U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 748 times

Advertisements

As a french guy, don't know what i'm doing here, wait...

Maybe that movie, BTTF, god, how us the children of the 80's have been stucked in our boomers/parents fantasies !

Anyway, like Michael Jackson songs, we know the truth behind our cherished icons may be a little less pure than in our childhood dreams, the only thing left is that but our emotions were true, hence the nostalgia.

I think it is possible to gather, or build a city where people can live in a global "50's feel" and i would be in ! But to me, that would not just happen listening to buddy holly, an live in place that look like that.

Time passed and made too much changes in us other than cosmetics, in my opinion, to get back to that era of "simplicity" we would have to cleanse our body and soul from everything that drived us crazy.

Everything is related, when there was no major inbalances in our bodies, we were doing things simply, and like i read, there was no problems that needed more than 30 minutes to get solved.

Today our genes and hormones are under attack, we get p....d off at stupid things, kids go crazy and cannot be calmed even with strict education and care.

Mercury, chemicals bad food, severly damaged ou brains, a deep detox is unavoidable + regular practice of meditation.

At this moment, the only way that me me touch in brief moments the feeling of innocence, pure joy, bliss and optimism i could experience in my childhood is i guess, the combination of these two things.

I would love now to combine that with living in such a place.

Thanks to everyone here to make me discover these beautiful towns that seem even more exotic to me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM

1,935 posts, read 1,413,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrekker View Post
As a french guy, don't know what i'm doing here, wait...

Maybe that movie, BTTF, god, how us the children of the 80's have been stucked in our boomers/parents fantasies !

Anyway, like Michael Jackson songs, we know the truth behind our cherished icons may be a little less pure than in our childhood dreams, the only thing left is that but our emotions were true, hence the nostalgia.

I think it is possible to gather, or build a city where people can live in a global "50's feel" and i would be in ! But to me, that would not just happen listening to buddy holly, an live in place that look like that.

Time passed and made too much changes in us other than cosmetics, in my opinion, to get back to that era of "simplicity" we would have to cleanse our body and soul from everything that drived us crazy.

Everything is related, when there was no major inbalances in our bodies, we were doing things simply, and like i read, there was no problems that needed more than 30 minutes to get solved.

Today our genes and hormones are under attack, we get p....d off at stupid things, kids go crazy and cannot be calmed even with strict education and care.

Mercury, chemicals bad food, severly damaged ou brains, a deep detox is unavoidable + regular practice of meditation.

At this moment, the only way that me me touch in brief moments the feeling of innocence, pure joy, bliss and optimism i could experience in my childhood is i guess, the combination of these two things.

I would love now to combine that with living in such a place.

Thanks to everyone here to make me discover these beautiful towns that seem even more exotic to me !

This is so true. Just makes you want to return to the simple things in life.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 748 times
I can't remember if this town have been mentionned before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qElx909p5dY
pretty convincing !

Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 AM

303 posts, read 108,740 times
I really love the old era of towns especially if they hold onto them.

The place we bought in the PNW was built by the retired art professor and his wife the retired librarian from UC Berkeley.
Kinda artsy is an understatement.
In their art studio we found an old box style rotary dial up phone.
This is the phone we are going to use.
It deserves to be here.
Andy

Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM

472 posts, read 163,295 times
The upper peninsula in Michigan is like traveling back in time. Especially Calumet to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has virtually no cell phone reception, an old fashion 1 pump gas station, a small general store, old lighthouse, and some of the most peaceful lakes. Also, you can drive up to Brockway Mountain at night and see the northern lights over Lake Superior.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM

21,118 posts, read 36,619,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
The upper peninsula in Michigan is like traveling back in time. Especially Calumet to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has virtually no cell phone reception, an old fashion 1 pump gas station, a small general store, old lighthouse, and some of the most peaceful lakes. Also, you can drive up to Brockway Mountain at night and see the northern lights over Lake Superior.
Gogebic Lake is about the same way, perhaps slightly more modern, but feels like stepping back several decades into the past.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:23 PM

7,530 posts, read 6,541,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Chattauqua NY. It's a non automobile based vacation place out of 100 years ago. The vacation is self improvement related. Music, astronomy, Astro physics you name it. Not sure how the town is as the institute is fenced in and bicycle or walking is how you get around.

Another place in Oklahoma comes to mind. Talihina. Driving into Oklahoma set your clocks back two decades in the state. But talihina is back woods compared to the rest of Oklahoma. This is where time passed over. It's got lots of water, fertlile land and four seasons. Perfect for preppers or going off grid too.
Talihina is like 22nd century living compared to Durant. C'mon now.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:02 PM

354 posts, read 121,171 times
I haven’t read the entire discussion, but back in the 1980’s we visited Cooperstown, NY, with our sons. It felt like we’d stepped back into the 50’s. It was charming, the cafes we ate in were very inexpensive, people were friendly. The entire area was beautiful. Coming from the flat land of the Midwest, it was lovely.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:46 AM

8,468 posts, read 8,923,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I haven’t read the entire discussion, but back in the 1980’s we visited Cooperstown, NY, with our sons. It felt like we’d stepped back into the 50’s. It was charming, the cafes we ate in were very inexpensive, people were friendly. The entire area was beautiful. Coming from the flat land of the Midwest, it was lovely.
It's still charming, but not inexpensive during the summer and doesn't resemble 1950s any more. Its gotten more crowded, especially during special Hall of Fame weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living