth the inconvenience to protect our investment.

When we retire, we will look for a place without an HOA. Cause I don't care what our place is worth when we are dead and gone!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...arage-hoa.html

After reading this thread and the power the HOA boards maintain, I would run as fast as I could from anything with HOA attached to it.
It's the OP's fault..!He states that he doesn't pay the fees he agreed to pay.!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
He agreed that they can put a lein on his house - I doubt he agreed to allow them to block his access.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
It's the OP's fault..!He states that he doesn't pay the fees he agreed to pay.!
It's not quite as simple as you make it sound. I recommend anyone wanting to know what is actually said read the thread. It's eye-opening.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Not all HOA's are created equal. I was the president of a bedroom community HOA for a few years in the early 90s and was pretty easy to get along with. We had very limited fees if memory serves, $150 a year that paid for street lights, road maintenance when needed, flowers at the entrance, a summer picnic, fall hayride and our annual HOA meeting dinner which was well attended. Seemed like a good deal.

I did see where if the HOA board becomes unbalanced in either direction there could be problems. One of our board members/architectural officer got all twisted in a knot over the color that someone painted one of the few non-cedar sided homes. It was a shade of clear mauve with cream trim, wine accents. It was a professional paint job. While not necessarily a color that I'd choose, it was attractive, did not detract from the other homes and it did not technically violate "colors found in nature" that our HOA rules demanded. It took a while to get the offended board member to cool down and see reason before he got into the homeowner's face about compliance and starting a ruckus in the neighborhood. If there had been six others like him, we would have had trouble in paradise. The uptight officer eventually moved to another area with tighter covenants as he was disgusted with us all. We moved out in the mid-90's to get closer to work to an older established non-HOA neighborhood in the city. We occasionally drop by the old neighborhood when in the area. The place has aged well and still seems peaceful.

HOAs can work and do what was intended or they can be a PITA or worse. Depends on the set-up, the residents and the power players. Any one of those gets out of whack and life becomes miserable for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living