U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM

996 posts, read 1,410,398 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding rural mountainous/forested land. Any good websites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 8,275,040 times
You will probably need to give some more specifics ...like approximately where should this land be...what country, region, state or an exact mountain. Because I have some fabulous rural, mountainous land just west of Annapurna in Nepal, its not not forested because its above the tree line but other than that it would be perfect. And all I am asking for it is 3 goats, 2 yaks and a Yeti...Hey it would be cheap at 1/2 the price.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 AM

31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
I found that in this area, many realtors with websites list land for sale. But the prices were high, and when I found the land and walked it's property lines I was often disappointed that the description did not faithfully represent the property.

When I began talking to local residents and finding out who actually owned land that was thinking about selling, was when I found a much nicer selection of tracts for much better prices.

If you want tract land being marketed at you, then go to a website.

If you want specifics at lower price, go to land owners.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 8,275,040 times
try maybeModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedsee what happpens

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,540,002 times
United Country.

I would google 'rural land for sale' and find a lot.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 PM

31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
If you are interested in a specific area, you really need to go to that area. Talk to the locals. Look around. See what land is for sale.

You can not rely on websites to have everything that is on the market.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,464 posts, read 41,064,757 times
Yeah, where you looking? There are optimal sites based on regions. (and I know a lot of forested mountainous regions.) Ironically, the place I would last consider living (CA) has some of the most vast and beautiful mountain forests. (coming from someone raised in Colorado and WY mountains (which can be great too.)

As FBK says, look local, and DIG. If it is listed for sale it is too late. Over-priced and over-hyped. I buy via county records and good old fashioned letters. Find a nice area, get the info on ownership from GIS. Send letters to parcels you like, who's owners are living out of state or at least out of region, and have not transferred ownership in last 10 yrs. I strategically send my letters JUST about the time they are paying taxes. I sent 6 letters and bought 4 properties for a song (2 were adjacent, great views, different owners... that is my current homestead. I just bought another rural prop last week. It wasn't listed for sale. It had been sold via sheriffs auction, but the buyer couldn't get the owner out. I 'redeemed' the owner's position and sent him away with a little cash. The auction buyer was glad to get out of the mess. It is a diamond in the rough with some nice 300' tall 'old growth' douglas firs (if that is the type of forest you like). I will be keeping this one, as it has several 'stealth' homesites that won't bother each other or the county assessor. (there were 4 different families living on it (illegally) when it went to auction. I am also looking at doing an 'equity share' with some of my rural places. That is the case where they have multiple living arrangements, or you 'swap' times in the house. Works great for traveling retirees on a budget. Very popular in Europe. Buy a vineyard (complete with caretaker and guest homes). Sell 3 additional 'shares' to recover your capital. Have it to yourself 3 months / yr, or overlap, or use your share as a 'lease' for travelers. (popular for flats in the city too.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, where you looking? There are optimal sites based on regions. (and I know a lot of forested mountainous regions.) Ironically, the place I would last consider living (CA) has some of the most vast and beautiful mountain forests. (coming from someone raised in Colorado and WY mountains (which can be great too.)

As FBK says, look local, and DIG. If it is listed for sale it is too late. Over-priced and over-hyped. I buy via county records and good old fashioned letters. Find a nice area, get the info on ownership from GIS. Send letters to parcels you like, who's owners are living out of state or at least out of region, and have not transferred ownership in last 10 yrs. I strategically send my letters JUST about the time they are paying taxes. I sent 6 letters and bought 4 properties for a song (2 were adjacent, great views, different owners... that is my current homestead. I just bought another rural prop last week. It wasn't listed for sale. It had been sold via sheriffs auction, but the buyer couldn't get the owner out. I 'redeemed' the owner's position and sent him away with a little cash. The auction buyer was glad to get out of the mess. It is a diamond in the rough with some nice 300' tall 'old growth' douglas firs (if that is the type of forest you like). I will be keeping this one, as it has several 'stealth' homesites that won't bother each other or the county assessor. (there were 4 different families living on it (illegally) when it went to auction. I am also looking at doing an 'equity share' with some of my rural places. That is the case where they have multiple living arrangements, or you 'swap' times in the house. Works great for traveling retirees on a budget. Very popular in Europe. Buy a vineyard (complete with caretaker and guest homes). Sell 3 additional 'shares' to recover your capital. Have it to yourself 3 months / yr, or overlap, or use your share as a 'lease' for travelers. (popular for flats in the city too.
Stealth: how does this work? My wife and I are gearing up to live out of a truck camper and go riding our horses around the country. We estimate we would be on the road most of the year, we own a home in South Florida. How does one get into this kind of arrangements?

Thanks!
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living