U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

123 posts, read 248,950 times

Advertisements

if you live in poor neighborhood now, what make you think you can afford to live in rich neighbor hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus420 View Post
wow.. ok.
I only wrote that because my neighbors now, on both sides of me, are 'poor' as the term goes, and they steal from us constantly, our outdoor plants, our lawn furniture, and even on one occasion, some hubcaps, and if it's not them then it's their relatives/friends that come stay with them. So I was only hoping that if I moved to a "wealthy" town maybe this wouldn't happen. Maybe we actually make friends with our neighbors and our kids would have nice children to play with who don't carry knives.

again I'm sorry I was just looking for some help trying to find this place my husband and I have searching for, guess I came to the wrong forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,412,158 times
Something tells me that unless the OP thinks through what they are going to say before saying it, they are going to have issues with neighbors. Poor people steal so they want to live by wealthy people. Generally, when kids are involved, it doesn't matter whether they are rich or poor as is the case with vandalism. I am guessing that the OP feels if they relocate that they will be able to afford more in one of the states they have listed. Too many people make the assumption that certain areas are inexpensive but when putting together the dream of the land, ponds, mountain views - think $$$$ and anything affordable usually is away from the services of the city. Having grown up poor, I really take offense to the statements that have been made!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,492 posts, read 41,085,731 times
I suggest the OP look to an 'Ag Centric' small town, and avoid mill towns, mining, and timber towns (as well as towns that are bedroom towns to large cities. Find a town with good wholesome spirit and helpfulness.

I think the OP unintentionally came across wrong. (very ez to do). I feel fortunate to have good neighbors, as if you have some bad ones it can make 'home' pretty uncomfortable. (I have had a WONDERFUL 'urban' farm home (~10 acres each) that had crummy neighbors... it was no fun for any of us.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM

5,893 posts, read 13,519,865 times
check outlying towns around Saratoga Springs and the Adirondacks in upstate NY.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Something tells me that unless the OP thinks through what they are going to say before saying it, they are going to have issues with neighbors. Poor people steal so they want to live by wealthy people. Generally, when kids are involved, it doesn't matter whether they are rich or poor as is the case with vandalism. I am guessing that the OP feels if they relocate that they will be able to afford more in one of the states they have listed. Too many people make the assumption that certain areas are inexpensive but when putting together the dream of the land, ponds, mountain views - think $$$$ and anything affordable usually is away from the services of the city. Having grown up poor, I really take offense to the statements that have been made!
Poor 30 or 40 years ago was different than poor today.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM

7,093 posts, read 11,400,795 times
Lexington KY?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,993,216 times
Davis, WV/ Canaan Valley, WV

Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM

305 posts, read 895,458 times
I think you may be sorry you asked that question. I live in a rich neighborhood and stealing still goes on. I really dont think that matters and I assure I am not rich and I do not steal. Perhaps you could re phrase your question.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
I live in a poor rural town, and I don't blame you one bit. I'd move to an area like you describe, if I were wealthy, too.

I lived in Montana for awhile (hence my screen name). Being working "poor", I had to live in a mobile home - real estate is extremely expensive out there.

But I often thought, if I had the money, and didn't have to work, I'd move to Hamilton, Montana in the Bitteroot valley. Absolutely beautiful, unspoiled, secluded (a plus or minus depending on what you're looking for), charming clean down-town, virtually no thugs or "street" type crime (due to wealthy demographics there), and just an hour away from the University of Montana and Missoula for activities.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
Oh, sorry, you wanted East Coast.

Then I'd way check out the Western North Carolina mountain area: Asheville, etc. Lot's of wealthy people moving there, most new homes and developments going up are "upscale" and all that.

We have a small, exclusive, wealthy area here in my small, poor rural town. Mostly where the Doctors and Lawyers in that still live here are housed. However, I notice lots of the homes have "for sale" signs on them. As the economy has bottomed out here, crime has increased, and I think the rich crowd that lives around the "country club" area feel like sitting ducks. The welfare class is getting restless and a little less content to stay on "their side of the tracks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living