U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,759,346 times

Advertisements

Our little town's ordinance's would take care of that too (parking, that is).

We have also had one of our neighbors who allows his dog free reign of the neighborhood. In that case, the police have been called (though not by us) and have done nothing but warn him to keep better care of his dog. It poops in our yard at least once a day, aggravating our dog to no end.

He came by last week, asked if we'd seen him, but it had been a few days of blissful silence, so we told him no. Later that night, he told my husband they found him on the next street, dead, run over by a car by the look of it. He was angry and yelling. But it's karma - no HOA necessary to fine him into keeping his dog locked up. I'll bet he keeps the new puppy in his own yard though!

Oh - and regarding the other neighbor - he came by and asked if 'things' were 'missing' from our yard - I told him no, we don't leave anything out. Seems his stockpile of metal has gotten significantly smaller. He's moved it to a spot closer to his home and built an enclosure around it.

No HOA necessary to get him to do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,999,457 times
I doubt I'd ever live with HOA's. I currently live on 10 acres. Several years ago I did have a problem with a drunkin' neighbor who would shoot onto my land...called the cops problem solved. I've also had a problem with a new neighbor turning their dogs loose and having them run my property...went over and told them about their dogs on my property and there is a county leash law...they were rude and first lied to me that they weren't out, then said they were "friendly". I told them we won't have a problem if you keep your dogs off my property. In the past we've had city folk move up and turn their multitude of rovers loose on the neighborhood. One of the neighbors has 1200+ acres and award winning cattle operation...the rovers got into the cattle killed several of the calves and chewed the ears off a momma cow before the farm owners could shoot most of them. Then rovers owners went over to ***** to them about killing their precious rovers. They threatened to call the cops...farm owner said...sure thing, let me just get my phone.

Most of the properties around here have cattle/horse opperations and loosed dogs get that pack mentality going chasing the wildlife or livestock - both illegal per our county and state laws.

Most people have ATV's to work their properties, we do have a few kids who moved up here and raced up and down the dirt roads cutting donuts tearing up the roads...one call to the local sherif solved that problem.

People around here don't "mow lawns" we bushog pasture, many times they are up at the crack of dawn bushoging...to bring a hay crop in. It's part of country life and I'll take it any day over living in a SD.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM

373 posts, read 555,886 times
The across the road neighbor did put in a lighted arena recently (the neighbor down the road had one for ages, but he's moved now and took the arena with him, dang it - we had a standing invitation to come use it if we wanted). I was a bit concerned because when the lights were being installed, they were pointed directly at our house and were pretty bright. But by the end of the installation, they were pointed down and shielded so that they would not offend anyone else or cause light pollution. Now, there IS light pollution in our area that wasn't there years ago, caused by the new subdivision in town that DOES have an HOA, go figure.

Occasionally we'll have someone driving like a bat out of hell down our little country road, usually in a fancy car. But other than that, no real problems.
__________________________________________________ ____________
So many issues can be resolved or at least mitigated just by getting to know nieghbors and being helpful and respectful like the lighting issue when the neighbor adjusted the lights.

Other problems often can also. Often just be speaking with and getting to know others. Often better then formal rules and laws. It can result in people having new friends to help and look out for each other. Even kids who make noise, because that is what kids tend to do outside, will not be offended if they know friends of thier parents are looking out for them.
There are places in Dallas completely devoid of children and parents.
Where I live kids tend to be everywhere and anywhere during daylight non school times. They will report suspicious people or activities to thier parents or myself. Over the years criminals have had thier day ruined by this...Since they tend to move quickly and go anywhere it is like having a nieghborhood watch. So is having neighbors on good speaking terms.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Apparently not, since I live in the country and rarely see an ATV and NEVER see a dirt bike and if the neighbors get drunk (which I'm pretty sure they do from time to time, in some cases we're talking about actual cowboys here - you know, people who work cattle on horseback for a living and win money at rodeos?), they're not obvious or obnoxious about it.

The across the road neighbor did put in a lighted arena recently (the neighbor down the road had one for ages, but he's moved now and took the arena with him, dang it - we had a standing invitation to come use it if we wanted). I was a bit concerned because when the lights were being installed, they were pointed directly at our house and were pretty bright. But by the end of the installation, they were pointed down and shielded so that they would not offend anyone else or cause light pollution. Now, there IS light pollution in our area that wasn't there years ago, caused by the new subdivision in town that DOES have an HOA, go figure.

Occasionally we'll have someone driving like a bat out of hell down our little country road, usually in a fancy car. But other than that, no real problems.

