U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:36 PM

133 posts, read 553,456 times

Advertisements

Hey Forum,

I don't usually soapbox, but I need to pull a shout out for rural college towns. We made the move last year to my little community on the Western Minnesota prairie. While my friends back in the twin cities laugh, "You moved out there? Dirt.... School...... Dirt!" I smile when I think about how my cost of living decreased and my quality of life increased! No more urban battle-- two minute drive to work or 10 minute bike ride.

Being a college town, we are continuously immersed in the athletics and fine arts provided by the University. Additionally, the public schools benefit from all the college students completing classroom experience modules. The university's athletic facilities are open to the public like any gym membership.

I would also make the argument opposite of what you hear on the news. Rural people are healthier--at least in this community. Yes, I know in many areas this is not true, but I work in health care and am amazed by how well functioning people are into their 90s. Their labs look great, BPs normal, cholesterol under control, and excellent renal function.

True, we don't get professional operas coming to town. We will never be on Cirque du Soleil's tour, but this February, A Prairie Home Companion broadcasted live from the University. We are a biennial stop for Garrison Keillor. He is quoted describing our community as "the college town just west of Lake Wobegon."

TTFN,
disneyrecords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM

733 posts, read 4,244,993 times
Morris - a really nice town. Watched a football playoff at Morris back in 1977 or 1978 to see who would be going to the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl [NCAA Division III]. The game was in the middle of a very nice blizzard, which didn't phase anybody at all! Seems like a place where all the women are strong, the men good looking, and all the children are above average.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,492 posts, read 41,085,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
...Rural people are healthier--at least in this community. Yes, I know in many areas this is not true, but I work in health care and am amazed by how well functioning people are into their 90s. T...
It was rural MN and WI senior housing co-ops (Homestead) that were used int he USDA study that indicated seniors live independently 10yrs longer in these co-ops, than in private homes / apartments.

Trust me, MN has some hearty old timers (as does IA, NE, SD, ND, WI)

Not sure the next generation of old folks will be quite so hearty. Maybe if more folks start using their Wii fitness programs.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,065,969 times
My husband and I have long said that a small college town would be ideal. Rural, small town community with bigger-city ammendities like better restuarants and coffee houses, active art community, lecturers, etc. Now if we could only get a job in one!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,964,976 times
Oh I'll bet college towns are great. I visited Lincoln, Nebraska one year and had a blast! Would've considered moving there if I could stand the winters.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM

133 posts, read 553,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Seems like a place where all the women are strong, the men good looking, and all the children are above average.
... not to mention all the powdermilk biscuits courtesy of the Catchup Advisory Board.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:13 AM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
I also went to college in a small town in MN (not Morris, though). Loved it, it's my favorite atmosphere. I grew up rurally, though. I've lived my adult life thus far in both urban and rural areas, and adore both. But small, rural college towns are near and dear to my heart.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM

4,913 posts, read 4,904,531 times
Rural college towns are a real good choice. Hanover NH has an Ivy League school: Dartmouth College. And Dartmouth has created one of the best hospitals in the world way up there near the Vermont border. Quality of life there is excellent.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 PM

16,337 posts, read 13,795,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh I'll bet college towns are great. I visited Lincoln, Nebraska one year and had a blast! Would've considered moving there if I could stand the winters.
But many small town fans would consider Lincoln too big for a small college town.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM

14,752 posts, read 29,071,893 times
I dislike college towns quite a bit. (I think going to college in an urban center is better). They have a cultish, "ivory tower" feel, they are usually overpriced, and the people who want to hang on and be college kids in perpetuity are annoying, and usually "scripted" alternative types.

Many towns come to mind. At the top of the list would be Davis CA, home of UC Davis. It is part of the Sacramento metro area which is not California priced, but flat-as-a-pancake Davis, basically a cow town, with its "civic" amenities, whatever that means, is ridiculously priced and populated by a lot of these "nifty" types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living