U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,693 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm looking to move to a wealthy rural town
Preferably on the eastern side of the U.S. (NY, PA, VA, OH, NC, KY)
Where the people are nice and there is a friendly vibe..
Somewhere farms are common (we have horses and dogs)
I'm hoping to have a beautiful view of mountains and preferably have some local small lakes or ponds.
We also love the forest, so it would be great if there were some wooded areas around like state parks.

There should be good schools, and a major city within 1-2 hours.

Does anyone know where I can find a place like this?
This is my dream place but I can't seem to find it unless I go midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
Why the requirement that it is a "wealthy" town? Wealth doesn't make a town or its people friendlier, or anything else.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,777,886 times
Lots of areas in PA, NY, NH, VT like that. My guess is you haven't even cruised Realtor dot com yet.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM

16,796 posts, read 10,711,499 times
a wealthy farming town??

good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
a wealthy farming town??

good luck!
What a suburbanite-gone-rural calls a "farm" is acreage with a house, an idea of a garden (maybe comes true and maybe not), some horses and maybe chicken down the road and most of all, no rednecks doing stupid and loud stuff around.... I am guessing that is why they're looking for a "wealthy" rural town. They don't want to live next to someone who will make their life miserable and envy the Mercedes...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM

woah.. I didn't expect this much hostility when I posted the question, I can't imagine what I did to upset everyone but I'm sorry
It seems like everyone has something nasty to say or something against the word 'wealthy'. So does anyone know where i can find a place like this MINUS THE WORD WEALTHY since it seems to be so offensive. Doesn't really seem like anyone is interested in being helpful, just being angry. I don't get it.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

People are people no matter how much money they have and to indicate wealth as a criteria for where to move indicates a snobbish and competitive attitude. If you lived next to someone who was poor, would you act any different towards them than if they were rich? How? Why?

I guess I don't know as I'd really want to live next to someone who cared so much about how much money I've got.

sorry-just trying to explain.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM

wow.. ok.
I only wrote that because my neighbors now, on both sides of me, are 'poor' as the term goes, and they steal from us constantly, our outdoor plants, our lawn furniture, and even on one occasion, some hubcaps, and if it's not them then it's their relatives/friends that come stay with them. So I was only hoping that if I moved to a "wealthy" town maybe this wouldn't happen. Maybe we actually make friends with our neighbors and our kids would have nice children to play with who don't carry knives.

again I'm sorry I was just looking for some help trying to find this place my husband and I have searching for, guess I came to the wrong forum

Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM

4,144 posts, read 13,516,864 times
Rich ppl sometimes steal too - it may not be that obvious but it happens - have you heard of Madoff - ? Wherever you live, you should lock up your items of value and maybe invest in a security system for inside and cameras for outside, it's only common sense. As for children, get involved w/ your children's friends, get them involved in activities sponsored by their schools (or churches) or not - karate, judo, swimming, 4H, scouting etc are just a handful of activities where they'd meet kids and make friends, they dont need to hang around and do nothing all summer long (not saying they do but it's hard to read between the lines of your posts). As for areas, it depends totally where you work and what you like, there's plenty of nice rural areas that have horses and w/b ideal for dogs in every state you mentioned (as well as large cities nearby) but you have to visit them and do your homework (check out some forums), you've really given scant info, it's too vague.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus420 View Post
wow.. ok.
I only wrote that because my neighbors now, on both sides of me, are 'poor' as the term goes, and they steal from us constantly, our outdoor plants, our lawn furniture, and even on one occasion, some hubcaps, and if it's not them then it's their relatives/friends that come stay with them. So I was only hoping that if I moved to a "wealthy" town maybe this wouldn't happen. Maybe we actually make friends with our neighbors and our kids would have nice children to play with who don't carry knives.

again I'm sorry I was just looking for some help trying to find this place my husband and I have searching for, guess I came to the wrong forum
poor does not necessarily mean dishonest. You might try western NY or NE PA. Not sure about any of the other states you mentioned. Maybe Maine? The southern part has almost the same climate and people are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living