Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times

Advertisements

We have the American Legion and their Auxiliary, who send kids to the capitol every year to learn about government and civics in action for a week. We are members. We also have the Circle C committee that has a festival/rodeo (kid-centered) every year to raise money for the community; I am on the committee and we have a lot of fun. There is no Rotary or Lions Club within 40 miles. The HS where I work has Community Service Days where the kids go out and help trim trees, clean up the town, etc. and the FFA kids will hang and take down Christmas lights for the elderly, put up flags for Memorial Day and Fourth of July on the lightposts, and help with the festival/rodeo as well. Oh, we also have the Cemetery Club that takes care of the local cemetery. Pretty much that's all - in a town of 149 people, there's not a lot that needs taking care of!

I used to be a Rotarian back east, and frankly the local folks here spend more time and money locally on what needs to be done, without a lot of politics, bureaucracy, or personalities getting in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
The heart and soul of my community is high school sports and the local diner.
Same here, plus the Dairy Queen in summer and the Rod and Gun Club. Also an honorable mention to our wonderful Amish community - they are an asset to our rural area! We have buggy hitches on Main Street and even in the parking lot of the new Super WalMart.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
We have Rotary, Kiwanis, American Legion, VFW, and Elks.

I am a Mason and Shriner.

In the 60s and 70s, the youth were largely anti-establishment. So young adults stopped joining.

By skipping a generation, it is hard now for these groups to make up the gap.

The Masonic lodge, VFW, and American Legion are all shrinking.

I am fairly active with the VFW, and we have a lot of vets in our community. But the older people are mostly not online, while servicemembers returning stateside today do not have any desire to hang-out in a bar with old people. Online stuff has a far greater pull to absorb free time, then spending time in a bar. [even with lower priced drinks]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living