U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
HOAs are fine beacons of all increasing misery & isolation modern way of life delivers (together with cheap plastic junk) to the citizenry. For whatever reason modern breed of folks tries to avoid person-to-person conflicts or even contacts, no matter how insignificant & petty a "problem" is. There is no tradition or society to handle/prevent petty squabbles outside of the legal system. Naturally, if person-to-person contacts are on decline, home theaters & pools are on the rise, petty regulating agencies are on the rise too. After all, American way is person-to-agency-to-person communication. If you've visited less "developed" countries you would never stop noticing how sterile & devoid of life most of the American "neighborhoods" are. Yup, petty conflicts and unmitigated by the agencies resolutions are fabric of a community without " ". But since it's hard to impossible to find a community without " " HOA and intrusive government regulations will be on the rise. After all, citizenry needs "community" to raise property values & cash out, governments need more & more $ in property taxes. Unholy team work.

For example behold Indianapolis sized HOA, The Office of Code Enforcement says recent changes in city ordinance allow Indianapolis to take aggressive action against property owners after just one notice. If the city notifies the owner that the grass is too high and nothing is done about it, the city will clean up the property and send the owner the bill. Bills for landscaping and mowing generally come to around $300.
Look through the threads on city-data - there are quite a few talking about the nightmare life becomes when dealing with a bad neighbor or neighbors. This gets magnified in rural areas that have been "trashified" or "gentrified" (depends on whose side you take in that debate). You don't like the fact that your neighbor is loud, obnoxious, fires his weapons all day long, rides around your property (or on it), invites his buddies to drink all day and make noise etc.? Apparently it is your fault that you moved next to this guy and it is your fault you don't appreciate his way of life. Try talking to a person like that too... I have a friend who lives about 60 miles north from me in a town where ATVs are banned on the streets. He has a neighbor who routinely rides his with his little daughter in tow, no helmet nonetheless. Well, my friend tried to talk to this ATV lover, got the finger. Then my friend called the cops. They always show up 30 minutes too late and unless they can catch the guy in the act... So, what is a person to do? You have tried talking, you have tried the law....

People tell you to do research and I generally agree with that. For example, once I looked at a house that both my wife and I liked. It was in a semi-rural area, very nice home, 10 acres, the price was right. The neighbors looked OK. On pour 5th visit to th neighborhood we heard a bunch of gunshots. Well, it turns out that there was a open rifle range used by law-enforcement within a few miles.

Some things you can research but thing you cannot prevent - an idiot moving in next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,254,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Once I looked at a ranch in New Mexico that was a development with restrictive covenants in place. It looked great, these were about 10 acre parcels, it was a nice setting. I was about to fly out there and take a look at it. But one of their promotional videos showed a family on ATVs running through the ranch in the recreational area. Their HOA rules and restrictions did not mention ATVs and boy I am glad I watched their video.
Canyon Ridge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0LRxv4fRfo

I looked into this place once. Looked fabulous. Way out of my price range, but it had nice promo videos, nonetheless. Can't find the really stunning one, but they sure make it look good. Their website seems semi-defunct now. Seems like it ended up being another 'bait and switch' HOA planned community that was wildly long on promises and possibly short on delivery.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,539,972 times
Just as an aside - my great-aunt raised pigs. She kept them on pallets, and it was my job every day in the summer to wash down the pigs and their pallets. She also had a shallow cement pond for them to keep cool/bathe in. Pigs really don't like to be dirty, but they do get very hot and can actually get sunburned. Most folks, however, don't understand that when a pig is rooting in mud, s/he is just trying to be cool and protect their skin. My GA's pigs were the cleanest pigs around - they even had a specific area they preferred to lay their manure. (Potbellied pigs actually will use a litterbox and can be housetrained!) The 'pigsty' wasn't bad at all, even in the summer. Liming the sty seemed to help too. So 'banning pigs' isn't really fair; there are things you can do to keep them from becoming offensive to neighbors. I have considered putting pigs in here but I am too busy with cows and chickens and gardens to mess with a pig. They are awfully smart and fun to have around, though.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM

44,008 posts, read 53,860,986 times
If you don't like oranges, don't buy and eat an orange.

If you don't like someone going around on your behalf keeping the neighborhood looking nice and (gasp!) telling you what to do, then don't buy a house where there is an HOA.

I don't get why this is a conversation. Next thread: Liver - yummy or not?

Funny how I have managed to live in this HOA neighborhood for 22 years and never once be 'harassed' by the HOA...who, btw, does a great job of making this place really beautiful.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 AM

4,675 posts, read 3,472,004 times
I like having a crunched up car on my front lawn. It's a great burglar deterrent

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Just as an aside - my great-aunt raised pigs. She kept them on pallets, and it was my job every day in the summer to wash down the pigs and their pallets. She also had a shallow cement pond for them to keep cool/bathe in. Pigs really don't like to be dirty, but they do get very hot and can actually get sunburned. Most folks, however, don't understand that when a pig is rooting in mud, s/he is just trying to be cool and protect their skin. My GA's pigs were the cleanest pigs around - they even had a specific area they preferred to lay their manure. (Potbellied pigs actually will use a litterbox and can be housetrained!) The 'pigsty' wasn't bad at all, even in the summer. Liming the sty seemed to help too. So 'banning pigs' isn't really fair; there are things you can do to keep them from becoming offensive to neighbors. I have considered putting pigs in here but I am too busy with cows and chickens and gardens to mess with a pig. They are awfully smart and fun to have around, though.
Too bad every pig owner is not like your great-aunt. I agree with you, pigs are intelligent, they can be trained too. I personally think that people have misunderstood "rights" and took them as "right to do whatever I want, no matter how it impacts everyone else". By sheer virtue of our space being limited, most of the things around us are "privileges", and as such they get taken away when a sufficient number of people abuse them. It is a sad state of affairs but it is true. Your GA is a great example of a responsible livestock (or pet) owner. She would be on the receiving end of overly restrictive zoning rules imposed on people because the vast majority of pig owners did not take the time to be as responsible.

I like when I hear I story like the above. Unfortunately, I think it is the exception to the rule.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Canyon Ridge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0LRxv4fRfo

I looked into this place once. Looked fabulous. Way out of my price range, but it had nice promo videos, nonetheless. Can't find the really stunning one, but they sure make it look good. Their website seems semi-defunct now. Seems like it ended up being another 'bait and switch' HOA planned community that was wildly long on promises and possibly short on delivery.
No, I think it was Spring Canyon.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,539,972 times
Here's another thread from GA on HOA harassment...
Car Stuck in Garage by HOA

Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,479,025 times
What's wrong with them? Oh, where to start....The main issue is that their power isn't limited. Seriously. Google and you'll see what I mean. If you have an issue with your HOA, you have a big problem. They can eventually take your house. This link hits on the major issues

10 Things a Homeowners Association Won't Tell You: Mortgage Center - Yahoo! Finance

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM

5,900 posts, read 13,523,154 times
Car Stuck in Garage by HOA

After reading this thread and the power the HOA boards maintain, I would run as fast as I could from anything with HOA attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or