U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,360,298 times

Advertisements

I'll nominate Cockburn Island, located to the west of Manitoulin Island, in Ontario, Canada.

It was populated up until the Ontario Government stopped running the daily ferry to the island in 1966.
By 1970, it was totally unpopulated, as every body had moved to the north shore of Georgian Bay.

Now it is a deserted place, that is sometimes visited by summer tourists.

in its heyday, it had about 600 residents.

here is a link to the island's history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockburn_Island_(Ontario)

The homes, school, gas station, stores and community centre are still there, but run down, and crumbling.

A modern ghost town, in central Ontario.

Jim B

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 PM

35 posts, read 53,900 times
Default Abilene

Abilene, TX is freaking nuts! They have the stupidest people running that town. A hooters and six flags was supposed to open but the board said no way. Also, they tried to get Magic Mike not to show. Can you say Bible Thumpers?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,554,266 times
Aripeka Fl

Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM

442 posts, read 388,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurv1 View Post
Yeah I know trying to hold on to the past is impossible. I think a group of people should put together a town that has a desire to live in the 50's. That is everything would be a 50's theme. For those that choose to live there would drive classic cars, dress from the era and promote a 50's lifestyle. There could be a malt shop, a gas station with full service, maybe even a drive in. A real back to the future place. Is this a bad thing?
I am in!

I have lived in a big city for all of my 34 years (minus the 1 year away from here at college) and I am D.O.N.E.
I am tired of bumper to bumper traffic, tired of murders, tired of Wal-Mart and Target and McD's on every corner. Tired of consumerism and materialism. I want a nice, modest house on a tree lined street, with yards, and nice neighbors. No traffic racing down my street with their bass pumping. I want small a community feel, with values, friendliness, and kindness.
It has to exist somewhere....

MSP does NOT offer this. I am ready to be OUT!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 PM

21,113 posts, read 36,608,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
I am in!

I have lived in a big city for all of my 34 years (minus the 1 year away from here at college) and I am D.O.N.E.
I am tired of bumper to bumper traffic, tired of murders, tired of Wal-Mart and Target and McD's on every corner. Tired of consumerism and materialism. I want a nice, modest house on a tree lined street, with yards, and nice neighbors. No traffic racing down my street with their bass pumping. I want small a community feel, with values, friendliness, and kindness.

A couple places in Minnesota that would offer what you are looking for would be Alexandria and Brainerd/Baxter.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 PM

5,329 posts, read 8,871,463 times
Smile What I miss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
I am in!

I miss the small stores owned by your local people. It felt like a community. Bigger is not always better. The sameness of it gets really old. I went to NYC to visit my daughter and there were huge stores where we went just like the ones at home. At least, we walked a couple of blocks and found a cool neighborhood.

Somone should rebuild or resurrect some of our small towns around the country; if we build it, they will come, right?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,970,194 times
Well, if you don't mind starting in the thirties, this is your place.

redoakiimissouri.com: Red Oak II Missoura

Jump into the fifties you can try Jasper, Arkansas.

Jasper - Jasper Arkansas - Jasper AR

For a bit of mix and match in culure and scenery, there is always Branson Missouri, especially The tSrip.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM

20,692 posts, read 19,649,500 times
There are some in Massachusetts but you wouldn't want to live there.

One is called Ware. Probably long ago it was rural and pretty but mills were built there and everyone worked in the mills. You still have the row houses for the workers and a few mansions for the mill owners.

Then, in the 1930s the state built a huge resevoir by damming a river and the town was cut off from civilization. So you got a run down left over mill town with a town full of destitute former mill employees and their families and they were trapped!

About 30 years ago they actually sold off their genuine ice cream soda shop, counters, stools and all, to some place in CA. I don't think the old movie theater ever got renovated and I don't want to go and check.

If you have read this far, there is a website for photos of Ware (and the pretty ones are not from there) and there is a naked lady in there. I kid you not. And no one seems to care. I do wish they had better pictures of the 1950s Main Street but they do have one of the 1950s laundromat.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,254,997 times
The Orange County Fair. During summer seasons. California.

The trailors they exhibit their artwork literally look like it came from cowboy barns.

Filled with haystacks and hay all over the place.

Nice to be stuck in a time capsule every so often. The smell of swine feces doesn't appeal to me in a summer heat's night. But, hey- pepes diggit!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM

5,929 posts, read 5,937,089 times
how about taking a trip on Route 66. Some of the mom and pop businesses are there as they are counting on sentimental people travling again on Route 66.

Also, you might like to go to some towns that are historical that people dress up in period costumes, and well even though it might be older than 1950's but it might give you that old fashioned feel. do they do that in Colonial Williamsburg?

I dont travel much, so I dont know, but I did go to Hannibal MO and the downtown has that feel, partly because they havent upgraded as much as maybe other towns, but also go to any town noted for historic stuff and that might be your best bet.. that and route 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living