U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM

398 posts, read 160,751 times

Advertisements

Three towns I've visited remind me of "times gone by". Although all have modern amenities such as cell phone service and cable, they haven't changed in appearance or lifestyle much from the past. They all have the look and feel of years ago.

Salmon, Idaho come to mind first. I first went there in 1969 and then visited again in 2016. The population hasn't grown as the economy is based on ranching and agriculture, both dependent on available land and water. Without increases in those, there has been no growth. The only notable addition I've seen is the installation of a second traffic light on Main Street.

Galax, Virginia is another such town. Over three days, I think I saw three vehicles that weren't American brands. Small population, somewhat isolated in the mountains of SW Virginia.

Hannibal, Missouri. Looks today like it did when I first visited in the mid-1960's. People are conservative (not necessarily politically) and live a small town life style. Little or no population growth means no influx of people from other places bringing in diverse cultures.

In these towns, international food and restaurants are restricted to Chinese take-out, Italian (pizza and spaghetti), Mexican (tacos). Nothing like Cuban, Peruvian, French, German, or other international foods. I bet 99% of the population has never tasted jasmine rice, pierogi, or escargot. Nor do they care. Not that that this is a negative, it just reflects on the local population's view of the world. And that has kept them in "times gone by."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Three towns I've visited remind me of "times gone by". Although all have modern amenities such as cell phone service and cable, they haven't changed in appearance or lifestyle much from the past. They all have the look and feel of years ago.
The majority of towns in Maine lack cellphone service and cable. My town [Argyle, Maine population 235] has the interstate cutting through town, so we have a cellphone tower and good signal. But still no cable.

Quote:
... Salmon, Idaho come to mind first. I first went there in 1969 and then visited again in 2016. The population hasn't grown as the economy is based on ranching and agriculture, both dependent on available land and water. Without increases in those, there has been no growth. The only notable addition I've seen is the installation of a second traffic light on Main Street.

Galax, Virginia is another such town. Over three days, I think I saw three vehicles that weren't American brands. Small population, somewhat isolated in the mountains of SW Virginia.

Hannibal, Missouri. Looks today like it did when I first visited in the mid-1960's. People are conservative (not necessarily politically) and live a small town life style. Little or no population growth means no influx of people from other places bringing in diverse cultures.

In these towns, international food and restaurants are restricted to Chinese take-out, Italian (pizza and spaghetti), Mexican (tacos). Nothing like Cuban, Peruvian, French, German, or other international foods. I bet 99% of the population has never tasted jasmine rice, pierogi, or escargot. Nor do they care. Not that that this is a negative, it just reflects on the local population's view of the world. And that has kept them in "times gone by."
I am not aware of any Cuban, Peruvian, French, or German restaurants in this state.

When we were exploring Maine we found one small town that has no landline phones and there are no cellphone towers. The gas station does not accept credit cards, you must pay cash or 'local' checks.

It is very common for towns around here to not have any traffic lights, our town has none. We have one stop sign.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,524,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post

Salmon, Idaho come to mind first. I first went there in 1969 and then visited again in 2016. The population hasn't grown as the economy is based on ranching and agriculture, both dependent on available land and water. Without increases in those, there has been no growth. The only notable addition I've seen is the installation of a second traffic light on Main Street.

Salmon, Idaho? Sounds fishy to me! <<<<<<<<< I couldn't resist the pun. What can I say? The ladies all tell me that I'm a real catch (another pun for 'ya!).

Hannibal, Missouri: I passed through Hannibal, Missouri by car many many decades ago (on the way from the Quad Cities along the Iowa-Illinois border to St Louis, Missouri). Didn't get to explore it though but just passed through it. I know that it is the site of the various Mark Twain-authored stories based on his invented characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM

29,581 posts, read 64,130,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
Lake Wobegon, MN ... the little town that time forgot and the decades cannot improve.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM

398 posts, read 160,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Lake Wobegon, MN ... the little town that time forgot and the decades cannot improve.

Ah, yes, out there on the edge of the prairie.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 PM

7,948 posts, read 19,858,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Wow! Widest residential streets I have ever seen. Why are there only single story bungalows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda,_Montana

That's why I picked this town, wide open streets, every lawn is manicured and cut perfectly as if Saturday morning every went out and cut their lawns with a push blade mower. Notice how symmetrical the town and streets and house are and how every thing seems in place and no clutter of bushes hedges or trees.

It looks like Levittown,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2Kt0Qppahfo

Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM

10,618 posts, read 12,647,013 times
Love Maine.
Can't wait to move there.
Hopefully within the next 5 years.
Would like to be mostly off-grid but with cell/internet. Don't want TV or landlines.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Love Maine.
Can't wait to move there.
Hopefully within the next 5 years.
Would like to be mostly off-grid but with cell/internet. Don't want TV or landlines.
In my town, your options for internet access is either satellite [which is pretty expensive] or else landline.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM

10,618 posts, read 12,647,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my town, your options for internet access is either satellite [which is pretty expensive] or else landline.
Yeah I know it can be sketchy depending on where you are. Having a real tough time finding a place to live. Every time we think we found an area we find another one that's like "whoa what about here?". Lol. Maine is just too awesome.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,954,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?

LMAO. Try Belmont NV. It's stuck in the 50s and 60s. 1850s and 60s. I love it there. Wish I could live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living