U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM

70 posts, read 48,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
While a nice town, Lakeland, Florida seems to be stuck in time.

How ironic. I lived in Lakeland over 30 years and find it to be a "happening place" compared to the little town I just posted about. It's all a matter of perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 PM

7,120 posts, read 12,742,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDER04 View Post
How ironic. I lived in Lakeland over 30 years and find it to be a "happening place" compared to the little town I just posted about. It's all a matter of perspective.

Yes I agree its all a matter of perspective. A lot depends on a person's background, where they have lived in their life, their comparisons. I like Lakeland but for me no it doesn't seem like a happening place, but then I have lived in a number of areas of the world as well as the US. Lakeland feels very slow to me, but that's not a bad thing by no means.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 4,268,909 times
Omg, there are scads and scads of them!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:02 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Our town has one store-front business, it is a gunsmith. Folks meet there once a week for coffee. My Dw calls it Floyd's Barbershop in memory of Andy Griffith.

Our town is mostly rural, dense forest with a river and the interstate cutting through town.

We have one maintained road. Along some parts of the road there are power and phone lines, so homeowners on that part of the road have access to utility power and phone. Otherwise most parcels here in town do not have access to power or phone.

It took me a while to get used to how business is done here, you can call and leave a message. Then at night after people have returned home and eaten supper, then they return your phone call.

Our town has a cellphone tower, but only because the interstate cuts through our town. Cellphone companies wants to have coverage all along the interstate. Towns to our East and to our West do not have cellphone signal. Most towns in our county do not have cellphones, only in the city [the county seat], and along the interstate is there cellphone signal.

Every family here hunts and fishes. A lot of people trap and forage. I let trappers on my land mostly for bobcat and coyote. I also let a few hunters on my land for the bears. More deer are harvested in our town every year, than we have human population. Moose are also a common sight.

I was not here in the 1950s. I think the only difference between now and then was that back then the road was gravel. I wish it was gravel today.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 AM

598 posts, read 411,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
I doubt that there are any towns still stuck in the 1950s or 1960s. But there is a hardware store near me in a small town in rural Missouri that is like a "blast from the past." It's like stepping back into the '50s and '60s.

The hardware store at one time had been a part of the Ben Franklin/ACE Hardware chain. They probably dropped out of it and became an independent hardware store in the late 1960s. They still have thousands of household items and tools from the 1950's and 1960's in their original packaging. I love going to that store. It's probably an antique hunter's dream. Somehow this small family-owned hardware store still holds on, even though there is a Wal-Mart across town.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
No; if you go the old roads in many states you can find towns once important during railroad dominance that still are aging in place. If you go high enough even in Colorado there are old mining towns more or less as left suddenly still there but best ones means hiking. Others the Jeep tours take you right to them. Pretty controlled as the temperature in July can be in 20's and air limits much physical effort by most. Once you get west of Mississippi huge amount of undeveloped land. The trip from Dallas area thru New Mexico to Colorado other than few larger towns is pretty much little developed as example still.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
I live in a small town that for outsiders, I'm sure, would seem to be stuck in time on an appearance level. We have the quaint town square, the town diner, the old courthouse with the clock like "Back to the Future", community events, the annual country fair, etc. This truly was a Mayberry type town back in the 50's and 60's.

Unfortunately, the economic realities of today, along with 21st century ills of society, are present here, and everywhere else; no escaping it.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,188,202 times
just go to any rural farming town.everyone still thinks like its pre 1950's.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:16 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,524,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
I've been a number of times through Brownsville, Pennsylvania (in southwestern Pennsylvania, in the Monongahela Valley region) that looks like it is frozen in the 1930s or 1940s (if not earlier, such as the 1920s). It appears to never change to any significant degree that takes away that utterly dated look-and-feel. Hard to believe such a place exists in modern-day America. It is (or was) so lacking in amenities, modernities, infrastructure, et al. A former mill town that time forgot.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 PM

5,994 posts, read 6,518,822 times
Just about anywhere in Downeast Maine or the county, seems to be trapped in time, not much has changed since I was a kid in the 1960s. There is a reason why I plan to retire there, the area I live in now has been ruined by sprawl and people from away trying to change the area into the places they just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living