U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,116,559 times

Advertisements

I too can understand the OP's desire to live in a more wealthy area. If you have money and nice things, it can be uncomfortable to live in a town where everyone has less than you. You automatically stand out. People judge you for having money and being able to spend more freely. Sometimes neighbors and friends feel resentful or envious.

Living in a more moneyed area eliminates much of the problem, because your neighbors are well-off too. Makes it easier to fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I too can understand the OP's desire to live in a more wealthy area. If you have money and nice things, it can be uncomfortable to live in a town where everyone has less than you. You automatically stand out. People judge you for having money and being able to spend more freely. Sometimes neighbors and friends feel resentful or envious.

Living in a more moneyed area eliminates much of the problem, because your neighbors are well-off too. Makes it easier to fit in.
Oh, please. What a snobby attitude.

Most people in smaller towns don't give a rats ass if you are a Multi-Millionaire, or on food stamps. As long as you are a decent neighbor... that is the main thing.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

Most people in smaller towns don't give a rats ass if you are a Multi-Millionaire, or on food stamps. As long as you are a decent neighbor... that is the main thing.
I think it is about time we made a distinction between a poor-predominantly-farming town and a poor-predominantly-Walmart-dependent-town (for lack of better available description). The former I can agree with you somewhat (after all, apparently most farmers and ranchers are land-rich and cash-poor) but the latter, boy, you will stand out and you will be harassed. Just like there is the "new gentry" moving to rural areas, there is the new well, you name it, moving into and living in some rural areas. They have about the same respect for the old farming and country style of living as the new wealthy gentry everyone seems to like to hate on.

OD

Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,144,125 times
Quote: Just like there is the "new gentry" moving to rural areas, there is the new well, you name it, moving into and living in some rural areas. They have about the same respect for the old farming and country style of living as the new wealthy gentry everyone seems to like to hate on.

I've seen both types at work in the town my mother lives in. One "new gentry" came in and bought up all the surrounding farmland, a few of the people attracted by cheap housing (without family connection) have come and brought a new element of petty crime such as vandalism and theft, refusal to pay utilities, for goods and services (writing bad checks and refusing to honor them) and the deterioration of property, several others have brought a new xenophobia, surrounding their homes with fences and razor wire, detracting from the sense of community. End of the roaders, is we call this type of folk up here.

While the original post was probably poorly written, I get why if the OP has means, that they might not want to live in an area where they will have problems or will be singled out (or targeted) because of it. (Read montanamom's last paragraph of her last post. This is probably happening in quite a few areas of the USA.) Rather than make a mistake, the OP is trying to find their "tribe". Unfortunately, I know diddly about the east coast. I could be of some help with the west.

Personally, given the new realities with the economy, I think it might be best to keep displays of wealth to a minimum. Primarily I'm talking about flashy displays (such as high end designer items, new luxury cars, first generation electronics) that call the attention of the criminal element. The tragedy that occurred in a home invasion in Connecticut in 2007, started when the criminals spotted the mother and daughter in a grocery store and decided to follow them home to rob later. Such a victim choice could have been random but more likely, they looked like money.

Like others have said, getting along with one's neighbors and having something in common with them is priceless. Worth taking a few body blows (and we've all gotten the cheap shots that have asked about living in other areas, no matter how tactfully one inquires) to find the right place where one will fit in without chafing the folks that already live there.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Quote: Just like there is the "new gentry" moving to rural areas, there is the new well, you name it, moving into and living in some rural areas. They have about the same respect for the old farming and country style of living as the new wealthy gentry everyone seems to like to hate on.

I've seen both types at work in the town my mother lives in. One "new gentry" came in and bought up all the surrounding farmland, a few of the people attracted by cheap housing (without family connection) have come and brought a new element of petty crime such as vandalism and theft, refusal to pay utilities, for goods and services (writing bad checks and refusing to honor them) and the deterioration of property, several others have brought a new xenophobia, surrounding their homes with fences and razor wire, detracting from the sense of community. End of the roaders, is we call this type of folk up here.

While the original post was probably poorly written, I get why if the OP has means, that they might not want to live in an area where they will have problems or will be singled out (or targeted) because of it. (Read montanamom's last paragraph of her last post. This is probably happening in quite a few areas of the USA.) Rather than make a mistake, the OP is trying to find their "tribe". Unfortunately, I know diddly about the east coast. I could be of some help with the west.

Personally, given the new realities with the economy, I think it might be best to keep displays of wealth to a minimum. Primarily I'm talking about flashy displays (such as high end designer items, new luxury cars, first generation electronics) that call the attention of the criminal element. The tragedy that occurred in a home invasion in Connecticut in 2007, started when the criminals spotted the mother and daughter in a grocery store and decided to follow them home to rob later. Such a victim choice could have been random but more likely, they looked like money.

Like others have said, getting along with one's neighbors and having something in common with them is priceless. Worth taking a few body blows (and we've all gotten the cheap shots that have asked about living in other areas, no matter how tactfully one inquires) to find the right place where one will fit in without chafing the folks that already live there.
There was a fairly recent article in the Wall St Journal outlining the rapid purchase of farmland across the United States. A lot of people started preferring real assets to paper - as a result or cause (who knows), farmland is appreciating healthily across the country. The unfortunate part is that most of the a**holes that do this kind of purchase for investment will never even see the land they own all the while raising the price for people who want to move to the countryside and really live there.

What bothers me is the class division that seems to be intensifying across the countryside - in many small towns the criminal element seems to go hand in hand with the poverty and low levels of education. Maybe I am not discovering anything new but for me this is shocking since I always imagined the country as a quiet place....

Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM

50 posts, read 56,767 times
Santa Clause Indiana lol. Rich rich community and the towns population is around 5k.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 PM

5,044 posts, read 8,033,418 times
Quote:

I'm not so sure it's all about being a decent neighbor. I bought a fixer upper in a neighborhood that was mostly middle to average income, but had a few "questionable" rental places nearby.

I was a decent neighbor - but my home was broken into and robbed anyway. Conventional wisdom doesn't always ring true.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:

This is a myth that gets perpetuated. Being a nice person does not somehow makes the a**holes around you nice too.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
This is a myth that gets perpetuated. Being a nice person does not somehow makes the a**holes around you nice too.
Then the "myth" is alive and well in many small towns I have lived in. Plus the a$$holes in a place are not what was being discussed. It was whether or not a wealthy area is less prone to problems than a poorer area. The answer of course is "no there is no difference" based on wealth alone.

If you could comprehend what I wrote, you would see that I was saying people couldn't care less if YOU had money or not... not if them having money, would make them better neighbors. If a neighbor is going to be a thief, it doesn't matter if the town is considered wealthy or not, they are still going to be a low-life thief.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Then the "myth" is alive and well in many small towns I have lived in. Plus the a$$holes in a place are not what was being discussed. It was whether or not a wealthy area is less prone to problems than a poorer area. The answer of course is "no there is no difference" based on wealth alone.

If you could comprehend what I wrote, you would see that I was saying people couldn't care less if YOU had money or not... not if them having money, would make them better neighbors. If a neighbor is going to be a thief, it doesn't matter if the town is considered wealthy or not, they are still going to be a low-life thief.
Gee, it was very complicated to comprehend.

And I told you that there are neighborhoods and small towns where what you say holds true but (in my opinion) there are many more small towns where having money will make you stand out and you will be harassed and people will envy you. And no matter how nice you are, your poor a$$hole neighbors will hate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living