Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

hello everyone I am a regullar boy from Europe Romania. It's pretty hard living in this country because of the lack of money and people being mean and selfish, hard to get a job and all that. So I wanna escape from this and I was thinking living in U.S will be so nice. I am looking for a small town in wich I could have some good job oportunities, cheap places to stay maybe to buy my own house and thing like that. you get the ideea. If anyone can help with some advices please reply Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residentmemo View Post
I am looking for a small town
in which I could have some good job opportunities,
cheap places to stay
maybe to buy my own house
and thing like that. you get the ideea.
There are lots (LOT'S!) of small towns throughout the US with relatively cheap costs to live (independent of housing and healthcare) where a person who already has a pile of money could use that to buy a house at a relatively reasonable price.

The problem... is that rather few of those places have good job opportunities anywhere close by for the sort of work needed to afford the housing and healthcare costs. In the places where there are such jobs... the housing costs will be significantly higher as well.

The solution... is to have some really arcane skill so that you can be recruited by a sponsor or very generalized skills and the willingness to work an incredibly high number of hours per week.

Good luck... but stay in school for a while longer.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,644 times
let's asume that I have some generalized skills and the willingness to work high number of hours per week and like 3000 $ to start with. what options do i have? and what could be stucking me to achive this goal?
oh..one more thing. I finished my school. I am young but not that young and I can come back home any moment if I fail in some way to succed

Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times
Look at the North Dakota forum.

If I were a young person today I'd buy a tent and take off for Williston or Minot North Dakota and see what work I could find. This is an oil boom area - very hard work, but wages are high for even unskilled labor. There is a problem with insufficient housing, though, so you will have to get permission to pitch your tent somewhere or go live in what is being called a company "man camp." If you could learn to drive a truck you'd do even better.

In fact, since you're not from America - first get a student visa to an American community college that teaches truck driving. Get your certificate, then get the appropriate work visa which will allow you to stay in the US to work, then off you go to North Dakota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living