As for a boat parked in front of your house for six months, do you live in a town? Because most towns do have some sort of regulation regarding parking that would cover that, you might have tried calling them about it. Most have some sort of regulations, too, regarding lawns not being mowed at all and, if notified, if the grass gets too high (not half an inch too high, not mowed at all too high), will send a notice and if it's not corrected, come in, do the mowing, and bill the homeowner for it. All without an HOA at all. (I don't know that the town would do that if the home was in an HOA, come to think of it, I think that's why cities like HOA's so much, because the HOA is supposed to take care of that sort of thing for them while the city still collects your taxes and the HOA collects its dues for the same thing.)
You should come to my neighborhood

I agree with the anti-HOA sentiments though. I am just trying to say that there is a reason why they exist even if they are an exaggeration and a clear infraction on your liberties. Problems exist when you are too nice and civilized to deal with a**holes who are neither. Police will often not be able to do anything or in small towns might be unwilling too.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-05-2011, 05:32 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Maybe its a Utah thing, back in NM it was bassically dont be a jerk and the rules apply to everyone. Its really strange also that in Utah you find a very expensive neighboarhood tied into a more middle class neighboarhood, wich at times can cause issues with both neighboarhoods when it comesdown to fencing, and landscaping at times.
They are about 2 miles down the road from my place i have on the family ranch there and they are trying push there socalled hoa rules on everyone who lives on the same road where there socalled little subdivision is located .The subdivision was bult in the last few years by a guy who lost his ranch land and his family sold to the land to a company that build subdivsion retirement home's for people ..

We have been out there since 1855 era as a family group of rancher owner's in the area

Plus my Aunt & Uncle has a few problems with them allready of the socalled smell of the cattle or the noise dureing the spring and fall round up of the truck's and trailers going up and down the road dureing the day and evening hour's to get the cattle into market

Plus given the fact my house was completely underground along sitting back about 350 yards of the road going down a dirt path to the entance .. You can not see it from the road as you drive the down the road ..

On my place the only thing you will see is a solar and wind set up with a small fenced in area for the car to be parked in and that it and a stange looking dirt mound that is the underground water tank we use dureing the winter time for water storage as it need ..

The land look's like a normal cattle ranch land with trails going back into the hill's area for hikeing or horse back rideing ..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Henry, is there a right to farm act in the state you're in (I don't know where you are or I would just look it up)? Those can be very useful when dealing with the citiots who move to the country and then are shocked, shocked, I say! that there are animals and that animals have odors and that it's dark at night and that there are no sidewalks and that there are FARMERS and RANCHERS out there and that it's not just like the city or like a Disney version of the country. Sometimes they even have brochures you can get and pass/mail out where they'll do the most good.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,211 times
Quote:
Henry, is there a right to farm act in the state you're in (I don't know where you are or I would just look it up)? Those can be very useful when dealing with the citiots who move to the country and then are shocked, shocked, I say! that there are animals and that animals have odors and that it's dark at night and that there are no sidewalks and that there are FARMERS and RANCHERS out there and that it's not just like the city or like a Disney version of the country. Sometimes they even have brochures you can get and pass/mail out where they'll do the most good.
That the part i do not get about them moveing out to the area ..It raw cattle or sheep ranchs in the area and not alot of anything else and why would someone build a small subdivision out there is beyond me in that way of thinking ..

The judge bought that up to them that they moved into a area where there is cattle & sheep ranching going on and this how it is take or leave ..

There is two women on the board who is the most problem people of the HOA group and they have been the one's who is leading the socalled problem with them ..

This weekend i was talking to my Aunt about them and she goes the Local Cattlemen lawyer's have told the Subdivision HOA that the next time they have a problem with the Cattle round up..We can do it at odd hour's along with odd days of the week to get it done ..

She think's that they got the message about comeing out of the subdivision and trying any more stupid things with the people who live in the area ..

My Aunt did tell me i have another letter from them about reprostioning my solar panel tracker system because it shineing into some window in the evening when the panel has tracker to the west to catch the last of the sunlight before it goes over the mountains there ..

I asked her what was her reply to them and she said She said she think about and then she wrote back to them in a fax to them .. If the panels where bothering you in the evening dureing the summer months then closed the drapes so not to bother them anymore ..

The panels have been there about 10 years now in that prostion because it the best area to catch the max amount of sun on it passage over the area for the off grid set up i have there .

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM

373 posts, read 555,886 times
Default It is biting the hand that feeds them.

It is foolish to give the famers a hard time,

It does amount to biting the hand that feeds them.

Take the defense seriously of private property and farming and ranching seriously.

In many areas of the country people have been harrased out of business.
Many people in and around where I grew up have been. Fields empty, barns and other supporting buildings torn down. Lots of unused land and very little in the way crops and animals now. Its bring the building up to current code or else...

No riding horses on along many of the back roads because of speeding cars.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,589,709 times
Quote:
Henry, is there a right to farm act in the state you're in (I don't know where you are or I would just look it up)?
All 50 States have some form of "right to farm" laws now. This is a decent website you can look up the different states laws regarding their right-to-farm legislation.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,733,725 times
The nice thing about owning your home is not having a landlord hanging over you. Why would you buy a house with a HOA, where although you own your home you have to answer to someone on what you can or can't do, screw that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or